Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jun 2012
    8 times

Need some help....

Went to the bank yesterday to deposit some money and the teller asked me if I wanted any ikes. I hardly ever find them around here so I bought them all, 67 of them! I looked through them and found no silver but I did find a 1973s very crisp edge but definitely clad. I researched it for a few minutes and found an article about 2 other 1973s ikes found that were supposed to have been silver but instead struck on the circulation planchet. I'm new to all this so some clarification would be appreciated. Do I have something here?? Thanks!

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2012
    186 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Check the rim and overall tone of the coin. If the coin has a white, lightesh hue and a white rim, it is silver. If it has a dark gray, nickel colered hue, along with a copper and nickel colored rim, then it is clad. Put a clad quarter next to it, if they both have the same hue then it is clad. You can also drop the suspected silver coin and a clad eisenhower on a hard, flat surface. Both will make a clearly different "ping" when dropped.
    Last edited by crhstreetwalker; Aug 01, 2012 at 03:56 AM.

Jun 2012
    8 times
    It's definitely clad. No silver. I was killing time at work and decided to look to see how many were minted but everything that comes up says that the1973s are 40% silver. I didn't know if there was silver version and a clad version made or if this was an error?

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2012
    186 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi9 View Post
    I didn't know if there was silver version and a clad version made or if this was an error?
    There were both 40% silver and clad eisenhower dollars struck at the San Francisco mint, it is just a clad proof. Still cool to have, you can definitely sell it for more than $1.

From pcgscoinfacts.com:
    Jaime Hernandez: The Mint only produced Proof nickel clad Eisenhower Dollars for two years, which had a Type 1 reverse design. That was in 1973 and 1974. The 1973-S Proof nickel clad Eisenhower Dollar has the highest mintage of these two dates.

Jun 2012
    8 times
    Cool! Thanks for clearing that up for me! Good luck this month!

Jun 2012
    8 times
    So how much are the worth? I also had a bicentennial clad proof in the bunch. It's a little more worn though.

Sponsors