Hi Neighbor !

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Yup, I followed your tracks all day long today.

Although I have never met you, I already know a thing or two about the way you CRH.

There must be three or four different members of your family that CRH with you.

What fun you must have !

As each of you peels the paper off of the roll of halves and edge searches it, you paint the side of the roll with a huge felt-tip marker or a small paint brush, at least 3/4 of an inch wide.

One of you is business-like...you use Black.

Another favors Blue.

The snarky one wields Blood-Red.

The different one uses Purple.

Just like a polluted rainbow.....

And you are high-volume just like me.
You saved me the trouble of thinking these halves weren't searched before.

Well, that's all for now, got to go. Just thought I would chat a bit.

Keep on Rollin' !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
what state are you in

I'm on the Western end of the Country.
If my clad-painting neighbor reads the forum, he will recognize the description.

I'm not meaning to stir up a fight, or anything.
I am prejudiced against marked coin. But to each his own.

I mostly want my neighbor to know his/her efforts have not gone unappreciated.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have marked rolls in those colors

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I have marked rolls in those colors

Well, if these are yours, its a big country and more power to you.

I hope you will forgive a little angst on my part; I guess I was mostly trying to get a response from whoever was showing up in my territory (which really isn't MINE, I just CRH here).

Besides, if the clad has already been searched, I would rather know it.

Keep on Rollin' !

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been getting more and more marked coins as well. There has been a slight change (well, not so slight). Now I am opening boxes with loads of ever-so-slight, lightly colored coins that appear to have been soaked (not spray painted) in a pink frosty color. Almost like the blush I wear. :) This includes dime boxes as well. Then, there is another CRHunter that indeed utilizes spray paint on halves (a light goldish color). I have even found a few nickels marked lately as I never had in the past. Just waiting to see when cents will join the game.
apush

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can't imagine how many marked halves i see, and there are so many different vareities out there! anywhere from that fat black rim mark to mama's pizzaria, and everything inbetween.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
you can't imagine how many marked halves i see, and there are so many different vareities out there! anywhere from that fat black rim mark to mama's pizzaria, and everything inbetween.

The ones that get me are the rims are like painted or crayoned white ( look like silver at first glance), I hate that false sense of finding something, lol. Maverick

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hijack your thread PD, but I'm going to repeat my rebuttal argument(s) to the argument(s) for marking coins.

I've tried to get anyone who marks in high volume to explain the reasoning for it. No one has offered any explanation for how it creates an advantage. The flimsy reasons I've heard include:

1) So that I know if I'm cycling through my own dumps
Most of what everyone searches is dumps - either yours or someone else's dumps. If you are finding keepers, it is because there are enough dumps in your supply stream to stir up the good stuff that would otherwise lay idle. If you get your mark, you have no way of knowing if it is directly cycled to you or if another hunter had them and dumped them into your stream. It doesn't matter how often and how you change your mark, there is no way to know how many times those coins changed hands before you got them back. You don't know how long the processing center takes to pick up, roll, and deliver. There are hunters who pick up and dump in the same day. It just isn't possible. If you are convinced you know, tell us how.

2) To scare the competition away.
As I've mentioned before, high volume marking of coins could easily backfire on the hunter who is counting on "scarring the competition" away.

>>If<<, I don't believe it, but if, you are doing enough volume to influence the flow of keepers, I would think that you would want your competition to unknowingly search your dumps rather than to clue them in that their source is flooded with your searched coin. The logic is supposedly that the competition seeing tons of marked coin will give up. If a hunter is discouraged by marked coins to the degree that they quit the hobby entirely, they would be quitting soon enough anyway and the scare tactic accelerates that only slightly. It is better to keep them busy searching your dumps rather than push them to hunt somewhere else.

More likely, the hunter will look for a different supply and possibly land in YOUR supply. Now, the competition becomes real. When they were getting your dumps from their supply, they were no risk to you. If they start drawing from the same pool as you, they are competition. It is far better to keep your competition downstream from you. If you tip them off, they might move upstream. If they don't mark, you've shot yourself in the foot and don't even know it.

3) One member, obviously smarter than me, says that "any idiot" can see why you would mark coins.
I don't see it. I might not be the typical idiot and I want someone to spell it out for me. If someone is up to the task, lay out the logic. Explain how you know the marked coins you see are your direct dumps rather than 2nd hand dumps. Explain why you would want to alert your competition that their supply is diluted with your dumps. Or, explain the alternate logic that makes marking make sense.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
^^^ I really don't see the need to poke the hornets nest with a stick again. Maverick.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
We have had many boxes that have lots of marked coins in them that still produce silver because once they get sorted back into the mix at the sorting facility they will all be mixed together anyway.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) So that I know if I'm cycling through my own dumps
Most of what everyone searches is dumps - either yours or someone else's dumps. If you are finding keepers, it is because there are enough dumps in your supply stream to stir up the good stuff that would otherwise lay idle. If you get your mark, you have no way of knowing if it is directly cycled to you or if another hunter had them and dumped them into your stream. It doesn't matter how often and how you change your mark, there is no way to know how many times those coins changed hands before you got them back. You don't know how long the processing center takes to pick up, roll, and deliver. There are hunters who pick up and dump in the same day. It just isn't possible. If you are convinced you know, tell us how.

Ill respond to this one.

Marking coins will give you a general idea on how quickly they cycle through the processor. IE- if you dump a large quantity of newly marked coin and you see those marks in next weeks batch it takes one week to cycle coin. Once the coins have cycled once, they no longer tell you anything and you would have to mark differently. Outside that, I see no other reason. My box with 120 keepers had many hundred that were marked, including many of the 40% coins.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marking coins is worthless.

Go enroll in your local community college Stat 101 class and you will find out why!

For those who insist - please keep on wasting your time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread