What do you say to tellers?

BeamerCW

Aug 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure this has already been asked before but I couldn't find the answer. I'm hoping that, being a noob/first-time poster here, I'll get a free pass this time. Anyways what I'm wondering is... what do y'all say to bank tellers that ask about what you do with boxes and boxes of coins? Do you tell the truth and say you're just hunting for silver? Or do you pretend to be filling out old coin books and that you're just missing a few dates. I'm about to order my first two boxes of halves tomorrow and want to be prepared for any weird looks, haha. I can sorta see the benefit to both answers; I'm just wondering what you guys do. Thanks and HH!

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I tell them I'm going to roll around in the tub with them, but then again, my Grandma and my cousin work at the bank I go to, so it's all laughs. :P
Good luck!
Wicka

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just tell them you're looking for anything old, interesting, or collectible. Just be honest but you don't have to go out of your way to say "I'm collecting all silver pre 1965 (or 1971) coins"

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
i say that previous hobbies left me with less money and a pile of stuff that i didn't want an longer and that this one leaves me with a pile of money.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I tell them i'm saving all post 1982 Zinc Pennies because im from the future and they are worth thousands.

OP
OP
B

BeamerCW

Aug 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, thanks for all the quick, entertaining responses. I think I'll be going with Silver's advice on this one though.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Just tell them you collect old coins; that you are a coin collector. "I am always looking for old coins." It is best to not say anything if possible, except Thank You. I had a couple supervisors/managers hear that I was only a collector, and cut me off from ordering with a "this is for our business customers...You are wasting everyone's time..." which are now my favorite dump banks! If the tellers are cool with you, and are politely doing their job, you can make friends and perhaps have a extremely consistent pick up spot. I also bought a collection of a teller's sniped coins from my friendliest pickup bank a few weeks ago.

What every you do - do not mention the "s" word - SILVER!

I have had discussions with tellers about silver, but only if they bring it up, and I make sure I don't give out any details on how to find it, what to look for, etc. I do say if you every find some & want to sell it, here's my number.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ask ....... Hello can you order boxes of halfs??? If they say yes isay that would be great its JUST A HOBBY!!! ,,,,,, Can you get them every week??? Ok i can open a acct Thanks

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
These people work hard for me, so when they ask what I do, I tell them.
"I'm a coin collector. I look for the older coins."
They deserve that much respect, anyway.

Since I do very little CWR's I have never had any competition come from it that I know about.

After all, if you are really into secrecy, why post your finds and methods here?

Keep on Rollin' !

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I tell them I am pathologically afraid of accidentally ripping up my paper money, so I exclusivity deal with coins for my currency needs.

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to tell them I'm saving them up to fill a chest to play "Pirate" with. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread