Mark coins with ink??

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha.. There are definitely a few who do that type of marking in my area.. Unless they are all your Markings.. Although I haven't seen any that write "not silver" on the obverse.. I think they are buffs marks..

I dump in DeWitt, Iowa. I mark two coins from every roll. Gotten 2 back in the past year.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mark about 10 coins every box just for the heck of it.. Still haven't gotten one back.. Used to do a lot more.. I am on a 9 box skunk streak right now.. Halves are def not what they used to be in my area.. I have currently worked my way up to 10 dime boxes a week just so I can get some silver flowing and not get bored.. Hopefully my two boxes coming in tomorrow will have something..

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As been said before in past posts mark the rolls, not the coins. You've already been warned by your bank, do you really want to chance getting banned or worse screwing it up for others in your area or possibly nationally? Maybe you've culled so much in a short time you don't feel the rules apply to you but if you get banned in your area maybe you'll understand the coinage system is not there for you to play art with. Because of the volume you're doing the amount of marked coins is getting out of hand. Personally if I was a bank manager if I caught you marking even one coin I'd cut you off, its unacceptable.

Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never marked coins but see some marked coins here and there. I haven't counted them, but they are rare enough that it doesn't tell me much about whether my coins have been searched. The coin marks I've seen are generally a vertical black line on the obverse. I've also seen some black marking on the edges, but it's hard to tell if it was caused by a CRH. I'm marking my white and yellow string rolls with lines in black ink (I usually run the pen up and down the roll a few times), in case anyone comes across them. That said, I haven't deposited a lot of rolled halves, but that might change soon given problems with the coin machine at my bank.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the years that I have been doing this, it has NEVER crossed my mind to mark a coin. I come across some very nice NIFC proofs that could easily be graded or grabbed by another collector/crh for their collection. Marking coins is childish and destructive in my eyes not to mention a great waste of time.

alligator69

Aug 31, 2012
FreedomUIC said:
In the years that I have been doing this, it has NEVER crossed my mind to mark a coin. I come across some very nice NIFC proofs that could easily be graded or grabbed by another collector/crh for their collection. Marking coins is childish and destructive in my eyes not to mention a great waste of time.

Exactly what you said. In addition marking coins doesnt help you track anything because you have no control over which coins you are going to get.

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:headbang:

Right on brother. I just mark me rolls and thats enough.

OP
OP
TimZim

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please stop getting all worked up i stoped marking for now. I just wanted to get your view on the ink thing. I could careless if you do or don't mark coins. It works for me! I think garda sent most of my painted coins out?? of my area. That would be about 1000.000.00 coins as far as i can tell. My painted coins are gone?? They might have sent them to the fed? I just know there not here anymore. They say it clogs up the big coin rollers. I do control what coins i get almost half of my dumps go to ac evey weekend thats 120 miles away. They don't come back. I know they were painted a color only used for ac. A odd color yellow.To day i found a half some one wrote NO MORE SILVER. why would you tell people about silver?? Please just take i hour and put your name or some thing else. Lets be honest you clad lovers just love clad. Am a silver hunter i take them dead or alive!!

OP
OP
TimZim

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking why mark coins at all i can bring them all to ac all $15.000 every weekend. Ok done deal!!!! Why did'nt i think of that befor??

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TimZim said:
I was just thinking why mark coins at all i can bring them all to ac all $15.000 every weekend. Ok done deal!!!! Why did'nt i think of that befor??

I cannot figure this out: what is "ac"?

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Marking coins doesnt really make much sense in my mind, aside from the novelty of seeing one of your dumps once again. Are you going to stop searching if you start seeing a lot of your dumps? Probably not. Are you going to change supply banks? Maybe, but with your volume, can you? In the end as long as the silver is still flowing it doesnt really matter. I can see 999 of my old clad in 1 box but as long there is that 1 silver keeper I am still happy. I guess I am just saying marking coins doesnt really benefit you in any way, but has the potential to piss off your supply resulting in a cut offs, and that risk is really not worth it at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread