Ikes?

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any tips on what to look for with Ikes? The only thing I've been able to find since my last post (here) is a couple hundred in Ikes. I know about the '72 variants, but are there any others worth anything?

I also set up an account at a local CU that has multiple branches, all with coin counters, and which will allow me to buy the bags, so hopefully I can get a decent pickup this weekend.

Upvote 0

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some knowledge of Ikes. There were NO Ikes that contain silver made for general circulation. The only silver Ikes are 40% and consist of the following:
1971-1974 what are called Brown Ikes that come in a brown box encased in plastic like some of the GSA Morgan silver dollars. These are all proof coins and often show some hazing from the plastic they were encased in.
1971-1974 Blue Ikes. Uncirculated coins of 40% silver sealed in plastic or mylar.
1776-1976 Bicentennial proof sets of an Ike, quarter and half dollar, all 40% silver and comes in a little book like holder and all coins are sealed in plastic capsules.
1776-1976 uncirculated bicentennial sets in a red envelope sealed in plastic or mylar, same 3 coins, all 40% silver.

All other Ikes are clad.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keemao said:
I have some knowledge of Ikes. There were NO Ikes that contain silver made for general circulation. The only silver Ikes are 40% and consist of the following:
1971-1974 what are called Brown Ikes that come in a brown box encased in plastic like some of the GSA Morgan silver dollars. These are all proof coins and often show some hazing from the plastic they were encased in.
1971-1974 Blue Ikes. Uncirculated coins of 40% silver sealed in plastic or mylar.
1776-1976 Bicentennial proof sets of an Ike, quarter and half dollar, all 40% silver and comes in a little book like holder and all coins are sealed in plastic capsules.
1776-1976 uncirculated bicentennial sets in a red envelope sealed in plastic or mylar, same 3 coins, all 40% silver.

All other Ikes are clad.

I have a 72, 73 and 76 silver found CRHing. I guess it's like finding a proof!

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody said the Ike's were silver. Point was being made that even thought there circulated clad. They still carry a small premium.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy said:
Nobody said the Ike's were silver. Point was being made that even thought there circulated clad. They still carry a small premium.

I was only comparing it to finding a proof. It is quite clear that there are indeed silver Ike's.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
At the very least if they buy them at face its an additional place to dump some clad :headbang:

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, kevin, you are such an F-ing anarchist, I love it! Question for you is how the hell do you dump those Ikes?

Also, is it true that when children loose their teeth and leave it under their pillows as they sleep, Ben Bernanke comes and sprinkles fairy dusty on them and then punches them in the face?

Yep - He calls it quantitative easing. Sicko.

Oh, and if you think a 25% markup is nice, check this listing:HUGE IKE DOLLAR HOARD - EISENHOWER $ COIN LOT | eBay

People do know they can buy these for face value if they look hard enough, right? Seriously, who needs regular clad Ikes this bad??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread