Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For folks who do not rely on huge box volume, please read the short hints below.

Tip #1

problem: you want to ask for rolls are every bank possible, but some of the banks you are not yet a member of won't sell to you.

Solution: Preempt the conversation with the teller with this little gem: "I was at our north-end branch, and then mentioned you might have some half dollar coins, they were all out up there."

This makes the teller think you already have an account, and that you treasured guest of the bank.

i use this tactic whenver I want to go a bank I know doesn't like non-members. Their are a lot of them in seattle. union bank, salah bank, Washington federal, banner bank, opus bank, WSECU....these small banks have a few branches each in the seattle area, and I use this trick on them all the time.

Tip #2 - this one is easy. use google map, and type in 'bank' in the search bar, and just browse over a potential area. I have found several banks, and silver with this trick. should be obvious to anyone serious, but maybe it will help someone.

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done the google trip before (my wife LOVES this! I can find banks on our way to things so she can watch me be a nerd!), but the other one is a good idea I need to try out!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"oh yeah, you have an account? do you know your account number?"... uh... hang on, ummm... no.
just joking, thanks for sharing!
hh
buff

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"oh yeah, you have an account? do you know your account number?"... uh... hang on, ummm... no.
just joking, thanks for sharing!
hh
buff
"go ahead and slide your card for me "......uh,uh,em......LoL. Now I look like a freakin idiot and can never show my face, awesome. I learned early on to not even try banks without an account. Around here you will get the third degree if you try to exchange a couple hundred in small bills without an account let alone a bunch of coin.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i try banks without an account... if they ask me, i can't lie, i say, "no". they will get you one way or another, especially when it only takes your name or social to enter into the computer, it make it easy for them to ask you.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have an account?

No ma'am, but my regular bank does not have any halves and my wife needs some for a classroom project with her students. Could you spare some?

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit up banks all the time that I don't have an account at but usually only asking for halves and big dollar coins. They usually are happy to get rid of those. If they ask me though, I fess up to not having an account.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are a student you can open accounts at most banks with no minimum balance and no monthly fee.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I go into banks I don't have an account with all the time, I have not been denied yet, I just ask nicely if they have any halves they want to sell or get rid of. I even have a bank that saves me halves and big Dollars that Istop into every week or so when I'm picking up my order from the bank right next to it. HH, Maverick.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
It really bugs me when banks don't sell coin (loose halves, large dollars) to non-customers. It shouldn't matter if it is a cash-cash transaction. If you don't give good customer service to someone before they have an account, how do you ever expect to have people to get accounts? If a bank asks if I have an account and I don't, I don't open up accounts at that bank, simple as that. On the other hand the banks that have given me good service without an account I've opened (and used) accounts there even if they aren't always the most convenient bank. The idea that they are taking a potential loss due to 'counterfeit' cash is silly, there simply aren't that many counterfeit bills out there (well, to be honest -all- US dollars are counterfeit as they are fiat currency that isn't backed up by anything) and counterfeit bills are pretty easy to detect.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go into banks I don't have an account with all the time, I have not been denied yet, I just ask nicely if they have any halves they want to sell or get rid of. I even have a bank that saves me halves and big Dollars that Istop into every week or so when I'm picking up my order from the bank right next to it. HH, Maverick.

Yea but try dumping or exchanging coin without an account.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea but try dumping or exchanging coin without an account.

I never have tried that, everyone knows better than to expect a bank to do an exchange or a dump without an account, or they should if they don't, I'm tired of people complaining about a bank that won't order or dump without an account. HH, Maverick.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thinking of a reason why I need the coin without having an account is half the fun. My nephews birthday, teacher wife for the kids, my bank didn't have any, I'm shopping banks to open an account, etc etc etc

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"go ahead and slide your card for me "......uh,uh,em......LoL. Now I look like a freakin idiot and can never show my face, awesome. I learned early on to not even try banks without an account. Around here you will get the third degree if you try to exchange a couple hundred in small bills without an account let alone a bunch of coin.

Exactly. And all it does it turn off people to being a member one day. I used to bank with Wells Fargo for years then switched to BoA when Wells didnt have branches in my area. One day I stopped in a Wells Fargo to break a $20 bill into a a couple of 5s and a 10. The teller gave a huge attitude and acted like she was loaning me 10 large just for making change. Just for that if I ever open a Wells account it will be purely to dump on..

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never run into a problem if I am asking for halves or silver dollar coins.
Most tellers I run into are very happy to get ride of a roll or two of halves or a large old dollar coins or loose halves.

Ask for $50 in dimes or a box of dimes. Then, do you have an account with us, is a rather common question.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honesty is the best policy. If they require an account, then open an account or move on. Lieing is not worth it to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread