OP
OP
TimZim

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No never silver! Some nut bag in my area uses silver and a wide black mark. What a dick!!

Bowen89

Apr 3, 2012
South Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever ink got on would never come off including hands shirts shoes floor face dog ect ect sounds too risky to me

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So paint is to thick i think am going to try ink in a spray bottle?? Is that ok clad lovers??:dontknow:

Tim.. I am in no way a "clad lover," but I really think you should lay off marking for awhile.. At least in the manner you are talking about doing.. Ink is obvious.. Regardless of whether it gunks up Garda's machine, it would still be extremely obvious that its you doing that kinda of mass marking on the coins.. They already know you and have already had a problem with you marking the coins.. Once again with the volume you do man I am sure they are just looking for a reason to cut you off. I would chill for awhile.. Just my two cents.. I think you will really regret it in the future..

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Your legacy isn't finished yet.
472321.jpg

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a Yugoslavian coin marked with ink (low value) that I couldn't get off. I guess you're not the first to come up with that idea.:)

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim, you got the bank in trouble for marking coins, why not simply get your coins, while checking for enders, mark each coin on the end with a big T, or a circle, and then open the roll? this will guarantee 50-100 coins per box for only 2 minutes of marking... and banks won't get mad! :)

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go ahead and do it, it will mean less competition for us as you will get the boot from the banks.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think buffalo is right.. We aren't saying not to mark your coins, but just do them in a way that's not so obvious.. You have to stay as discreet as possible, Just because of how much volume you do.. Just trying to help..

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Either:
1) You think you are going to buy ink, thin it to a viscosity that can be applied with a spray bottle, and repeat the mass marking experiment that you said you already learned all you could from (and that you allegedly planned to stop doing anyway).
-or-
2) You are trolling for attention via one of the hot buttons of the forum.

I wouldn't be very proud of myself in either of those cases.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still don't understand why people bother marking coins. Someone please explain. Thanks

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People mark coins, because it allows you to track where your dump coins are going.. Allowing you to attempt dumping in places where you won't be receiving them back.. From my experiences and I average about 4 boxes a week, it not worth my time.. I have yet to receive a half back.. Now if you are searching as much as Tim, who does more in a week then I do in two months, then I can see why.. I do think Tim is going a little overboard and bringing too much attention to himself, which might lead him to getting cut off .. If you do mark, you should attempt a simple way that will allow you to monitor , but also not have it noticed by the banks or suppliers..

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I still don't understand why people bother marking coins. Someone please explain. Thanks
If you are marking a lot, you could, in some very isolated instances, get some limited information about how your coins move after you dump. You won't know if they moved that way naturally, or if another hunter caused them to move that way.

If you mark a lot, you are definitely giving your competition more valuable information than you could possibly hope to get out of the deal. You are telling them that you are hunting upstream of them. A savvy hunter seeing a lot of marked coin and a dip in production will move more quickly than if he/she just sees a dip in production. You would be much better off keeping that hunter downstream of you rather than risking him/her moving into your supply stream.

As with anything that is complex, there are multiple theories. Ask yourself why you would decide to mark. If you are getting good results with your system, you obviously won't change that system based on seeing your mark. If you are having lousy results, you should change your system whether you see your mark or not.

CRH'er dumps are what stir the pot and allow the public's dumps (the pay dirt) to enter the stream. You are searching dumps every time you search. They are either yours or someone else's. Plan your strategy by results. Don't tip your hand to the competition.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Paint the edges silver and write NOT SILVER on the obverse. Pisses others off and gets them off your turf.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MrSchulz said:
Paint the edges silver and write NOT SILVER on the obverse. Pisses others off and gets them off your turf.

Haha.. There are definitely a few who do that type of marking in my area.. Unless they are all your Markings.. Although I haven't seen any that write "not silver" on the obverse.. I think they are buffs marks..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread