Question about vending machines? Do they reject Silver? Please tell me if you know.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I picked up 2 more boxes today and was chatting with the manager about coins and such and upping my order. We got on the subject of deliveries and orders and people bringing in change to her, she tells me it's no problem ordering coins because every week she has to ship out boxes of Quarters from a guy who has a vending machine business. So I asked her if I could search one of the boxes next week instead of her shipping it out with the others and she says sure no problem I'll keep one for you.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows or has tried something like this before and if you know if the machines would reject the Silver?

Also found out she orders boxes of halves for someone else every so often she says. So any input would be great.

By the way, Box 1= skunk, Box 2= 4 enders ( 1 a 50 Ben) 4 90%'s ( 1 a walker) and 15 40%'s! HH, Maverick.

Upvote 0

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that at least some do.
However I have never actually stuffed a silver quarter into a vending machine to check for myself.

I would guess it depends on the vending machine maker. Some very well may, while others may swallow them right down

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
AS KFS said, I've never tried a silver quarter in a machine :) I hoard all my silver

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never tried it either, but, I'm thinking this is a great opportunity to search what are essentially CWR's by the box. We'll see what happens next week I guess. Maverick.

icanhelpasap

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some machines wont take canadian, they will toss them the same as dimes,nickles and pennies. I have around 40 machines on location and get silver quarters all the time.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Some machines wont take canadian, they will toss them the same as dimes,nickles and pennies. I have around 40 machines on location and get silver quarters all the time.

Thanks, that good to know you can still get silver out of them, maybe this is the case with this guys machines too.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run a Pepsi vending route, and quarters are NO go. The weight difference is too extreme and it gets rejected. I've tried different quarters of different conditions in dozens of different types of machines.

Now, dimes can get accepted depending on wear, and of course war nickels readily get accepted. I suggest try the dime and nickels that the guy cashes in, and leave the quarters to get shipped off.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I run a Pepsi vending route, and quarters are NO go. The weight difference is too extreme and it gets rejected. I've tried different quarters of different conditions in dozens of different types of machines.

Now, dimes can get accepted depending on wear, and of course war nickels readily get accepted. I suggest try the dime and nickels that the guy cashes in, and leave the quarters to get shipped off.

Ya, I asked about what he brought in and she said mostly Quarters, I don't know what kind of vending machines he runs but I"m assuming they mostly take quarters, maybe claw machines or games but not sure yet. I ask a little more when I get my order again. Thanks, Maverick.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Where I used to work the vending machines did reject 90% silver dimes. I found that out by accident before I started paying attention to coins - with a 90% FDR. Years later, I watched a guy drop a Ag dime 3-4 times. I asked to see it and sure enough, it was Ag. I bought his soda ($0.60) in trade for it. He was ecstatic.

I ended up chatting with the vending machine route guy after talking to him about me dropping a half dollar into one of them as an experiment (it didn't take). He told me that the machines accept some foreign coins, but no US silver and no half dollars.

It really depends on the machine. It is worth a try. I couldn't begin to guess how many Qtrs you should search before giving up on that source. Qtrs are pretty hard to come by.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Where I used to work the vending machines did reject 90% silver dimes. I found that out by accident before I started paying attention to coins - with a 90% FDR. Years later, I watched a guy drop a Ag dime 3-4 times. I asked to see it and sure enough, it was Ag. I bought his soda ($0.60) in trade for it. He was ecstatic.

I ended up chatting with the vending machine route guy after talking to him about me dropping a half dollar into one of them as an experiment (it didn't take). He told me that the machines accept some foreign coins, but no US silver and no half dollars.

It really depends on the machine. It is worth a try. I couldn't begin to guess how many Qtrs you should search before giving up on that source. Qtrs are pretty hard to come by.

Thanks Madwest, I search halves primarily but I'd like to get some more Quarters , when the manager told me about the vendor I thought it might be a good opportunity to find a few more. I've searched quarters ( a few boxes) with the same results as everyone else pretty much (skunks), but of course, you'll never find them if you don't try once in a while to search a box. I'm going to try one of his boxes to see what I find, if I find 1, I'll probably try another one. Heck, if I found even 1 per box I'd be pretty happy with that considering how hard they are to find. If I find nothing then thats probably the last one I'll try. HH, Maverick.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, well if it's arcade/entertainment then yeah, maybe there could be some silver. My father collected lots of silver through pool tables (where it's only the silver that matters, not the weight or conductivity)

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I friend of mine who knows that I am into coins asked me why when earlier that day he attempted to buy a can of soda one of his quarters was rejected. He said the quarter wasn't worn and was dated 1964.

I have a different friend who owns a few vending machines, I loaned him a silver quarter and dime to try on his machines.
His machines would not take either. So he checks the nickels for liberty head, Buffs and war nickels.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most newer vending machines use a sample coin to discriminate against all other coins. Some older ones will take silver but they can easily have updated coin mechs.

iammoleman2

Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I can probably get all the bags of quarters I could ever want from my banks coin machine. They have some customers with vending machines and they fill bags of quarters quite often. I also ran into a guy dumping coins one day and he said they were from a laundromat. A Google search brought me to this thread. Looks like it could go either way although I think the coin slide mechanism on a washing machine would be less discriminating of the coins than a vending machine. Maverick, my question is for you. Did you ever get a box to search and what were your results?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread