Anyone think 09 Lincoln cets will be a collectable one day?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
They are worth checking for known varieties. Also, be sure to check the weight. The Mint produced cents on the original composition planchets as the 1909 cent. They will be 95% copper. They were released in mint sets (Philly/Denver), and proof sets (San Fran).

clarknau

Jul 25, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a tough one. I am having a hard time even gathering a full set of 2009 pennies. However, I see many more 2009 pennies than I do any other denomination. I would bet 2009 nickels, dimes, and quarters will be more collectable.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Just like the state quarters. They were made to be collected. There a dime a dozen. More than likely no.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While a ton of these are being put back, I believe at some point many of these saved coins will reenter circulation. As these coins are so poorly made, nice examples of these coins will be limited in a hundred years. At least one of the four coins will command a small premium at that time.

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The 09 cents wont be collectable, but you could buy large quantities to help get the cheapo zinc cents out of circulation.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the zinc cents. They are so fake and embarrasing for US Coinage

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no no no no no no no... There are literally millions out there, it'll be like the bicentennial halves, quarters, and even large dollars, there are a ton of them out there and are not collectible.
hh
buff

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think like 09 nickels people pay a premium for them, in 09 coin production numbers were down accross the board, they made I think 800 million ish unusually low when pennies are minted in the billions

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waste of time and money, you should just turn in the 2009 pennies and collect coppers instead.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Waste of time and money, you should just turn in the 2009 pennies and collect coppers instead.

Rule of coin collecting

If you buy a box of ______ (pennies, nickels, dimes, etc) and you will likely find at least one example of ______, it is not collectable and probably won't be in your lifetime.

Bullion is a seperate issue.

The last coin minted for circulation but worth a lot more than face value (not counting silver bullion or error coins) was the 1950D nickel. That was 60+ years ago!

So..... If you want to CRH and find recently minted coins that are collectable, then error coins are the way.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rule of coin collecting

If you buy a box of ______ (pennies, nickels, dimes, etc) and you will likely find at least one example of ______, it is not collectable and probably won't be in your lifetime.

Bullion is a seperate issue.

The last coin minted for circulation but worth a lot more than face value (not counting silver bullion or error coins) was the 1950D nickel. That was 60+ years ago!

So..... If you want to CRH and find recently minted coins that are collectable, then error coins are the way.

What about the 1970 s small date penny?

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys all hunt for copper and silver, clad is useless!!! Your a bunch of clad lovers!

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Sheepdog,

People already believe that they are collectable because of their scarcity.....but then so were beenie babies and pet rocks.

It all depends upon what you want your return on investment to be. I tend to look at % when I day trade. Now with that being said....Can you sell a 2009 penny for 2 cents? That's a 100% return on your investment.....I'll take that return every day! The next question becomes...how many of these pennies can you obtain, sell at this % profit and how quickly?

Remember on Ebay you'll be advertising to a world market where collectors cannot get these pennies. There's probably room for a nice profit.

Will they become a key date? Only time will tell for sure; but by the number minted it's not appearing likely.
2009 nickles and dimes....yes, because mint production was stopped in April with only about 80 million nickles produced.

Cheers
:occasion14:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
High grade examples of zinc pennies will be collectible one day due to their scarcity. Cents with no carbon spots graded MS 68-70 by PCGS/NGC will most likely appreciate with time especially the MS-70 cents. But the problem is, very few cents will grade it, if they've been through a rolling machine, they're no good. The last coinage series the US had that disintegrated with the passing of time, the zinc coated steel cent of 1943 was widely hoarded, therefore they are easily found in MS, but fewer zinc pennies will survive.

They won't ever be rare, but I can see the high grade ones having significant premiums 30 years down the line.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just pulled out my redbook and the 09 cents EACH have mintages of less then 400 million that VERY low for a penny mintage considering in 08 they made over 5 billion pennys.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
In 2009 there was a time when if you were lucky and a pallet of them made their way to your area you could have made a killing. I was lucky and had a month of full sealed boxes go through town. I sold a ton on ebay. At that point they were bringing about $200 a box - they are still bring some pretty good returns. I kept some rolls just in case and that is the point a lot of people tucked away rolls of these. The coins pulled from CRH out of rolls are likely never gonna be worth more much. You might want to pick up the mint set that came with actual copper cents.

Maine_jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

MIHunter, you are usually a knowledgeable poster here, but I've corrected you in the past when you made this blanket statement. It is flat out wrong. The best example is the 1983 P/D quarter. For a more current example, look at the ATB series. The first business strike San Fran minted quarters since the silver issues are being minted. El Yunque and Chaco Canyon have been released. They are expected to be the new key date for the entire quarter series. 600k for El Yunque and 500k for Chaco, so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread