Starting to get paranoid, I need some words of wisdom from you CRHers

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals. I just came back from my "lunch" which is really just becoming a coin roll hunting mission. What I do on these missions is go to one bank to dump, then go to another to get coin, then another to dump, etc.... I go to a total of 3 dump branches of my bank per day on an average day. In my dump bank branches, which are in a very big and busy city, there are armed police officers just standing around, usually just sitting with their hands in the pockets and just getting a paycheck. First off, this is my tax money spent to guard a private institution, which happens to be my dump bank... but I digress...

So in going to all three of these dump branches today, I noticed something that caught my eye. Each police officer was scribbling something on a note pad as I left each bank. I am normally not particularly paranoid about much, but I sincerely believe they were capturing my time in and out of the branch, and other descriptive info, and I believe that since all three were doing so, this is no coincidence. I am always quite courteous to the tellers, and to all bank employees, but I can't help but think they feel I am in some sort of violation, or perhaps are trying to investigate me for suspicious activity. Any ideas? Has anybody else had similar experiences? I know I am doing nothing wrong, nor have any intent to do anything outside of the law, but at the same time, I know that frequent dumping might not be the way to stay off a bank's radar. What do you guys think? Am I being investigated? Please give me any advise. Thanks, and as always, happy hunting!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is no big deal. We got guards at most of the banks here. Most of them are busy on the phone a few have opened doors for me when I am dumping as I have a large canvas bank bag full of change. On one occasion I had one of them question me as he had saw me the day before at a different bank same branch. I told him honestly I collect coins and these are my discards. He kinda snubbed me and said he collects state national park territory quarters but he just goes in a buys a few rolls and that's it. I told him to each their own, the coins I am looking for are errors and they occur less likely and are harder to find. He just blew me off and now I just ignore him when I see him now.

As far as money laundering the FBI wont come knocking first.
Last year I was dumping at 2 different days at 2 same branch small banks. It was basically 1k bag on wed at one branch another 1k bag at a different branch on friday. They only have 1 other branch period. After about a month of this, the brinks guy spoke with the bank prez. After I dropped off a bag I was asked to speak with the bank manager privately in her office. She said my account had been flagged for potential money laundering. I kinda felt like I was being sent to the principal's office. I told her exactly what I was doing. It is the same 1k each time, I just buy coins from a different bank and return here. I said it is a hobby of mine and if you can't complete this transaction then I will be glad to close my 5 year account and remove 15k from this bank in cash and move my business elsewhere. She backed off immediantly and laughed and just said no that's ok we just need a paper trail. You can still do it just must fill out a deposit and withdrawl slip each time to show it on paper. Now I still dump there on occasion but only when I go over my normal amount. They are just my overload bank.
No black lincolns or suburbans have since showed at my door in the middle of the night.
Basically all of this stems from 9-11 and the patriot act, it is just a precaution the bank's must follow. I asked if I was going to launder money do you seriously think I would do it using 50 pound bags of half dollars on a regular basis like clockwork. I would think criminals would be a little smarter than that.
She got a good laugh about that and agreed.

Thanks for the story man. Yeah, I figured I might be getting flagged or something. Stupid patriot act is ruining my coin roll hunt; among other things!

Okie115

Apr 15, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quick send all of yer silvers to me. I'll bury them in an undisclosed location and I'll have the only copy of the map sent to your great grandchildren. Any and all dumps can be sent to me as well and I'll do the same with them. Change your name by going to your local cemetery and playing the pick a rock game. Be sure to chisel out the name you choose so nobody can find out that you stole it. Call the social security office and vital records, let them know that there has been a huge mistake that you are indeed still alive and they need to correct this error. Feed them a story how you have been living abroad for the past ten or so years and when you returned and tried to get a dwelling established in your name they gave you the bad news. That should get you started for now...keep us updated!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time go in with some red road flares in your back pocket. That will get you pushed to the floor. With a black sharpe put TNT on them.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time go in with some red road flares in your back pocket. That will get you pushed to the floor. With a black sharpe put TNT on them.

Oh.. You mean something like.. this?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like they are doing something related to you/your dumps... i've never been to a bank with a security guard though...
hh
buff

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ask them to play ROH SHAM BOH with the taser!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as money laundering the FBI wont come knocking first.
Last year I was dumping at 2 different days at 2 same branch small banks. It was basically 1k bag on wed at one branch another 1k bag at a different branch on friday. They only have 1 other branch period. After about a month of this, the brinks guy spoke with the bank prez. After I dropped off a bag I was asked to speak with the bank manager privately in her office. She said my account had been flagged for potential money laundering. I kinda felt like I was being sent to the principal's office. I told her exactly what I was doing. It is the same 1k each time, I just buy coins from a different bank and return here. I said it is a hobby of mine and if you can't complete this transaction then I will be glad to close my 5 year account and remove 15k from this bank in cash and move my business elsewhere. She backed off immediantly and laughed and just said no that's ok we just need a paper trail. You can still do it just must fill out a deposit and withdrawl slip each time to show it on paper. Now I still dump there on occasion but only when I go over my normal amount. They are just my overload bank.
No black lincolns or suburbans have since showed at my door in the middle of the night.
Basically all of this stems from 9-11 and the patriot act, it is just a precaution the bank's must follow. I asked if I was going to launder money do you seriously think I would do it using 50 pound bags of half dollars on a regular basis like clockwork. I would think criminals would be a little smarter than that.
She got a good laugh about that and agreed.

I remember the last time I laundered money...

I left a roll of half dollars in my pocket.

Never wanted to wash my clothes ever again.
:laughing7:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, you might be telling us lies and actually breaking the law.

Or, you might be paranoid.

Take your pick. :) But I wouldn't worry. :icon_thumleft:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fortuante in that the Manager of my CU is a CRH as well. We struck up a conversation one day when he had to empty the bin. He comments to me were "Dump Away". The CU lets you dump
$100.00 a day for free then 4% over that. Sometimes I get my favorite teller and I know if I just deposit the money he will waive the 4%.

You should also search the forum for GoldenCoin (I Think), he was investigated by the FBI and NCIS <seriously>. It was a good read and can be found in this forum.
Best wishes and remember to ask them to loosen the handcuffs a little so you do not loose feeling in your hands...:laughing7:

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next time you see that happening, approach the officer and simply say you couldn't help notice that it seemed like you were taking my description down, and ask if you can help with anything. You're doing nothing wrong so there shouldn't be any problem.
RUN RUN as fast as you can when you see them do this. LOl no crhstreetwalker is right you are doing nothing wrong. if they ask they prob will tell them the truth as to you are looking for coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread