Mexican Peso

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Has anyone ever CRH any other currency? I was at a BOA last week and the guy next to me asked the girl for 400 dollars worth of Mexican Pesos. I could tell he had gotten them there before by how quickly the conversation went, as if he got them on a regular basis, and he didn't look like he was going on vacation. I know a few of them have some silver in them and I was just wondering if they would be all different years or mostly newer coins from the bank and if anyone here had ever tried hunting different countries currencies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have witnessed others doing the same at the bank, I stick to US Coin or Canada Coin when north of the border.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure. There are quite a few Mexican coins with silver in them, but the only ones that I believe circulate easily would be the 10 peso coins which are bimetallic (I think the 20 and 50 Peso coins also have/had silver in them). Most of the older coins are no longer legal tender due to the peso's tendency to hyperinflate every few years.

I think at least for the 10 peso coins, you need to look for the ones that say N$, the ones that just say $ I believe do not have the silver center but have a copper nickel center.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
The 10 peso coin 1992-95, the 20 peso coin 1993-95 and the 50 peso coin 1993-95 were minted for circulation with 92.5% silver centers and brass outer rings.

I do not know of any CRHer actively searching for them.

In what form was the 400 pesos? bills? coins? what denomination of coins?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good thought !!
Mexican silver coins started at about 90% silver and through the years the silver content drifted down to 10%-then zero. Yet Mexican proof 25 peso silver coins were still being made through at least 1992 with a fineness of .925. You might just get lucky ordering a roll of 25 peso coins. Let us know if you try? Suggestion: Order a roll and see what you get. For example, the Olympics coin of 1968 and the Benito Juarez coin of 1972 both contain .72 fine silver and .5209 oz. ASW.
Don.....

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weird. I know you can CRH in America(duh), and Canada, and I have even heard of CRH;ing in Sweden, but not mexico, all their goins are new as previously stated.
hh
buff

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thought !!
Mexican silver coins started at about 90% silver and through the years the silver content drifted down to 10%-then zero. Yet Mexican proof 25 peso silver coins were still being made through at least 1992 with a fineness of .925. You might just get lucky ordering a roll of 25 peso coins. Let us know if you try? Suggestion: Order a roll and see what you get. For example, the Olympics coin of 1968 and the Benito Juarez coin of 1972 both contain .72 fine silver and .5209 oz. ASW.
Don.....

In 1992, Mexico demonetized their old coins, took 3 zeros of their currency, and introduced new coins, which have been described by MIhunter.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be a dumb question, but why would a BoA have a supply of Mexican Pesos?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember, currency exchanges usually charge a certain percentage, plus, how would you return your rejects? you would probrably have a lot of trouble to go through and likely will have to pay a fee to return the coins.
Kinda interesting. I might try if my bank will order them !

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
melt them

Aaronscicli

Greenie
Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah thats true. If i found anything, it would probably just go to the cost of ordering and duping :/

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I asked the teller who was handling my dumps, the guy was next to me, and she said that they could get the pesos and that the money had to be on deposit for 2 days. I don't know anything about Mexican coins and just assumed that a peso was a coin and did not know there were different denominations of pesos. I heard him ask for 400 worth of pesos and the Teller was like sure no problem, like I said like they had done it before. I am sure there would be an exchange rate and cost. I don't think they had the coins there but were able to order them for him.
Thanks for the replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread