good day / bad day

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went for a quick ride this afternoon to get some CWR of dimes and halves. The day started out great bank 1 had 70$ in dimes and i got 5 fdr. Bank 2 had 280 in dimes so i only bought a 100$ worth and sure enough 3 more fdr. Went in to the buy the rest and also asked for halves as i had forgot to ask the first time i went in and thats when things changed. The teller was nice enough to tell me that she does but she already looked threw them and she told me she always looks threw halves. Thats fine i thanked her for being honest and bought the rest of the dimes. As i am walking out she says see look i got these about 3 weeks ago, a lady was going threw a divorce and she cashed in her husbands halves. what i saw almost made me vomit, at least 4 rolls that said franklin on the side plus i would say around 12 rolls that had writing on the side of them that i know had 1960 dates on them. As i looked at them with her sure enough solid silver. I offered her money for a roll or 2 but she wouldnt take it she said she is saving all of it. I cant type anymore im gonna go cry for a while. HH

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have an account there? Ask to speak with the manager tell him/her you need halves for your wifes (who is a teacher) classroom project ;) Tellers cant keep "their" coins in their drawer, they belong to the bank.

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say this with shame, but I had a teller fired for not selling me halves.
I contacted the head teller and told him of the situation (similar to yours). The head teller told me to come in first thing in the morning to buy the halves and when I did he told me the teller who refused to sell me the halves was let go.

If that teller had called a friend or family member to come in and buy the coins it would be a different story but to actually hoard bank property in the drawer is not the correct or ethical thing to do.

In a recent google search, the word bank teller means "an employee of a bank who deals directly with most customers. In some places this employee is known as a cashier." No where in the definition does it state "keeps the coins"

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the condition of our economy and I am not bragging about getting this teller fired from her job. I did not want that, rather all I wanted were the coins!

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have an account there? Ask to speak with the manager tell him/her you need halves for your wifes (who is a teacher) classroom project ;) Tellers cant keep "their" coins in their drawer, they belong to the bank.

i dump at this bank a lot and my plan (evil plan) is to go in there on friday because i know this particular teller has fridays off. :laughing7:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dump at this bank a lot and my plan (evil plan) is to go in there on friday because i know this particular teller has fridays off. :laughing7:

Were the rolls in her drawer? Often times the tellers can only access their own drawer.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
This scenario tends to pop up every other week. Personally I hate tellers that "save" or hide coins for themselves but unfortunately it happens.

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were the rolls in her drawer? Often times the tellers can only access their own drawer.

no they were in a small green colored safe that is directly behind all the tellers windows under the counter where the drive threw is. I have seen more than one teller go in the safe. Today when i was there and she showed them to me there was one other lady working, that went in it after her. I have a plan already. On friday my girlfriend who also has a account there is going to go in and ask for halves. My guess is they will still be there if they have been sitting for a couple weeks already. I just hope everything goes ok. I dont feel bad taking them cause the more i think about it she didnt need to show off all that silver.

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct, she did not need to show off that silver.

My suggestion, have your girlfriend go in with the cash to buy them... see if she can get them. If not, you go in next, see if you can get them... Wait 15-20 minutes, go in together see if you both can get them... I know it sounds childish but if there is that much silver there it is worth the hassle and nagging right?!?

Flat out say - I know they were in that cabinet the other day, are they still there. No harm in asking with a smile on your face :)

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Or you could stop being mad, and trying to plot how to take it from under her nose, or get her fired? Good god...it's a hobby nothing more?
Work hard at the hobby, search as many boxes as you can, and find silver.
Don't try to practically rob a teller.
She "showed off", more than likely because she just wanted to share her finds with another person who likes coins? And instead of letting you take all the bulky clad off her hands, she gives you a heads up...and...you plan on doing some thing dirty like that? Makes me sick.
That's all. HH

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meh, she showed off coins owned by the bank. She does not own them, they cant be stolen if you pay for them. If that teller really wanted to call them "hers" she would come in on a day she does not work and buy them fair and square. IMO.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I would go in both super early and super late, tomorrow & Thursday ( if extended hours on Thursday), and try to catch her before/after she comes in. You are talking $1000 - $1500 just from what you said. I would be going in a bunch and catching the vault with the teller off. If you buy em, it would be worth taking the day off tomorrow from work, etc. One day makes a big difference, she could buy em all any time. - Jonathan

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could stop being mad, and trying to plot how to take it from under her nose, or get her fired? Good god...it's a hobby nothing more?
Work hard at the hobby, search as many boxes as you can, and find silver.
Don't try to practically rob a teller.
She "showed off", more than likely because she just wanted to share her finds with another person who likes coins? And instead of letting you take all the bulky clad off her hands, she gives you a heads up...and...you plan on doing some thing dirty like that? Makes me sick.
That's all. HH

i have had some of the same thoughts when i think about it. Maybe i should maybe i shouldnt, i will say that i know they are not hers personally and the thought that keeps running threw my head is what if some else comes in and asks for halves and she is on lunch or she is not there and another teller sells the stash to another CRH. Then i missed out a big oppertunity. I know there are other CRH that hit this bank. I would never get someone fired by the way.

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, Mark, did you get those coins yet? Make sure you give me an update, bro. Good luck! _ Jonathan

i decided not to do it. I thought about it a lot and i didnt have a good feeling about it. I have learned a long time ago if something does not feel like its the right thing to do then it probably isnt. I will find plenty of silver if i keep at it. No need to ruin a good dump bank as those are just as precious as silver its self now. Plus the teller knows why i dump all the halves, and does not mind. Maybe next time.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i got a tellers stash that way!! She had 5 40%. Good Luck. Just go to the window she norm works.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
mark1982 said:
i decided not to do it. I thought about it a lot and i didnt have a good feeling about it. I have learned a long time ago if something does not feel like its the right thing to do then it probably isnt. I will find plenty of silver if i keep at it. No need to ruin a good dump bank as those are just as precious as silver its self now. Plus the teller knows why i dump all the halves, and does not mind. Maybe next time.

Good. Glad you're a bigger person than some others on here.
I can understand how it would be temping...very. Lol.
But at the end of the day, you did the right thing.
Only yesterday some little old lady was giving me my change at a big lots...and gave my $10 more than she should have...I wanted to keep it...but...I'm an adult.
(although a thank you would have been nice lol)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread