How many of you...?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a question for all you halves searchers. How many of you have found Proof 1964 halves or 1970-D halves in boxes before? I have a 1970 U.C. set, but I'm not about to hack it apart and take the half out for my Intercept Shield book and I don't want to pay $15+ for just the half that someone else cut out of one. I don't have the 1964 proof set, but I also don't want to spend $25+ for just the half out of it. How many of you have found these before, and how easy are they to come by?
HH,
- DS

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 1970 40% silver halves, out of the 600 or so boxes I have searched. They are not common.

OP
OP
B

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 3 1970 40% silver halves, out of the 600 or so boxes I have searched. They are not common.

Dang. I know that there aren't many out there (I think like 2.2 mil, but if I am wrong, correct me) but I was hoping they would be a little easier to find. What about '64 proofs, Namster?

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
I've found one (1) 1970-D in around 4 years of searching @ a long-term average of about 20 boxes per month. Not huge volume, but not tiny either. You're going to need to get extremely lucky. My advice would be to pick up the sets and crack them out. You can cherry pick these sets if you have multiple shops in your area as well to find a nice example of each. Proof and mint sets are historically cheap now. And anyways you're not going to want either of those two coins in your book once they've been banged around in circulation. Just my opinion.

Jeff

OP
OP
B

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found one (1) 1970-D in around 4 years of searching @ a long-term average of about 20 boxes per month. Not huge volume, but not tiny either. You're going to need to get extremely lucky. My advice would be to pick up the sets and crack them out. You can cherry pick these sets if you have multiple shops in your area as well to find a nice example of each. Proof and mint sets are historically cheap now. And anyways you're not going to want either of those two coins in your book once they've been banged around in circulation. Just my opinion.

Jeff

See, that's my problem though. I love proof/mint sets. I couldn't do that myself. And I'm okay with finding one of those in circulation. I would be okay. That or else I could sell it online and fund myself a better shape one though. And I only have one shop in my area, and he NEVER buys/sells the sets, unless they are cracked apart.

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
I just found my second 70-D half in a box about 30 minutes ago. I found one last year in what appeared to be a collection dump. Tonight's was pretty much solo so kinda odd. I have never come across any 64 proofs, even 40% proofs are rare for me. I found a 68-s in another box tonight which I will have to go back and check, but I believe that is my first 40% proof. I've gone through 400 or so boxes.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 1 1970d, but it was in a CWR from the bank, not a box. I have searched ~ 400 boxes or so. I found 1 69s proof and 1 76s unc silver, but I have never found a 64 proof half. If you want either one, just buy one at ebay or at a coin shop. They are commonly sold separately.

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep a record of what I find. On January 22, 2012 I found a 1955 Proof Ben along with four 1970 D Kennedy's. There were an additional eight 40% Kennedy's and twelve other proofs from 1981 - 1994.
They're out there. Just wait for some unsuspecting soul to dump a recently decease's collection.

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
I have a 1964 Kennedy Proof.Because an old woman brought a 1964 proof set in the bank still in the manilla envelope.I gave her 15.00 for it.

OP
OP
B

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
Easy said:
Ok, are we looking for a 1970-d half or a 1970-d proof half?

It looks like he means proof for both. Proof is now bolded in his message, don't believe it was when I replied last night. A little confusing the way it was written. If you are looking for proofs, you might as well buy them from your LCS or eBay. With the slim chance you MIGHT find some, their condition is not going to be what you are looking for from a coin collecting perspective since they will have wear from circulation.

OP
OP
B

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found 1 1970d, but it was in a CWR from the bank, not a box. I have searched ~ 400 boxes or so. I found 1 69s proof and 1 76s unc silver, but I have never found a 64 proof half. If you want either one, just buy one at ebay or at a coin shop. They are commonly sold separately.

I know that they are, but my problem is simply I don't want to pay an arm and a leg; that's why I CRH... I was just wondering what my chances of finding one would be. Thank you for the input though!

Thank you to everyone so far! :) :icon_thumleft:
- DS

OP
OP
B

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like he means proof for both. Proof is now bolded in his message, don't believe it was when I replied last night. A little confusing the way it was written. If you are looking for proofs, you might as well buy them from your LCS or eBay. With the slim chance you MIGHT find some, their condition is not going to be what you are looking for from a coin collecting perspective since they will have wear from circulation.

Proof was bolded in the first message, because I didn't edit it after I posted it. I didn't realize that it sounded odd, but reading it, I can see where the confusion comes from. Sorry. :( And I'm not going to be heartbroken if the proof has a bit of wear. I'd probably upgrade when I get the money, but I don't have a ton of money right now, so I can't plop down $40+ on just the 2 halves.

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
boristhespider88 said:
Proof was bolded in the first message, because I didn't edit it after I posted it. I didn't realize that it sounded odd, but reading it, I can see where the confusion comes from. Sorry. :( And I'm not going to be heartbroken if the proof has a bit of wear. I'd probably upgrade when I get the money, but I don't have a ton of money right now, so I can't plop down $40+ on just the 2 halves.

Must have missed the bold, it was late when I read it. I can't see edits on my iPhone app so wasn't sure. I have only heard of a couple pulled crh, but it is definitely possible, just slim odds.

OP
OP
B

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Must have missed the bold, it was late when I read it. I can't see edits on my iPhone app so wasn't sure. I have only heard of a couple pulled crh, but it is definitely possible, just slim odds.

It's all good, man. I know, I hate that you can't do that... I have the same trouble on my Droid X and on my iPad. Well, I hope I will be able to find at least something good. Like I said, even if it isn't the prettiest coin in the collection, I'll still like it. I got a 2005-S clad proof the other day that was beat all to hell, and I still kept it, just because I didn't have one yet. :) Fingers crossed, hoping I will get lucky one day.
- DS

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
We've been CRHing for about 1.5-2 years now & haven't found a 1970 or ANY silver proofs yet :(

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found all the proofs and SMS's besides the 64 for the 64-70 series

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread