My Finds In Pictures: Weaselbrotts Ongoing Coin Roll Hunting Diary

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Finds In Pictures: Weaselbrott's Ongoing Coin Roll Hunting Diary

This summer 2012, I started the coin roll hunting seriously. I signed up for a dump bank account to use their coin counter for the hobby that was soon to ensue. Upon dumping coinage over the many visits, this is what I found in the reject tube:
Pdqsvh.jpg
h7DlJh.jpg
1W6iDh.jpg
F8Isy.jpg
2Zvl8h.jpg
BTxeY.jpg
Machine wrapped rolls and customer wrapped rolls are giving me good luck at various pickup banks:
vOZWAh.jpg
76Ek9.jpg
9U2ZK.jpg
Nh9Gyh.jpg
And asking the teller if they have come across any "older coins" has also gone a long way:
vBnMd.jpg
oMsJV.jpg
and I just started with my first $1000 in halves as of recently and did fairly well with that:
Yxy7Bh.jpg
QHzD2h.jpg
I have started to really step it up now with halves once a week to every two weeks from another pick-up bank.
I just went on a mission to pickup and dump banks back to back to back and had a nice churn-out from a 2 hour stint unraveling dime rolls, asking for tray silver, dumping and checking reject trays:
0NACo.jpg

Anyway... this is just the start, way more to come! Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like the idea with pictures, keep at it, i am looking forward to seeing more posts from you on here!! hh
buff

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was a glorious day searching the reject tray at a few of my bank's branches today.
QtnFgh.jpg
First branch gave me 2 of those 40% bad boys, 2nd one gave me another one. Either there is a very lazy or uneducated coin roll hunter in my area who is only seeking 90%s, or somebody is dumping halves without a clue that they are silver.

This dime was found in another branch two days ago, also in a reject tray.
qmcxQh.jpg
Yesterday I was SKUNKED like roadkill, nothing! Today made up for it! This weekend I have 2 boxes of halves to pick up from a pick-up bank, and hoping I find my first ben or walker... Always more to come!

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my strangest coin in the coin counter today as the associate had to open it up to change out a coin bag. Here it is:
61Hu0.jpg UIvGS.jpg

Does anybody have any ideas on what this could be? Is it a remake of an old coin, or the real deal? Worth anything, or just a game piece?

Aside from that unique find, here is my latest find from $630 in half dollar rolls:
RvShB.jpg
A 1966 and two 1967 40% silver JFK halves. Not bad for less then an hour's work.

Last edited:

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I found my strangest coin in the coin counter today as the associate had to open it up to change out a coin bag. Here it is:
View attachment 667094 View attachment 667095

Does anybody have any ideas on what this could be? Is it a remake of an old coin, or the real deal? Worth anything, or just a game piece?

Aside from that unique find, here is my latest find from $630 in half dollar rolls:
View attachment 667103
A 1966 and two 1967 40% silver JFK halves. Not bad for less then an hour's work.

i have no idea what that coin is, but if its legit, it looks really old! take it to a local coin shop and have em' check it out for ya!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin if real, is most likely Roman. Post it in the "What Is It" forum and someone should tell you for sure.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday's finds were pretty good:
rOhH3.jpg
A 1947 Washington Quarter. This is my oldest Wash yet. Also, another 40% 1966 to add to the collection.

Today, I did my 2 boxes of halves from my pick-up bank that is close to home. My second box was a complete skunk, but my first box gave me these:
ecUJW.jpg
My second 1964 90% half, and a 1969 40% half. Not too bad at all...

Next week, I will head over to one of my pick-up banks that I go to near my job. They order halves on the regular, and I seem to do well with them too.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I found in the reject tube today after dumping several halves:
YPu50h.jpg
This was not one tray, but was actually the result of several dumps and checking the tubes in the back of the reject area after I was done. The first find was that ugly, beat up 1964 quarter. It is very cool to see just how malleable silver is compared to clad. Regardless, silver is silver, no matter how ugly the coin.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my bank, the reject coins fall out of a tube and into a tray where the coins are. I always inspect that tube for treasure. I am often rewarded for my search...often :)

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am totally killing the trays, but can you blame me? As for how do they stay in the tube? Dirt and grime teamed with the tube being positioned at an angle that does not allow them to slide easily. If not silver, there is almost certainly plenty of clad, or foreign coin.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man, which bank are you going to, i just might have to stop by and help you clean out that tube ;)
just joking, great finds! i've found silver in the reject tube twice in the past 4-5 years, the machines in my area take EVERYTHING... even game tokens ??? (i see them in the dollar bags and half dollar bags all the time)- but i do not put them into the machine, it's not worth getting in trouble for.
hh
buff

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like the '64 quarter was hammered. I have done that with a dime (clad) before to see what would happen.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never been happier to see an F-ed up quarter. Hammered sounds pretty plausible.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
you didn't hurt yourself, did you? also, damaging money/coins is illegal.

I didn't hurt myself. No, it is not illegal. If it was, all those museum pennies would be illegal. It is only illegal if you try to fradulently alter the coin (turn the word "cent" into "dollar" and try to spend it as a dollar.)

Legal to press pennies or other coins?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread