Gifts for tellers - Opinions

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a great relationship with my pickups, but my dump banks have been getting ornery (about 50%). I only bring 2 boxes of halves to each dump bank once a week, or at some once every 2 weeks. I am always very very friendly. However, I haven't gotten any food or other gifts for any of the banks/tellers yet. Honestly, it seems a bit awkward to me, and I'm afraid it would make them feel awkward. It seems though as most people on this site say gifts are the way to go.

Can I get all your opinions? Do you give tellers gifts, and if so how often and what? Have you ever gotten any so-so, awkward, or bad reactions? I just have this overwhelming feeling that they will think I'm trying to butter them up - although maybe they won't care! I would love if someone buttered me up a bit with some lunch and coffee

HH

Upvote 0

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Doughnuts are a cheap.
Well worth the effort to pass out a couple boxes from a local bakery (not walmart).
Tellers and coin machine attendants at 6 or the 7 banks I deal with hold every silver and odd coin that comes through for me. At a couple they motion me over as soon as I walk in the lobby as if to get my attention first- just to tell me they go a batch of CWR's! Only 1 bank has a head teller that keeps it all herself- but the rest pass it to me at face.
I get more from tellers than boxes and I truly believe the doughnuts, conversation and witty banter are the key.

(If you feel wierd about doing it - Next visit- tell them something like ' You know, for all the heavy lifting and work ya'll do for me- I ought to bring ya'll some doughnuts or chocolate..." Then converse about what they'd prefer. Next time you walk in with a box that's not a coin box- they'll be smiling and ready to assist you.)

Making them friends is always going to serve you better than making them enemies...
PEACE

Last edited:

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy them treats all the time. You'd be surprised how nice they are to me.

jd750707

Mar 4, 2013
SW Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I like that my credit union has a machine, no one to deal with... The only time they get upset is when the machine is full midway through my dump... (which seems to be every dang time I go now..)

Mar 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lurked on this forum for a good while but some of the responses here really beg a response from me.

This will make me immedately unpopular. You should stop villifying tellers. We CRH too. We don't 'snipe' or 'steal' silver in any different way than you folks, we're just in the right place at the right time (also just like you!) As a float teller, I've personally told every branch I work at, in a large metro area, about silver. Some branches keep it for me, other branches decide to keep it for themselves. I come out ahead the end. (JUST LIKE YOU GUYS)

I had one guy who would always come in and asks if we have silver coins. Finally one day I brought a few of my peace dollars in to show him and talked to him about them. He doesn't come in anymore.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
blizzardbuffalo said:
I've lurked on this forum for a good while but some of the responses here really beg a response from me.

This will make me immedately unpopular. You should stop villifying tellers. We CRH too. We don't 'snipe' or 'steal' silver in any different way than you folks, we're just in the right place at the right time (also just like you!) As a float teller, I've personally told every branch I work at, in a large metro area, about silver. Some branches keep it for me, other branches decide to keep it for themselves. I come out ahead the end. (JUST LIKE YOU GUYS)

I had one guy who would always come in and asks if we have silver coins. Finally one day I brought a few of my peace dollars in to show him and talked to him about them. He doesn't come in anymore.

I understand your point of view and any of us would cull silver if we worked as tellers. I am disappointed when I learn a teller is culling but can't be mad about it. And I do appreciate knowing about it so I don't waste my time. However, I do take issue with a float teller spreading the word. I have a skunk haired float teller at one of my local banks who has put a big hurting on my silver finds and for a while I couldn't avoid her. She was everywhere, going through other tellers trays and rolls and ruining it for me. She really does have skunk hair, white in front, black in back. Weird. Anyway, I haven't seen her for two weeks and I'm hoping she has started a new, non banking career.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a great relationship with my pickups, but my dump banks have been getting ornery (about 50%). I only bring 2 boxes of halves to each dump bank once a week, or at some once every 2 weeks. I am always very very friendly. However, I haven't gotten any food or other gifts for any of the banks/tellers yet. Honestly, it seems a bit awkward to me, and I'm afraid it would make them feel awkward. It seems though as most people on this site say gifts are the way to go.

Can I get all your opinions? Do you give tellers gifts, and if so how often and what? Have you ever gotten any so-so, awkward, or bad reactions? I just have this overwhelming feeling that they will think I'm trying to butter them up - although maybe they won't care! I would love if someone buttered me up a bit with some lunch and coffee

HH
I have given my pick up back and dump bank dounuts. One of the young girls gave me 2 1964 and 2 40% I gave her a box of dounuts the next day she seemed embarrassed about it but was fine when I went in a couple days later and gave the head teller a box for ordering me a couple of boxes she shared with the young teller and no one else.It works for me.
Good luck on what you decide to do.
HH Cooper

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy cookies, pies, cakes, cupcakes, w/e for banks, and take them in ONLY on dump days. I know it sounds very rude and mean but i train them with classical conditioning (Pavlov's dog). I made sure to set it up so i have plenty of dump banks around, if i stop dumping at one that i order coins from they ask HEY why no more cookies?!?!? I tell them OH I used to bring them in when i had to bag up coins because i feel bad about the hassle to deal with all of them. They said, we don't mind a few bags, bring us some goodies!!! So they are conditioned, now my banks ask me to bring them coins because they get treats. Sad.... manipulative...??... Maybe, but w/e works =P

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Get them nothing and yourself thicker skin. IMO, a big part of the hobby is being able to deal with the potential dirty looks and unhappy tellers when you bring them 50-100lbs of coins.

I would rather dump my coins with out all the dirty looks, I just brought in 2 dozen donuts in to one of my dump banks and their faces lit up ( who doesn't love donuts on Friday) I had 8 bags to dump and was going to stop at 2 branches that were far apart, When I mentioned it to the lead teller that I had one more stop to make, she asked what I had left, I said 4 more bags, she said you know what save your self the trip and leave them here, you can drop 8 bags today instead of you normal 4 since you made our morning, it saved me a lot of time and hassle. I bring treats, donuts and homemade goodies on kinda a regular basis to most of my pickup and dump banks, they do appreciate it, and it does have it's advantages. I also got a $1.00 Silver Certificate and a 1943 Quarter saved for me yesterday from one of my cool tellers because I'm nice and bring them treats every now and then.

To each his own and everyone will do what they like, I personally don't like being "That Guy" everytime I go into the bank to pick up or dump, it's better if they LIKE you and not think "Uhh, here come that dang guy again with all those freakin coins again" They see me and think, "cool, here come that guy and he's got goodies!" More flies with honey than vinegar, that's what I go by. HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys have seen these before, but this is what I make for my banks too, they LOOOOVE THEM, and are cheap to make, but the WOW factor is def there for them. :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Attachments

• DSCN5437.JPG
    DSCN5437.JPG
    652 KB · Views: 79

Big Fat Cheeseball

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would rather dump my coins with out all the dirty looks, I just brought in 2 dozen donuts in to one of my dump banks and their faces lit up ( who doesn't love donuts on Friday) I had 8 bags to dump and was going to stop at 2 branches that were far apart, When I mentioned it to the lead teller that I had one more stop to make, she asked what I had left, I said 4 more bags, she said you know what save your self the trip and leave them here, you can drop 8 bags today instead of you normal 4 since you made our morning, it saved me a lot of time and hassle. I bring treats, donuts and homemade goodies on kinda a regular basis to most of my pickup and dump banks, they do appreciate it, and it does have it's advantages. I also got a $1.00 Silver Certificate and a 1943 Quarter saved for me yesterday from one of my cool tellers because I'm nice and bring them treats every now and then.

To each his own and everyone will do what they like, I personally don't like being "That Guy" everytime I go into the bank to pick up or dump, it's better if they LIKE you and not think "Uhh, here come that dang guy again with all those freakin coins again" They see me and think, "cool, here come that guy and he's got goodies!" More flies with honey than vinegar, that's what I go by. HH, Maverick.

Mav knows how to play the game! I do the same and have never been cut off from from any dump or pu bank yet! You can catch more bees with honey than vinegar!:icon_thumright:

HH

Big Fat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread