some help would be appreciated, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm starting college in september and along with college comes the bills. I have a job making a cashier making 7.60 an hour. I'm dorming so my parents are kicking me off insurance so that's going to be 400 bucks a month. They aren't willing to pay a penny for any of my bills so I'm in a bit of a hole. I really want to continue coin hunting but all the bills are going to eat into any of my bankroll.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes no sense and quite frankly it pisses me off. Here I am a hardworking kid trying to get on my feet in life and I'm being denied by people who I thought would actually care

They own the site, so they get to make the rules. Nothing unfair about that at all.

Beautiful thing about this country is that if you don't like the way one business (and yes, this site is someone's business) is treating you, you are free to go to another business or even open up your own competing business.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
namster said:
Welcome to the big bad world. I was once told by a wise person that, in order to succeed in life, you must improvise, adapt, and overcome. Dont fixate on the obstacles, always focus on the solution. Move forward.

And that's going to help me find the 8000 dollars a year I would need to just break even on expenses. Why does everyone try to screw the people who are just starting off and need most help. Even my own parents.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that's going to help me find the 8000 dollars a year I would need to just break even on expenses. Why does everyone try to screw the people who are just starting off and need most help. Even my own parents.

I dont know you or your parents so I wont comment on that issue. Re the other stuff, its just the way the world is. No one is going to hand success to you. Lets put it this way, you have a 30K scholarship? How did you get that? What about the person who did not get it, is it fair they didn't? You see where I am going..

Success, you have to work for it, and sometimes (a lot actually) this means dealing with failure or obstacles. The character of a person can be measured (in a way) by how persistent they are in their endeavors, DONT GIVE UP! A great many successful business owners have filed for bankruptcy more than once.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse me, but your complaining because your parents want keep you on their car insurance if you don't live at home while going to school and your saying they are giving you the finger and screwing you over.....What a joke..... your parents dont owe you that....Who supported you and got you to the point you could go to college?

My son worked 30 hours a week while he went to school and he paid for his own gas and car insurance.....

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
namster said:
I dont know you or your parents so I wont comment on that issue. Re the other stuff, its just the way the world is. No one is going to hand success to you. Lets put it this way, you have a 30K scholarship? How did you get that? What about the person who did not get it, is it fair they didn't? You see where I am going..

Success, you have to work for it, and sometimes (a lot actually) this means dealing with failure or obstacles. The character of a person can be measured (in a way) by how persistent they are in their endeavors, DONT GIVE UP! A great many successful business owners have filed for bankruptcy more than once.

Yes, it is fair they didn't get it because I'm sure they didn't work their ass off for four years to get a 98 gpa.

My point is I would think if anyone would be accepting to helping someone in my situation out it would be everyone here. I'm trying to not lose my bankroll. Its not even all about the money, its about not losing the hobby. My plan is to try to use a max of 1800 bankroll to search 14 boxes of halves a week, 28 boxes of dimes a week, and around 400 dollars of pennies a day. And that isn't persistant? On top of a 29 hour a week job and school. Come on. Gimme a break. Even with that I still don't know where my money is coming from

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse me, but your complaining because your parents want keep you on their car insurance if you don't live at home while going to school and your saying they are giving you the finger and screwing you over.....What a joke..... your parents dont owe you that....Who supported you and got you to the point you could go to college?

My son worked 30 hours a week while he went to school and he paid for his own gas and car insurance.....
Ahhh, kids these days.....LOL

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search and search! You are bound to find something to sell just don't forget the true reason you are there- school, education, future!

I am a teacher and graduate school student and during the school year I barely have time for 10 boxes yet alone the amount you plan to do!

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:

I'm not expecting for them to pay it for me. I'm going to pay every penny of it. Gas insurance dorming, everything. But instead of letting me stay on the insurance and paying 125 a month which I can handle they are making me pay 400 a month. It won't cost them a dime to keep me on their insurance but just because they think they can just throw me out into the world and hope I don't drown isn't what a parent is supposed to do. I'm not asking for them to pay anything for me, but it's not right that they cost me an extra 275 a month that I don't have just because I want to take a couple years to learn how to live on my own

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My plan is to try to use a max of 1800 bankroll to search 14 boxes of halves a week, 28 boxes of dimes a week, and around 400 dollars of pennies a day. On top of a 29 hour a week job and school.

Your priorities seem a bit askew here. You only get one shot at the full college experience.
You should be worrying studying and partying. Not searching coins. You can search coins whenever you want to.
But college at ages 18 - 22 only happens once.
Enjoy it. You don't get those years back, and I wouldn't trade mine for any amount of silver halves and wheat pennies.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just because they think they can just throw me out into the world and hope I don't drown isn't what a parent is supposed to do.

This dosen't jive with what you posted earlier. You left on your own accord and now live under the consequences. Cant have your cake and eat it too.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy said:
Ahhh, kids these days.....LOL

I know we make a big deal about everything. Because we have everything in the world to look foward to, right? Like all that social security we are putting into that we'll never see. All that tax money that pays for someone's next high. We get to look to that $100000 down payment on a house and record high property taxes. My parents bought their house in 1990 for 129k. Probably put 25 or so down. If things were like that I would have a down payment in a couple years. But because everything is screwed up we get to pay for all of that. I work my ass off. I work two jobs, plus coin hunt. I work 50 hours a week and commute 13 hours a week. And you think that I'm making a big deal about all of this for nothing

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry honey but you just said you wanted to learn to live on your own & that means paying all your own bills. It sucks when parents don't want to or can't help you out but in the end you will be grateful you weren't handed everything in life & you will be able to say that you didn't need anyone's help to succeed. My husband & I didn't have a penny to work with when we were first dating & engaged & we did everything on his own because his family basically kicked him to the curb & busted his butt (as well as I) for everything that we have & not one thing in our lives was handed to us. It makes you appreciate everything you have 1000 times more because it came from your own hard work.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid Rolls said:
Your priorities seem a bit askew here. You only get one shot at the full college experience.
You should be worrying studying and partying. Not searching coins. You can search coins whenever you want to.
But college at ages 18 - 22 only happens once.
Enjoy it. You don't get those years back, and I wouldn't trade mine for any amount of silver halves and wheat pennies.

Well how can I pay for it making 7.60 an hour and getting a 10 cent raise every 6 months? My coin hunting is to give me any sort of chance at being able to afford college, so I can have that college experience, and education

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think everyone of us in college lived the ramen noodle and cheap beer diet for a while.
Enjoy it! You only go to college once!
Get a job making a little more! Use your scholarship! Buy used books! Sell your childhood stuff on eBay or flea markets for quick money.
Make it work!

Last edited:

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well how can I pay for it making 7.60 an hour and getting a 10 cent raise every 6 months? My coin hunting is to give me any sort of chance at being able to afford college, so I can have that college experience, and education

Find a better paying job or get a job on campus.
You got a 30K scholarship.
Apply for grants or loans. That's what I did, and I worked 35-40 hours a week as well.
Still has plenty of time to let loose and party.
This is college after all.

Plus if you live in the dorms, where do you plan on keeping your coins?
People living in dorms tend to have sticky fingers.
A bankroll can disappear very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread