toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Halves and Cents hunt gets Silver and Copper

Just ran to a few banks and grabbed $25 in pennies and $240 in halves. I will post results when I am finished. HH!

Wow, pretty impressed with these results. 5 %40ers from the $240 in halves. A 1966 and 4x 1967. A nice little haul of copper to add to the bucket. Got like 5 wheats but just threw them in the jar before i could take a pic. Earliest was a 1930-S. Love this hobby. HH!

9.12.12.pre82.jpg 9.12.12.slv.jpg 9.12.12.stack.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That makes 7 silver from about $350 from the one bank. I need to start getting my boxes ordered there.

RESET

Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please forgive the NOOB question. I am thinking about doing some CRHing and would like to do halves. I know the 40% coins are clad but can you tell them from the normal clad from the side? I would hate to think that I would have to look at the face of each coin to check the date.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please forgive the NOOB question. I am thinking about doing some CRHing and would like to do halves. I know the 40% coins are clad but can you tell them from the normal clad from the side? I would hate to think that I would have to look at the face of each coin to check the date.

Actually you need to take them to an assayers office and have them analyzed

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for 1987 D & P in addition to silver so I look at the face always anyways but I have never found a 40% that I did not see from the side but I hear sometimes they do look like clads

So the assayers office is the only certain way to know for sure.

Best of Luck to you

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can definitely tell the 40% from the clad. Sometimes it can blend in but you should be able to tell after a good look. I then drop them in a box to listen for silver as a second check.

RESET

Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for 1987 D & P in addition to silver so I look at the face always anyways but I have never found a 40% that I did not see from the side but I hear sometimes they do look like clads

So the assayers office is the only certain way to know for sure.

Best of Luck to you

Do you assay all your silver to make sure it is silver? I assume that was a facetious response. I will keep my eye out for those souvenir 87s for you. Maybe I will drop them in my stock pot to cement out silver and other precious metals that I have dissolved for refining. :laughing7:

Last edited:

RESET

Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I just read all this again and that last comment of mine was a total jerk response. Totally uncalled for. I truly apologize.

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Your wheat jar is just like mine!!! Mine is a plastic rectangular shaped container! I would put a pic but I'm at school. Yes we are allowed to use our phones :) Nice finds!

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your wheat jar is just like mine!!! Mine is a plastic rectangular shaped container! I would put a pic but I'm at school. Yes we are allowed to use our phones :) Nice finds!

I have about $20 in rolled wheats and another $2 in pre-1940 wheats. About $400 in pre-1982 cents. HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions