some help would be appreciated, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm starting college in september and along with college comes the bills. I have a job making a cashier making 7.60 an hour. I'm dorming so my parents are kicking me off insurance so that's going to be 400 bucks a month. They aren't willing to pay a penny for any of my bills so I'm in a bit of a hole. I really want to continue coin hunting but all the bills are going to eat into any of my bankroll.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid Rolls said:
Find a better paying job or get a job on campus.
You got a 30K scholarship.
Apply for grants or loans. That's what I did, and I worked 35-40 hours a week as well.
Still has plenty of time to let loose and party.
This is college after all.

Plus if you live in the dorms, where do you plan on keeping your coins?
People living in dorms tend to have sticky fingers.
A bankroll can disappear very quickly.

I'm not moving out of my house. I'm doing coin stuff at home.

Ok this is a 20 year loan from chase:
45k borrowed is about 360 a month.

Then I have 400 a month insurance.

150 a month gas. Then living expenses and fun money. That's at a minimum 910 a month in expenses. I make 217.50 a week before tax. That times 4 is right around 880, before tax. When income is less than expenses you run into a problem quickly

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid Rolls brought up a great point- be careful with that much coinage yet alone silver in the dorms. No safe is safe.

Even if you live alone, people watch!
Colleges are known for theft and even if they don't know the true value of the silver that .50 cents can buy them a cigarette or anything else.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Colleges are known for theft and even if they don't know the true value of the silver that .50 cents can buy them a cigarette or anything else.

Better yet....let them use those silver halves you've been saving from CRH to buy cigarettes & beer so I can find it in my boxes :P

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrs.CRH said:
Better yet....let them use those silver halves you've been saving from CRH to buy cigarettes & beer so I can find it in my boxes :P

I know that was a joke but no one is getting my silver. I'm not telling anyone about my coins and they are staying locked in my safe at home where no one can get to them

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, wouldn't you have to sell them to generate money?

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRHQueen said:
Wait, wouldn't you have to sell them to generate money?

Yes, but I would keep them in my posession as long as I can. Its not really now that I'm worried about, its next year and after that once my savings runs out

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not moving out of my house. I'm doing coin stuff at home.

I'm beyond confused here. You said you are going to live in the dorms and that is why they won't cover your expenses? Yeah totally confused here.

[shows front and back of hands] I'm out, someone else can have fun with this tonight.

Good Luck jnb!!

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid Rolls said:
I'm beyond confused here. You said you are going to live in the dorms and that is why they won't cover your expenses? Yeah totally confused here.

[shows front and back of hands] I'm out, someone else can have fun with this tonight.

Good Luck jnb!!

They never were gonna cover my expenses. But because I'm dorming they won't let me on their insurance. They are basically nickel and diming me. I'd end up paying way more than half of my support yet they aren't even comfortable letting me claim myself on my taxes so that I'll pay 500 dollars less on taxes. They just are basically trying to get me however they can

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus DMCII-Ba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sell your car. get a scooter. problem solved?

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ihatedirtbikes said:
sell your car. get a scooter. problem solved?

No, i'd have to commute 15 miles. Scooter isn't going to cut it

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL!!!...LOL!!!...LOL!!!

Why are they kicking you off their insurance? I thought dependents were covered until age 21 for health and car insurance, as long as they were a full-time student?

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, i'd have to commute 15 miles. Scooter isn't going to cut it

Seriously? 15 miles? Son, I commuted almost that on a Honda Elite 80, in Los Angeles traffic, while working on my DOCTORATE. You need to take a long hard look at yourself, I think.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
namster said:
Seriously? 15 miles? Son, I commuted almost that in Los Angeles traffic while working on my DOCTORATE. You need to take a long hard look at yourself, I think.

I commute that in long island traffic on a one lane road that is 40 mph speed limit, but often a lot slower than that because of college traffic. It takes me an hour to commute that 15 miles on a normal basis

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, my education would be more important to me than my coin roll hunting...You can always do it again After you graduate, or when you have more money...When your habbits/hobbies outweight your checkbook, it is time to give up your habbits/hobbies, or find a way to increase your checkbook...

HH,

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the thing is that this isn't only a hobby, its a source of income. Cut out coin hunting and that kinda throws me deeper in the hole

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not expecting for them to pay it for me. I'm going to pay every penny of it. Gas insurance dorming, everything. But instead of letting me stay on the insurance and paying 125 a month which I can handle they are making me pay 400 a month. It won't cost them a dime to keep me on their insurance but just because they think they can just throw me out into the world and hope I don't drown isn't what a parent is supposed to do. I'm not asking for them to pay anything for me, but it's not right that they cost me an extra 275 a month that I don't have just because I want to take a couple years to learn how to live on my own
You haven't matured yet, plain and simple. My parents did the same thing to me. It seems mean for no reason like you said its not costing them a penny......let me clue you into what you will eventually understand and actually come to appreciate. .. Now really listen ok.....THEY ARE TRYING TO TEACH YOU SOMETHING, just suck it up. That extra insurance money it seems like your wasting will actually be one of the best bargains you ever receive in life. Life and financial skills don't come cheap. A couple hundred or a couple thousand today could save or gain you hundreds of thousands later in life hopefully even more! Sometimes it's just impossible to understand. there will never be a time in your life as long as you live where you think you know as much about life As you do right now. The irony is you will NEVER be more stupid in your entire life than you are right now. Happens to everyone. You will look back at your attitude in 20 years and say out loud to everyone I was a wet behind the ears dumb ass......and you will laugh about as you look in your bank account and see a bunch of dough. Hopefully.....either that or you never learn and you end up in the bottom of the society drain...one of those two...

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scooters will typically get 50+MPG. i think up to a certain cc engine you dont even need a drivers liscense, let alone insurance. when it comes down to it people always end up doing what they have to do. you may not like most of the options that people in this thread have given you, but what other alternatives do you have? get a better job maybe. you should find a job as a server at a decent resturaunt. you get paid everyday you work, and some nights you make a lot of money in a short amount of time. 7.60 an hour would suck full time, and i would hate to get paid that part time.

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will look back at your attitude in 20 years and say out loud to everyone I was a wet behind the ears dumb ass......and you will laugh about as you look in your bank account and see a bunch of dough. Hopefully.....either that or you never learn and you end up in the bottom of the society drain...one of those two...

this made me chuckle

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know we make a big deal about everything. Because we have everything in the world to look foward to, right? Like all that social security we are putting into that we'll never see. All that tax money that pays for someone's next high. We get to look to that $100000 down payment on a house and record high property taxes. My parents bought their house in 1990 for 129k. Probably put 25 or so down. If things were like that I would have a down payment in a couple years. But because everything is screwed up we get to pay for all of that. I work my ass off. I work two jobs, plus coin hunt. I work 50 hours a week and commute 13 hours a week. And you think that I'm making a big deal about all of this for nothing
if you had good credit you could still buy a house with 25 k down actually you could get a 250k house up to actually say 700k with a first time home buyer loan. Just chill you need to learn........

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen I know everyone is trying to help their own way but I know a thing or two about finances. My dad is an accountant and business manager and I've worked for him as long as I can remember. And now I prepare tax returns for his clients with literally millions of dollars of stock transactions and corporate returns including doing all the books. That's why I'm so concerned about this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions