Hopefully not stupid question #357

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious, when you guys hunt coin rolls, do you just scan over quickly to find the out-of-place coins (silver, gold, obviously old) or do you look over each coin carefully for 19XX d/s/p (whatever is rare), mistrikes or other errors?

I think if I coin roll hunted, my OCD would kick in and I'd never get anything done cause I'd be looking for hours to find errors : )

Upvote 0

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally hunt cents and nickels so I do look at everyone. When I get a roll of halves I scan the edges first and then check dates as a need a few to complete a Kennedy half circulated set.

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. I went threw a box of pennies last night. I care nothing for errors, key dates, etc. I sort wheats, pre 82s, 82 (for checking weight), and post 82s. foriegn coin I stack for checking and either keep or reenter. Maybe I'll recheck dates on pre82s when bored but probably not. I'll be saving them and when my 6 year old gets to where he wants to play with them or collect he'll have a nice place to start. Theres only so much time and in the end I'm putting newer errors back into the system for my CRH brothers that willl find them and make use of them in good time.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Edge check halves & dimes, date check nickels & cents

OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, thanks-that makes me feel better. I couldn't imagine the time and effort for all you guys to search for errors!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm not quite sure what you're asking, but:
i check for wheats, buffalo nickels, war nickels, halves, etc... i do not check the dates, i glance over and pick them out, if a coin looks odd to me, i do further inspections, they are usually "double rims" with machine doubling/DDO/DDR's.
hh
buff

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I put all of my dimes, quarters and halves in a big tupperware container and shake it to see if I can hear any silver.

simplyAARON

Greenie
May 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a dumb question at all. Typically, with halves, I will edge check first. Afterwards, I always make sure to transfer them from one hand to the other (one by one) so I can "see" what they sound like. That is how I identify magicians coins, as well as halves that are silver in clad clothing (the ones that are silver, but are difficult to identify from the edge). Dimes are a little trickier, but I basically do the same thing. One more thing, as it relates to halves... I also have been checking the reverses for missing engravers initials, just in case. After I get into a rythym, it goes quick, but getting into that rythym is a little difficult, especially when it is thrown off by locating silver and errors. Happy Hunting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread