Date Line: West Central Florida Smittyw Dream Find, 8-31-12

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
(SEE UDATE TO THIS IN BELOW POST 9-9-12) SmittyW(SW) on his never ending quest for truth, justice and really nice silver counts, goes to his local BOA branch and makes a pick-up of his two previously ordered half dollar boxes(numbering 8 and 9 for the week) at the drive-thru.

Upon obtaining said boxes, SW notices numerous rolls of a rather large coin lying at a tellers station in wrappers unlike SW had ever seen before. The ever curious SW asks the head teller, "What are those rolls of coin on the other tellers station?" and learns they are customer rolled half's that had just come in. Being late for work already and with a line of cars waiting in the lane behind him, SW pulls away from the window after getting his boxes and proceeds out of the bank parking lot toward the main road.

SW comes to a sudden stop as he realizes that he can't just leave those poor rolls of half dollars all by themselves in a cold uncaring bank, aching to be searched by someone who really cared. SW quickly U turns and hurries in the bank to save those half dollar rolls from obscurity and being placed in a cold dark vault.

SW approached the sweet young teller girl who is allowing those poor half dollar rolls to just sit out in the open on her teller station and inquires if he might purchase them. SW finds that there are $200 worth of those oddly covered rolls there that were just brought in by a nice lady and quickly decides to rescue them.

Being a bank that has bullet proof protection in front of the teller and a small tray to pass items through, the teller began to lay the coin rolls in the tray after receiving payment. SW noticed that the first roll placed in the tray had OLD written on it in red pen. Part of the paper wrapper was torn away at one end and SW noted a beautiful silver light shinning off the coin inside. SW's heart began to race a little more as each old roll was placed into the tray and then rescued. SW thanked the sweet teller very much and made a hurried exit as his work site was waiting.

Finally, during a lull at work, SW has the opportunity to search the coin rolls. SW opens the newest looking rolls first and all the coins are post 1971. SW next opens the older wrappers and just about pees his pants. Two solid rolls of 90% coins, mostly 1964, and a mixed roll half 90% and 40% and then more 40% coins in their own rolls. A few Bens were mixed in with the 90s.

Final count from the customer rolls is 50 90% coins and 29 40%ers. Happy Dance was the word for the day.

Including what was found through other box searching for the week, SW ended with 53 90% and 38 40%. SW bought a double lemon M pie for the tellers and delivered it the next day.

Happy hunting to you all, pics will be coming soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find smitty, if somebody on here deserves it, you do! nothing like some quick silver to keep you going for next week's boxes!
hh
buff

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job turning around, I wouldn't have even gotten out of the parking lot! :P
Also, thanks for telling the entire story. Eats up a bit of time but makes it all better :D :D :D
Good luck!
Wicka

OP
OP
smittyw

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Trying to upload a pic of the 90%s.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    423.3 KB · Views: 207
OP
OP
smittyw

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Here are the 40%s.

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    402.7 KB · Views: 185

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, amazing find! We all dream of that kind of luck, and kudos to you for achieving it, and here's to catching that kind of rush again in the future! Happy Hunting!

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score... there's nothing like the big ones, eh?

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SW, huge congrats. WTG. Also, really enjoyed the way you told the story. HH
Merc

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find there Smitty! It still amazes me that people still turn in rolls like these. HH, Maverick.

Squid

Sep 4, 2012
SoCal
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000/d
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing finds. All that silver, should just donate it to [me].

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great day !! Bringing the pie to them was a nice thing to do !! Hopefully they will remember you next time some CWRs come in . Congrats !!

OP
OP
smittyw

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
UPDATE:: Went back to same branch yesterday(9-7-12) to pick up my latest half box order and another nice teller runs over to the drive thru window and says she has 5 rolls of Customer rolled halves that just came in and asked if i wanted them. Of course I did. Got excited as I recognized the odd wrappers to be the same older type that the dream find were in, just not as many rolls.

Went through the newer rolls first and they were a mix of post 71's and some 1976's. Went for the oldest looking roll next and "bingo" again. A solid roll, all 1969 coins. Well it made my day one more time.

I had left the bank to look through the coins and after having found the new solid roll, I decided to run back over and ask them to check if any of the other tellers may have taken in more of the same that day. Unfortunately no one had, but it caused them to check there drawers and I was able to snag another 1968 and a '46 walker. I'll buy that for a Dollar, ha. Loved it. HH all.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You maggot!

1 dollar please, thank you.

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Nice finds it is always nice to take all that silver of the banks hands at face value happy hunting Gold eye

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread