PNC

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently opened an account at PNC because they have a branch near my house with a coin counter and I needed a dump bank. Well, I went to another PNC branch near my office with some halves to dump and discovered that the machine does not take halves. Apparently they were having problems with halves and dollars and recalibrated the machine to not take them. Has anyone else come across this at PNC? In PNC won't work as a dump bank, how are they as a source for coins?

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds a little fishy, did you actually try to put a half dollar in to see for sure if it doesn't accept them? sometimes banks say that for you not to dump halves in them.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not PNC, but the only two self-serve coin machines in my city got the halfs turned off too because of my two boxes a week, and whatever else one other guy was dumping. Now I just take in two boxes of dimes, 1 nickel and 2 penny. So, now instead of filling one bag a week, I fill two or three.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did try to put in a small amount of halves. The machine spun the halves around and was noisy. None of the halves dropped, but a small amount of pennies, dimes and nickels in my pocket dropped, so I know the machine works.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently opened an account at PNC because they have a branch near my house with a coin counter and I needed a dump bank. Well, I went to another PNC branch near my office with some halves to dump and discovered that the machine does not take halves. Apparently they were having problems with halves and dollars and recalibrated the machine to not take them. Has anyone else come across this at PNC? In PNC won't work as a dump bank, how are they as a source for coins?

I actually just started dumping halves at two PNC branches that have coin counters.. The machine really doesn't handle them well.. When it gets to the end of counting, it will never count the remaining last ten dollars of halves.. They just spin around.. I always stop the machine and just pull them out by hand.. The machine doesn't seem like the best quality, so I would assume that one day I am going to have to stop like PhattyB.. Either way.. I guess I will just have to work that out when the time comes.. Probably will have to start rolling them again..

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just opened an account with pnc also. Mine will take coins that you roll, sometimes they will count them but usually they will put them in a bag with your account number on it and send them out for counting. How much in rolls they will take I'm not sure but the one by me apparently has someone dumping alot of rolls with them that are marked no silver. It's a pain bc when I check if they got any halves, they always have this persons dump now and it's harder to discover none checked ones there.

Bowen89

Apr 3, 2012
South Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They DO accept halfs, BUT you have to mix in other coin with it and it will jam on occasion. They wont take halfs solely by itself

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pnc banned me after 300k+ in halves dumped between 2 branches lol! A corporate letter came and they refused me, so I went to anther branch a few miles away, same story and at a third branch about 12 miles away same thing. So I took my $ & went across the street and opened a new account at a different bank with two bags of coin ;)

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually just started dumping halves at two PNC branches that have coin counters.. The machine really doesn't handle them well.. When it gets to the end of counting, it will never count the remaining last ten dollars of halves.. They just spin around.. I always stop the machine and just pull them out by hand.. The machine doesn't seem like the best quality, so I would assume that one day I am going to have to stop like PhattyB.. Either way.. I guess I will just have to work that out when the time comes.. Probably will have to start rolling them again..
Must be the same machine they use at my local Wells Fargo cash vault. Can't count halves worth a damn.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
ye have run into it. some machines are just no good with halves, they can turn off to limit having to deal w it

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They always complainted about people dumping huge load of halves that jammed their machines. I guess they intentionally cut it off. Check out the machines at BB&T.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. Apparently this one branch, at least, made it so the machine won't take any halves. I guess I'll slip them some rolls here and there.

I've also been dumping halves in the coinstar machine at my supermarket. No fees are charged if I take a gift card for the supermarket rather than cash. This has its limits, since I only need so much in groceries, but it's working well for now.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I have noticed with pnc, is that I also have two other branches that don't have coin counters... When asking about coin lock bags, both branches told me "you don't want to do that.. It will take over a week to get out into your account." They told me to just bring them in rolled and they will deposit the money right away.. I know it takes a little longer, but since these machines are so horrible I figure I will have to utilize these branches for dumping soon anyway.. I would recommend just going into a branch and being honest with them.. Say you will be depositing large amounts of halves every week and want to find out the best way to do it so the money will be in your account right away.. Most head tellers will be cool and appreciate that you are taking the initiative to try and make their lives easier.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Went to another PNC branch to test their machine and it also would not work with halves. Made an awful noise like I broke it and then spit the half into the reject tray. I only had the one test roll with me, so after the machine was a no go I decided to see how the teller would react to a roll deposit. He opened the roll and counted the halves. Interesting thing is that he picked up one of the coins and looked at it closely beofre putting it back with the others. I may have a sniping teller on my hands.

People have said good things about ordering coins from PNC, so maybe I'll try them for that. They aren't working out well as a dump bank, at least not for machine dumping.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out yesterday that that charge is only in amounts over $25. Clearly targeted at the dumpers, but if you have just a couple of rolls and an account it is free.

OK they are going to be removing their machines really soon. $25 is just two and a half rolls of quarters. Who uses a coin counter to deposit pocket change?

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends on the PNC I have had some willing to order me coins, but from my experience, most of them demand a business account which sucks

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to another PNC branch that did not have counting machine and deposited some rolls of halves. The teller had no problem taking them but asked me if I knew what year they were. Looks like I found another sniping teller (I previously posted that a teller at another PNC branch opened a roll to count them and picked one coin up to look at closely). This is obviously not a PNC issue, it just so happened I was depositing at PNC branches, but it reinforce the idea that there are sniping tellers out there making our hobby harder!

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK they are going to be removing their machines really soon. $25 is just two and a half rolls of quarters. Who uses a coin counter to deposit pocket change?

I hope they do pull the coin counter out of the bank. Just think how many more CWR's will show up at the teller windows again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread