Bank new Anti Collector policy

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Stopped by an old pickup bank of mine, and decided to break down and buy halves. This is the only place I don't have to order boxes of halves and can buy by the roll. Well I was told about there new coinage policy today

For EVERY amount of coin ran through the coin counter, is a flat $1.00 fee. So I asked the teller if I brought in a jar with $1.19 in it, how much would I get? She said I would get $.19.

I cashed in $25 in cents (im low on funds the next few weeks so I am doing little volume) and got $24 of my own money back. Well, I bought rolls, and this gets even better.

I asked for $20 in halves, and they said no problem but theres a fee. So I asked, and and you are charged $.15 a roll for any denomination. I agreed, figuring .30 is nothing i've blown more money than that. Well then I asked her if I could buy $4 in loose halves, she said no problem but there is a $.05 fee per coin if you don't buy them rolled. So your telling me if I asked for 10 pennies, i'd be charged .50, and she said no and didnt explain from there.

So now you have to pay to get money. Asking for coin is the same as cashing your paycheck and asking for small bills or big bills. That's fine. If they wanna charge me $1 for coinage runs, I know tons of banks that will sell me pretty boxes of 2012 D cents. I'd pay my friend 10 bucks to open every single roll in $500 in cents, and dump them in many small jars, then I can go have $1000 worth of fun for $11. Not the ethical thing to do nor will I probably ever do it, but hey they said for ANY amount of coins its only a dollar.

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Sounds to me like you're wearing out your welcome with them. I'd go back to a different teller, or the manager, let them know that you do this as a hobby, and ask what they would consider to be a reasonable amount to either purchase or dump without a fee. Notice I said purchase OR dump; it sounds like you're doing both at the same branch, which will get you in their bad graces really quick.

Just my 2 cents...

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds to me like you're wearing out your welcome with them. I'd go back to a different teller, or the manager, let them know that you do this as a hobby, and ask what they would consider to be a reasonable amount to either purchase or dump without a fee. Notice I said purchase OR dump; it sounds like you're doing both at the same branch, which will get you in their bad graces really quick.

Just my 2 cents...

This bank was my pickup bank, until they had told me they would charge me .15 a roll, so I thought I'd dump there today and spend $.30 on halves. Well I go to find out, I misunderstood that you were charged $1 for any transaction. From what I had thought you were only charged $1 for every $100. But I guess it's $1 for any amount. Slap me with fees and i'll dump. Not buying my rolls there anymore. Just need to save up so my pickup bank can order me two boxes a week of halves

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any amount of coin for a dollar ain't a bad deal if you're bumping five boxes of halves!

Seriously though, it sounds like total BS the teller is throwing you. That can't be actual branch policy, five cents per coin without any relevancy to denomination? You caught her in the lie too, and she responded with liar's dignity (not answering your question). She's just trying to shake you, she figures that if she gives you a hard enough time you just won't come back. IF you want to be sure she's lying, have a family member (not a friend, same age would be too obvious) go in and ask for something light, like just a couple rolls of quarters. See if they get charged. I highly doubt it

It's probably not worth the time of the effort though to catch them in the lie and throw it in their face. From my experience, people get ravenous, like backing a wolverine into a corner. Trust me, I have a big mouth and a lot of logic to to along with it, and it rarely gets me anywhere. You could write a letter to corporate, that's more effective. It may just be time to find a new bank.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you have an account with this bank then you should remind the manager that is against OCC bank regulation policy to charge regular accounts , business account fees for coins, don't pay that crap, time for a little chat with the boss.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dump the bank. Join a credit union. You'll find more customer friendly policies there, almost universally.
Not necessarily, CU in my area fee you to death while the big banks don't....

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Dump the bank. Join a credit union. You'll find more customer friendly policies there, almost universally.
Neither of my credit unions will order coin, I've been with one for over 25 years. All of my banks will order for me.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get your father and make sure the rules are written down and not made up. if you have to, speak to somebody higher up in the managing chain.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
US Bank does not charge ME fees, so it is NOT standard policy. Although I am not one to say this often - you need to talk to the manager. Someone said something about taking your father. I don't know your age, but if you are under 20 I'd say that is a good idea, as it lends gravitas to your words.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you have an account with this bank then you should remind the manager that is against OCC bank regulation policy to charge regular accounts , business account fees for coins, don't pay that crap, time for a little chat with the boss.

but they can limit the amount of coins to sell, i have had couple hanus banks that do this after I tell them OCC rules.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
US Bank does not charge ME fees, so it is NOT standard policy. Although I am not one to say this often - you need to talk to the manager. Someone said something about taking your father. I don't know your age, but if you are under 20 I'd say that is a good idea, as it lends gravitas to your words.

There's your confirmation... I'd call customer service, file a complaint, go back in, talk to a manager, clarify that you are a customer of the bank and their job is to serve your needs... and if you could cite particular statutes of the OCC rules that define whatever these guys are talking about, I'm sure you'd have his back against the wall.

Geoff, can you clarify which parts of the OCC rules govern change and fees? I'd be interested to read it and save it somewhere for future use...

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad day when you have an account with a bank lending them thousands of dollars but they literally want to nickel and dime you to death.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread