Coin Roll Hunting Styles, Techniques and Pitfalls

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been around the CRH scene for a few months now, and have been a lurker of the scene since 2009. In that time, I have noticed there are a few different techniques that the pros use to get silver, and some pitfalls to them. I will list what I see, and feel free to post yours.

1. High volume halves boxes- putting in big money consistently to get big payouts. This technique has the biggest chances for big silver, but you will need to dump lots of weight on a constant basis and uses a lot of time and money to cycle through this process.

2. Customer wrapped nickels, dimes, quarters, halves- buying any and all customer wrapped coins. You have a higher risk of getting shorted, or given foreign coins, but also a higher chance of getting silver.

3. Teller tray hunting- Asking tellers at the bank for their silver in (or under) their tray. The teller often don't have silver, or won't tell you if they do. They might be silver snipers as well, or you might be given some amazing coin finds.

4. Reject tray hunting- when dumping your coin roll hunting finds, searching the reject tray thoroughly for silver coins and other finds. It may be difficult if not impossible to get to the tube behind the reject tray where coins often get stuck, or your bank's tray may not enable you access to this, but plenty of silver and other amazing finds can be discovered this way.

5. High volume dimes boxes- same as halves, but with dimes instead. Dimes are more likely to get registered as pennies in coin counters, but are easy to search and will not fill up the coin counter as easily as half dollars.

6. Gas stations/ liquor stores/ grocery stores- are also great places to ask for "fake coins" or "old coins." These people might keep the silver for themselves, but you also might make a great score.

7. Vending machine hunting- is a practice that is often frowned upon by the community, but has shown to produce some silver for people. Taking a business' coins from their vending machine robs that business of their ability to conduct business.

8. Pay phone hunting- although pay phones are becoming obsolete, many still use them, including elderly types that have older coins. The results of this technique are unclear.

9. Coin bag hunting dimes/halves/quarters- when your bank lets you buy bags of coins from their coin counters, you might be able to snag up a lot of great finds.

Please add on with your comments and opinions!

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do clean up jobs and find good stuff all the time. One time a old lady paid me to take away trash and i found $650 in gold. There is good money in trash i save scrap metal all kinds.

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
#9 has a stellar track record with me so far, hehe - 1 $485 half-dollar bag sorted, over a roll of 40% and 1 90% Kennedy culled. I was shorted $10, but luckily I was more than remunerated in silver :)

yankeesfan4life

May 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I have found coins in payphones(though not silver) as well as parking meters. Check those parking meters!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread