Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
what up dawg. If it's a proof it will have an s mintmark yo. it will also look like a mirror. hope dat helps brudda

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
At least with halves, I find the proof coins seem to have a slightly wider and shinier rim. I probably don't get them all, but I have pulled a good number of proofs while edge searching for silver.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some will disagree...but circulated clad proofs are worth face value.

If you insist on finding them all, date/mint checking is the way to go. The proofs will, in general, have thicker rims if you are edge checking. HH!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
proofs like previously said have a mirrored field and have the "S" mint mark, but don't be fooled, the mint did put circulation strike coins from san francisco mint(s mintmark) 1974 and prior, that is when you can only really rely on the mirrored field. hope this heps,
hh
buff.

also, common proofs(1975-2012) all have the S MINTMARK, if you think it is proof and has the P or D mintmark, it's likely polished and not a proof.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Earlier proofs (earlier than '68) are from the Philly mint, so the mirrored finish is how you can tell. Later proofs are from San Francisco with an "S" mintmark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread