BWR are certain months better than others for searching

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wonding if anyone has ever noticed that newly minted coins appear to infest BWR more frequently during certain months of the year or is it just bad luck.

I have been collecting silver coins for years but just on the bases of dumb luck finding them here or there, until recently. My daughter and I went through a couple very large "jar" of coins and found a number of silver dimes and a war nickel. So I kind of started into this hobby at that point last spring actively searching for coins.

I do not have a real depth of experience to fall back on so I was just wandering if newly minted dimes or any other coins for that matter seem to show up more at certain points during the year or is it just random.

Upvote 0

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
It seems to depend on what part of the country you are in and whether you are in a large metro area. I think the first reports of 2012s this year on this board were in early March, I started seeing them in early April (very large metro) and I'm still getting them pretty regularly. Probably by the end of summer most of the new ones will have disbursed into general circulation and we won't be getting these solid 2012 rolls anymore.

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds likely,

I would be interested in seeing how coins are actually disbursed. Are they almost entirely put into circulation at major metro areas and then spread out through normal commerce or do cities like Amarillo TX with a population just under 200,000 in the middle of the TX panhandle, get shipped newly minted coins by the Treasury.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds likely,

I would be interested in seeing how coins are actually disbursed. Are they almost entirely put into circulation at major metro areas and then spread out through normal commerce or do cities like Amarillo TX with a population just under 200,000 in the middle of the TX panhandle, get shipped newly minted coins by the Treasury.
This is a great question if anybody can shed some light?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there's no rhyme or reason to why or when the mint distributes new coin... i did not get a single 2012 coin until april of this year and have been plagued with 2012 dimes and nickels(and sometimes pennies) since then, it's a losing battle, but they will be gone... soon enough the 2013 coins will be out there and the vicious cycle repeats itself.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Interesting thread. I live in a fairly small town in the northeast and my 2012 experience started in June and lasted only 2 weeks. All I saw were dimes. Haven't gotten any 2012 nickels. I don't know if I'm safe yet but so far so good. HH

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started getting rolls of 2012s in June from Chase and BofA. Switched to CWR but much harder to get quantity. Brinks rolls have never been much for me but BofA has worked out alright.

I had the stranges group of CWRs this weeked, picked up $250 worth of dimes. Started going throught them and they looked like 2012, they were so clean but they were not new 2012s. I actually did not see one 2012, but they sure looked like 2012. This was about $100 worth of the 250. Got one 1964 dime out of the group.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread