Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
2 rolls of Walkers found back in 2008 - remembering

I just recently found Treasure Net and wanted to share a find I made.

I have been searching rolls of halves for some time :BangHead: What I was doing was after searching the rolls I would dumpt them at a local Bank of America, deposited to my account. Until just recently I had found about 4 rolls of 40% halves over the course of several years and 4 90% halves.
I hadn't done any searching for a while and decided to try again, but this time I went to the bank where I had been dumping my searched rolls. I asked them if they had any rolls of halves and they said they had 30 rolls :notworthy:
I bought all 30 rolls, when I took them home I realized that almost all of them were the rolls I had been dumping :tongue3:

I started going through them anyway, after 4 rolls I opened the end of one and saw a WALKER I dumped the roll on the table and it was an ENTIRE ROLL of WALKERS, from the 1940's :hello2: I let out a yell and then simply opened the end of each roll looking for more.
After about another 10 rolls there it was a second roll of Walkers! :award_star_gold_1::award_star_gold_1:

40 Walker halves from the 40's I still can't believe it! I took pictures of them but can't find it on my PC, I am still looking for the picture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet find and welcome to treasurenet! i have yet to find a solid roll and have been at this for 3 years now!
hh
buff

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome score Ben. Two solid rolls of walkers, that's huge. I'm still looking for my first. Ya get the pics up. And like BB just said welcome to tnet. HH

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I still haven't found the picture taken at the time, but I put them in coin tubes and can get another this weekend. So far I have never sold any silver I have found.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I pulled my 2 rolls of Walkers out of the safe and too a couple pictures of them. I have never sold any of my finds. I wish I had saved the paper rolls they were in.

Walkers 2 rolls resize2.jpg

Walkers 2 rolls 1.jpg

Walkers2rollsresize2.jpg

Attachments

• Walkers 2 rolls 2.jpg
    Walkers 2 rolls 2.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it was 2008, I had searched rolls of halves for about a year and dumping them at the same bank. In another posting I had mentioned that it was 2008, looking at my post I now realize that I left that part out of this post, very sorry!
It was so exciting that it seems like it was yesterday, also as I get older time seems to compact, in fact I can't believe it wasn't earlier this year. Back when I found them they were worth about $100 for the roll, I don't know what they are selling rolls for now.
Other than these two rolls I had found a total of 4 90% silver halves in a bit over a year of searching.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Congratulations on your find, but knowing that it was 4 years ago changes matters. 4 years ago, I was pulling on average $60 fv of silver out of 6k. A bad week was only pulling $20 fv. Still sweet cull of silver, it just doesn't belong in the Summer of Solid Rolls. But it isn't too late. Get out and pound the pavement and search out the silver. It is out there.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
My first day back after a 4 year absence, searched 3 rolls of halves and got 20 single coins to find 1 40% in the singles, skunked on the rolls.
Then last night I went by two credit unions and got 6 rolls of quarters - skunked and 14 rolls of dimes (7 or 8 of them Loomis) found a 1964 dime in one of the CWR's
I guess I am catching the fever, but as you say 4 years is a long time and the silver is drying up. When the ground gets a bit moister, not as dry, I may break out my Garret and White's metal detectors and hit some town common's. A friend said behind his house is an old Revolutionary War road and he found an 8 inch spike one time. I like Silver and Gold, iron spikes don't do anything for me, but I will check it out anyway.

What are people finding for averages with rolled stuff, I thought I heard somewhere that it seems to be about 1 dime for every $120 searched?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incrediburgable. If I found one Walker, not to mention two rolls, I wouldn't sleep for a week.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are people finding for averages with rolled stuff, I thought I heard somewhere that it seems to be about 1 dime for every $120 searched?

We (my kids and I) have been finding a 1 dime per about every $150 worth of CWR but that has dropped to closer to 1 per $200 to $250 lately. I am hoping that it picks backup in the coming weeks it is not always that easy to regularly find $250 to $300 worth of CWR without stopping by a lot of banks branchs

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
kfs
That doesn't sound promising. I agree it is hard to set alot of CWR's without stopping by alot of banks.

I would think things would pick up in the fall towards the holidays or after the first of the year when people have to pay for things, I hope.

I wonder what the averages are for BWR's? It appears that all the banks around the eastern Mass area are using Loomis. I will talk to my local BoA and see if they will order a box of halves and a box of dimes for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread