Wheat Penny gave in change from coin shop

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Stopped by my local coin shop to pickup some 2x2s and a hard plastic holder for a 1955 D wheat cent I bought. I also picked up the hard plastic holder for my 1899 O Barber Quarter. Long story short all of it came to like $5.13, I handed her a $10, and she gave me the change. Later inspection yielded a 1958 D Wheatie. Strange coming from a coin shop.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weird is right! i get BU nickels from the 60's and 70's all the time from my coin shop, last time i got a dirty 1949 nickel, makes you wonder, they might buy them at face value specifically to give out as change to encourage to buy more... you never know. good deal for 1 cent!
hh
buff

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local coin shop always gives common wheat, dateless buffalos, 1976 quarters, NIFC halfs, and 2 dollar bills in change.

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine has handed me some $2 bills, and 1976 Quarters. I never deal with $2 bills so the first time they were bringing me back my change and I saw the back I thought it was like a really old dollar bill but ended up being a plain 1976

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Not all that strange, a lot of coin dealers buy large collections which might have a handful of pieces that are worth the purchase price and a bunch of stuff only worth face value. Others buy weird denominations (halves, $2 bills, common wheats) and give them out in change to appeal to collectors.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a teller tried to sell me $460 in $2 bills, i politely denied them, i don't like them. they're "annoying" to me, most cashiers and tellers around here don't like them.
Mine has handed me some $2 bills, and 1976 Quarters. I never deal with $2 bills so the first time they were bringing me back my change and I saw the back I thought it was like a really old dollar bill but ended up being a plain 1976

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had similar experiences w/ dealers giving collectible coins in change. My best transaction involved 91 cents: I got a 1921D Walker, a 1901s quarter, a '16 D Merc, a 3-legged '37 d buffalo nick, and a 1922 cent. I could hardly believe it! The I looked in the case & all he had for sale were common modern coins. Weird.

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What? Not calling you a liar but I really highly doubt that. I mean getting just general coins from a coins shop is good, but getting mutiple key dates in one transaction at Face Value. Come on:icon_scratch:

I have had similar experiences w/ dealers giving collectible coins in change. My best transaction involved 91 cents: I got a 1921D Walker, a 1901s quarter, a '16 D Merc, a 3-legged '37 d buffalo nick, and a 1922 cent. I could hardly believe it! The I looked in the case & all he had for sale were common modern coins. Weird.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
What? Not calling you a liar but I really highly doubt that. I mean getting just general coins from a coins shop is good, but getting mutiple key dates in one transaction at Face Value. Come on

Don't you get the sarcasm?:dontknow:

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? Not calling you a liar but I really highly doubt that. I mean getting just general coins from a coins shop is good, but getting mutiple key dates in one transaction at Face Value. Come on:icon_scratch:

don't feel bad when i first read it i thought he was talking about a dream he had.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a teller tried to sell me $460 in $2 bills, i politely denied them, i don't like them. they're "annoying" to me, most cashiers and tellers around here don't like them.

i love $2 dollar bills and in about a month i am buying $400.00 dollars worth of them from somebody on the internet. all he wants is face value plus insurence and i asked for signature confirmation so total will be $411.30. the way i see it if the goverment still prints them i will spend them and if cashiers don't like them i will take my bussiness elsewhere where my money is welcome. and since the economy is still tough they can not afford to lose to many costumers.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Why buy them when you can get them at the bank without insurance & shipping?

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why buy them when you can get them at the bank without insurance & shipping?

because most banks up here dont have any and will not order any and because when they do have them they are all consecutive and *i can not spend consecutive bills for some reason*

*i think my ocd has something to do with it.

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mrs.CRH said:
oh boy.....

You could always shuffle them up...BAM...consecutive problem solved!

banks may not always have consecutive notes anyways. Doesn't hurt to try! Good luck!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
At my LCS, when he rings you up, he ALWAYS checks the change before he passes it on. The best I have gotten from him was 1979 SBAs and some BU state quarters for my quarter book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread