Weekend Halves

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had dimes to pick up at one bank on Saturday but VT was off so will have to wait until later. Picked up two boxes of halves from same skunky bank as last time. The boxes had the same code stamped on there as the last batch, so I wasn't expecting to get anything...and wouldn't you know it that's exactly what I got (unless you count a 1987-p). I think I'm done with this bank as far as halves go. Going to see if I can get Chase to order halves and hope they use a different supplier.

Having moved a couple times in the last two years, I firmly believe that success in this hobby depends heavily on where you live and how many coin counters you have in your area. I think if you have a lot of coin counters (that don't reject silver) you will get much more making it into boxes, as there are just too many tellers that know about silver and too many people snatching up CWR's. Sure you can get lucky once in awhile but it's very hard to get consistent results. I didn't realize how good I had it when I first started doing this almost two years ago. Used to be skunk boxes were not that common, now it seems to be the norm and finding 1 or 2 silvers is like hitting the jackpot. I hate to admit it but searching halves doesn't give me the thrill it did before. I need to find something good soon before I lose total interest. At least I can still count on finding 1-2 dimes in almost every box.

Anybody else getting down on halves or is it just me?

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Perhaps, expand your hunt criteria. Besides silver, there are plenty of other keepers. As CRH'ers, we have a unique opportunity that the rest of the coin collecting world is reluctant to embrace. At our fingertips are thousands of coins that what we search in a week, other collectors would only dream to view in a lifetime. Challenge yourself as a hunter. You don't have to search for every single variety. Try one. Try and find a '74-D DDO.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do feel your frustration. 10 years ago no one hunted in my area and silver was easy. However, I still enjoy the hunt and it is that much better when you do find some. Good luck.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I agree 100%

I move and travel a lot as I'm in the military. The area you're in makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
coincrawlin

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps, expand your hunt criteria. Besides silver, there are plenty of other keepers. As CRH'ers, we have a unique opportunity that the rest of the coin collecting world is reluctant to embrace. At our fingertips are thousands of coins that what we search in a week, other collectors would only dream to view in a lifetime. Challenge yourself as a hunter. You don't have to search for every single variety. Try one. Try and find a '74-D DDO.

When I first started hunting I looked at every '74 hoping to find a DDO. Eventually I got tired of looking and now I just toss em back...just doesn't interest me. I still enjoy finding a good proof coin but lately I can't even find any of those, that's what's so depressing. Heck, I'd even take a clad commemorative (have never found any of those, although I've found 2 silver comms). Maybe I need to search nicks again and see if I can find a Buff, as I've never found one of those either.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just been taking out the ones with S mint marks and silver bicentennials besides ones from 1970 and earlier... have never found a 1970 but have found 1969 and before.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
When I first started hunting I looked at every '74 hoping to find a DDO. Eventually I got tired of looking and now I just toss em back...just doesn't interest me. I still enjoy finding a good proof coin but lately I can't even find any of those, that's what's so depressing. Heck, I'd even take a clad commemorative (have never found any of those, although I've found 2 silver comms). Maybe I need to search nicks again and see if I can find a Buff, as I've never found one of those either.

Well that would explain it. The DDO is the Denver issue. Looking at Philly '74's would be the best use of time. No FG varieties? I've found a few, but I still have never found a 78-D No FG. It is one of the rarest of the No FG varieties. Still on the hunt for over 30 years. You have to challenge yourself to keep the hunt interesting. If you aren't up for the challenge, then a break might be necessary. When you return, you will be reinvigorated on your quest.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 74d DDOs are really common. I have found about 20 & hardly date search. Try to find a '72 DDO (half). I only have 1. Really tough & great doubling! Then there's the 1975...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread