Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone think 09 Lincoln cets will be a collectable one day?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    mx
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    none
    Sheepdog,

People already believe that they are collectable because of their scarcity.....but then so were beenie babies and pet rocks.

It all depends upon what you want your return on investment to be. I tend to look at % when I day trade. Now with that being said....Can you sell a 2009 penny for 2 cents? That's a 100% return on your investment.....I'll take that return every day! The next question becomes...how many of these pennies can you obtain, sell at this % profit and how quickly?

Remember on Ebay you'll be advertising to a world market where collectors cannot get these pennies. There's probably room for a nice profit.

Will they become a key date? Only time will tell for sure; but by the number minted it's not appearing likely.
    2009 nickles and dimes....yes, because mint production was stopped in April with only about 80 million nickles produced.

Cheers

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    264 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities
    High grade examples of zinc pennies will be collectible one day due to their scarcity. Cents with no carbon spots graded MS 68-70 by PCGS/NGC will most likely appreciate with time especially the MS-70 cents. But the problem is, very few cents will grade it, if they've been through a rolling machine, they're no good. The last coinage series the US had that disintegrated with the passing of time, the zinc coated steel cent of 1943 was widely hoarded, therefore they are easily found in MS, but fewer zinc pennies will survive.

They won't ever be rare, but I can see the high grade ones having significant premiums 30 years down the line.
    Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

us
    Sep 2011
    N.J
    80 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I just pulled out my redbook and the 09 cents EACH have mintages of less then 400 million that VERY low for a penny mintage considering in 08 they made over 5 billion pennys.

us
    Aug 2008
    Ace 350
    120 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    In 2009 there was a time when if you were lucky and a pallet of them made their way to your area you could have made a killing. I was lucky and had a month of full sealed boxes go through town. I sold a ton on ebay. At that point they were bringing about $200 a box - they are still bring some pretty good returns. I kept some rolls just in case and that is the point a lot of people tucked away rolls of these. The coins pulled from CRH out of rolls are likely never gonna be worth more much. You might want to pick up the mint set that came with actual copper cents.

Maine_jim
    CoinFetcher likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    745 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MIhunter View Post

The last coin minted for circulation but worth a lot more than face value (not counting silver bullion or error coins) was the 1950D nickel. That was 60+ years ago!
    MIHunter, you are usually a knowledgeable poster here, but I've corrected you in the past when you made this blanket statement. It is flat out wrong. The best example is the 1983 P/D quarter. For a more current example, look at the ATB series. The first business strike San Fran minted quarters since the silver issues are being minted. El Yunque and Chaco Canyon have been released. They are expected to be the new key date for the entire quarter series. 600k for El Yunque and 500k for Chaco, so far.

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    632 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    I don't think the zinc ones will be collectable. I keep them only because I trade with people overseas who tend to like them.
    1/100 of an American dollar is a cent. It is NOT a penny. The word penny is used by several other countries, such as Great Britain, to denote their smallest denomination. In order to be numismatically correct, you must use the term cent to describe the American coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Burke
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

us
    Renewing America's Economy...One Zincoln at a Time!

Jun 2011
    Syracuse, NY
    Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
    128 times
    Metal Detecting
    These zincs will not be around in 200 years...they corrode!

HH,
    Check out my Blogs:

http://gogogopherdetecting.blogspot.com/

http://musicopia4u.blogspot.com/

Minelab E-TRAC w/ stock Pro coil, NEL Tornado, 6" EQ2
    Pro Pointer and LESCHE, Sampson Ball Handle spade
    Hunting Since 2005

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    745 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down View Post
    MIHunter, you are usually a knowledgeable poster here, but I've corrected you in the past when you made this blanket statement. It is flat out wrong. The best example is the 1983 P/D quarter. For a more current example, look at the ATB series. The first business strike San Fran minted quarters since the silver issues are being minted. El Yunque and Chaco Canyon have been released. They are expected to be the new key date for the entire quarter series. 600k for El Yunque and 500k for Chaco, so far.
    An example of the 83 quarter. ORIGINAL BANK WRAP!!! GEM UNCIRCULATED 1983 P WASHINGTON QUARTER ROLL!!! | eBay Still a 23 hours to bid so the serious bidding hasn't begun.
    maine_Jim likes this.

us
    Jun 2011
    Southeastern MI
    219 times
    An example of the 83 quarter. ORIGINAL BANK WRAP!!! GEM UNCIRCULATED 1983 P WASHINGTON QUARTER ROLL!!! | eBay Still a 23 hours to bid so the serious bidding hasn't begun.
    I stand corrected

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    745 times

Sold for $611.88. About $15.50 a coin. Of course, the enders will be tossed so there really is only 38 coins that will be considered to be graded. If the buyer scores a few ms-65+ coins, it will easily pay for the risk.

us
    Eminem AKA Marshall Mathers AKA Slim Shady AKA B-Rabbit AKA Rap God AKA the G.O.A.T

Jul 2012
    Motor City
    Not sure
    522 times
    I enjoy rollin', throwin' rolls, Rappin', chatin' with Fiddy Cent
    Naw dawg unless you a clad lova
    Easy likes this.

us
    Seeker of enough wealth to quit my job.

Jul 2012
    Freakmont
    208 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminem View Post
    Naw dawg unless you a clad lova
    Now that made me laugh!

us
    Jul 2012
    Orlando, FL
    My hands, ears, & eyes =D
    160 times
    CRH
    What is so special about the 1983 P quarter?

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    745 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.CRH View Post
    What is so special about the 1983 P quarter?
    In 83, there were no mint sets issued. Collectors who want a high grade coin for a collection can always draw upon the inventory of mint sets on the secondary market. In 83, there was none. By the time word had gotten out to the numismatic community, the entire mintage had been released to circulation.

Leading up to the 80's, it was popular to collect rolls of coins. Many of these rolls never earned a premium for the speculators. By the 80's, roll collecting grew out of favor.

In '82, the mint began issuing commemoratives with precious metal for the first time in 20 years. Collectors decided to put their money into the commemoratives instead of rolls of clad. Today, the commemoratives sell for melt while rolls of clad sell for quite a bit more. The clad has outperformed the precious metal. Imagine having the foresight to have set aside a few rolls at FV?

Aug 2012
    49 times
    Sold for $611.88. About $15.50 a coin. Of course, the enders will be tossed so there really is only 38 coins that will be considered to be graded. If the buyer scores a few ms-65+ coins, it will easily pay for the risk.
    Are circulated 1983 P's worth anything you think?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors