Acetone

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone on here use Acetone to remove fingerprints from Proofs found in the wild? I found a total of 6 clad proofs in my last half dollar box. Looked to be a small collection dump as 3 of them were found in the same roll. 4 of the proofs are in great condition but have some fingerprints that I would like to remove. Any tips or instructions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do it, what do you have to lose? i once found a dime in one of my dime rolls that had pink nail polish on it, but looked shiny from what I could tell(i couldn't read the date)... dipped it in nail polish remover and out popped a 1988-S clad proof dime that looks flawless.

afterall, there is really no market for proofs, why not!
hh
buff

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost have 10 face in clad proof.

Might want to slang it on embay.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm definitely going to dip the proofs in acetone. Just wanted to see if anyone has any tips on procedures.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long do you dip for? 1 second?

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
acetone is a known cancer causing agent. wear gloves, & be careful. If you look at finger nail polish remover now there is no acetone in it. but who knows what they replaced it with? O & I'm sure air is a cancer causing agent now too!?:tongue3:

vetarun

Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use soaked cotton ball with acetone. I don't use fingernail polish remover. I heard it has an additive in it. Works great

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read different techniques online. Some people do multiple soaks of 20 seconds. Some even longer.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work with acetone on a daily basis, it's the preferable solvent to clean off almost anything. It evaporates really fast, and is less toxic than say methanol or dicholoromethane, or any of those really nasty solvents. In chemistry as an undergraduate, they would give everyone a squirt bottle of acetone along with a squirt bottle of water. Just wear gloves and do it in a well ventilated area. Honestly if you are only doing it every now and then you don't have much to worry about. Now if it's your daily job to be working with acetone, then you want to take every caution possible

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although acetone will eat the hell out of anything plastic. metals are ok though

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I clean my MD Finds in Nail Polish Remover.. Never done it with CRH finds.. I'll grab some clad proofs and see what they do.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
acetone is a known cancer causing agent. wear gloves, & be careful. If you look at finger nail polish remover now there is no acetone in it. but who knows what they replaced it with? O & I'm sure air is a cancer causing agent now too!?:tongue3:

Acetone is not a known carcinogen. Also, many nail polish removers still contain acetone. I believe a few companies now make a remover that is acetone free.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Keep windows open and invest in tongs. Many people will dip any silver that is being submitted for grading to reduce the possibility of spotting. Dip away as any you find CRH are likely "impaired" proofs and are only worth about face. I've never had any luck removing finger prints as acetone will only remove prints that are very recent. It will remove haze off of them.

Maine_Jim

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I think most nail polish remover these days is just straight turpentine.

silvershooter

Sep 13, 2012
north central,In
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not used acetone, but have dropped them in TarnX seems to work ok on the ones I've found.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about acetone being dangerous.
Like everyone said, just use it in a well ventilated area. It can come into contact with skin for short amounts of time with no real issues. It just makes that part of your skin feel cold since it is so volatile and evaporates very quickly.
In my organic chem lab we all had acetone and water spray bottles too so we could clean out our glassware after each experiment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread