Anyone think 09 Lincoln cets will be a collectable one day?

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These zincs will not be around in 200 years...they corrode!

HH,

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
MIHunter, you are usually a knowledgeable poster here, but I've corrected you in the past when you made this blanket statement. It is flat out wrong. The best example is the 1983 P/D quarter. For a more current example, look at the ATB series. The first business strike San Fran minted quarters since the silver issues are being minted. El Yunque and Chaco Canyon have been released. They are expected to be the new key date for the entire quarter series. 600k for El Yunque and 500k for Chaco, so far.

An example of the 83 quarter. ORIGINAL BANK WRAP!!! GEM UNCIRCULATED 1983 P WASHINGTON QUARTER ROLL!!! | eBay Still a 23 hours to bid so the serious bidding hasn't begun.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
What is so special about the 1983 P quarter?

In 83, there were no mint sets issued. Collectors who want a high grade coin for a collection can always draw upon the inventory of mint sets on the secondary market. In 83, there was none. By the time word had gotten out to the numismatic community, the entire mintage had been released to circulation.

Leading up to the 80's, it was popular to collect rolls of coins. Many of these rolls never earned a premium for the speculators. By the 80's, roll collecting grew out of favor.

In '82, the mint began issuing commemoratives with precious metal for the first time in 20 years. Collectors decided to put their money into the commemoratives instead of rolls of clad. Today, the commemoratives sell for melt while rolls of clad sell for quite a bit more. The clad has outperformed the precious metal. Imagine having the foresight to have set aside a few rolls at FV?

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold for $611.88. About $15.50 a coin. Of course, the enders will be tossed so there really is only 38 coins that will be considered to be graded. If the buyer scores a few ms-65+ coins, it will easily pay for the risk.

Are circulated 1983 P's worth anything you think?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Are circulated 1983 P's worth anything you think?

Nope. The 1982 and 1983 coins aren't key dates by any means, they are just condition rarities, a bit more similar to the Barber series (where common dates worth several hundred in gem uncirculated condition while the same dates in G-4 condition are sold for silver scrap).

I think condition rarities will be the main draw to future collectors interested in completing a date run of modern coins, especially if the trend towards third party grading services continue. I don't think we will really be able to cash into it by CRHing unless we save a few rolls of the solid boxes and send them all in and hope for a MS-69 or 70 grade by PCGS or NGC. Aside from patterns and the odd unobtainable coin (the Sacajawea dollars struck in 22 carat gold for example) I don't think we will ever see a US coin have a mintage that will be highly desirable by collectors by date alone ever again unless there comes a time where the dollar suffers from hyperinflation and a date is mostly melted down to be reused in coins of higher value. The days of the 1914-D cent and 1916-D dime are long gone.

With pennies in particular, I think that the absolute top grade pieces will appreciate with time. You only need to crack open a few rolls to see that zinc pennies corrode quite quickly with any sort of circulation at all and quickly get carbon spots because zinc is a terrible coinage metal. Of course, this is also true to a lesser extent with the "golden dollars" but since so few end up circulating and they are widely hoarded, I don't think they will ever become rare, even in top grade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread