Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How many of you...?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2012
    Southern United States
    718 times
    Coin Roll Hunting

How many of you...?

I have a question for all you halves searchers. How many of you have found Proof 1964 halves or 1970-D halves in boxes before? I have a 1970 U.C. set, but I'm not about to hack it apart and take the half out for my Intercept Shield book and I don't want to pay $15+ for just the half that someone else cut out of one. I don't have the 1964 proof set, but I also don't want to spend $25+ for just the half out of it. How many of you have found these before, and how easy are they to come by?
    HH,
    - DS

us
    Nov 2011
    Sulphur, NV
    419 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have 3 1970 40% silver halves, out of the 600 or so boxes I have searched. They are not common.

us
    May 2012
    Southern United States
    718 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by namster View Post
    I have 3 1970 40% silver halves, out of the 600 or so boxes I have searched. They are not common.
    Dang. I know that there aren't many out there (I think like 2.2 mil, but if I am wrong, correct me) but I was hoping they would be a little easier to find. What about '64 proofs, Namster?

us
    Feb 2010
    7 times
    I've found one (1) 1970-D in around 4 years of searching @ a long-term average of about 20 boxes per month. Not huge volume, but not tiny either. You're going to need to get extremely lucky. My advice would be to pick up the sets and crack them out. You can cherry pick these sets if you have multiple shops in your area as well to find a nice example of each. Proof and mint sets are historically cheap now. And anyways you're not going to want either of those two coins in your book once they've been banged around in circulation. Just my opinion.

Jeff

us
    May 2012
    Southern United States
    718 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by cecropia_moth View Post
    I've found one (1) 1970-D in around 4 years of searching @ a long-term average of about 20 boxes per month. Not huge volume, but not tiny either. You're going to need to get extremely lucky. My advice would be to pick up the sets and crack them out. You can cherry pick these sets if you have multiple shops in your area as well to find a nice example of each. Proof and mint sets are historically cheap now. And anyways you're not going to want either of those two coins in your book once they've been banged around in circulation. Just my opinion.

Jeff
    See, that's my problem though. I love proof/mint sets. I couldn't do that myself. And I'm okay with finding one of those in circulation. I would be okay. That or else I could sell it online and fund myself a better shape one though. And I only have one shop in my area, and he NEVER buys/sells the sets, unless they are cracked apart.

May 2012
    26 times
    I just found my second 70-D half in a box about 30 minutes ago. I found one last year in what appeared to be a collection dump. Tonight's was pretty much solo so kinda odd. I have never come across any 64 proofs, even 40% proofs are rare for me. I found a 68-s in another box tonight which I will have to go back and check, but I believe that is my first 40% proof. I've gone through 400 or so boxes.

us
    Apr 2011
    676 times
    I found 1 1970d, but it was in a CWR from the bank, not a box. I have searched ~ 400 boxes or so. I found 1 69s proof and 1 76s unc silver, but I have never found a 64 proof half. If you want either one, just buy one at ebay or at a coin shop. They are commonly sold separately.

us
    Feb 2012
    31 times
    Coin roll hunting
    I keep a record of what I find. On January 22, 2012 I found a 1955 Proof Ben along with four 1970 D Kennedy's. There were an additional eight 40% Kennedy's and twelve other proofs from 1981 - 1994.
    They're out there. Just wait for some unsuspecting soul to dump a recently decease's collection.

May 2012
    33 times
    I have a 1964 Kennedy Proof.Because an old woman brought a 1964 proof set in the bank still in the manilla envelope.I gave her 15.00 for it.

us
    Seeker of enough wealth to quit my job.

Jul 2012
    Freakmont
    208 times
    Ok, are we looking for a 1970-d half or a 1970-d proof half?

us
    May 2012
    Southern United States
    718 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    2 different ones... a 1964 PROOF AND a 1970-D half dollar. There is no proof version of the 1970-D half. There are only 1970-D and 1970-S for that year.

'64 Proof - http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...vVFXPGk7lJMFiA

'70-D - http://cointrackers.com/img/coins/19...alf-dollar.png

-DS
    Last edited by boristhespider88; Jul 22, 2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added pics for clarity

May 2012
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy
    It looks like he means proof for both. Proof is now bolded in his message, don't believe it was when I replied last night. A little confusing the way it was written. If you are looking for proofs, you might as well buy them from your LCS or eBay. With the slim chance you MIGHT find some, their condition is not going to be what you are looking for from a coin collecting perspective since they will have wear from circulation.

us
    May 2012
    Southern United States
    718 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by baddbluff View Post
    I found 1 1970d, but it was in a CWR from the bank, not a box. I have searched ~ 400 boxes or so. I found 1 69s proof and 1 76s unc silver, but I have never found a 64 proof half. If you want either one, just buy one at ebay or at a coin shop. They are commonly sold separately.
    I know that they are, but my problem is simply I don't want to pay an arm and a leg; that's why I CRH... I was just wondering what my chances of finding one would be. Thank you for the input though!

Thank you to everyone so far!
    - DS

us
    May 2012
    Southern United States
    718 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
    It looks like he means proof for both. Proof is now bolded in his message, don't believe it was when I replied last night. A little confusing the way it was written. If you are looking for proofs, you might as well buy them from your LCS or eBay. With the slim chance you MIGHT find some, their condition is not going to be what you are looking for from a coin collecting perspective since they will have wear from circulation.
    Proof was bolded in the first message, because I didn't edit it after I posted it. I didn't realize that it sounded odd, but reading it, I can see where the confusion comes from. Sorry. And I'm not going to be heartbroken if the proof has a bit of wear. I'd probably upgrade when I get the money, but I don't have a ton of money right now, so I can't plop down $40+ on just the 2 halves.

us
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford, You'll be missed.

Feb 2011
    in front of you in the bank
    1315 times
    i've found a 1969-S 40% silver proof before
    boristhespider88 likes this.
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors