I stopped by two banks on either side of the same street one had halves one did not

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the fact that one bank on one side of the street had a few halves and another bank on the other side of the street did not. What is strange is one of the banks said we never get halves, I have not seen one since I started at this branch. I stopped by there because there is a big retirement home near by and this Wells Fargo. Being so close with such a crappy economy I thought some of the retired folks might have need some quick cash and cashed out some halves or even old dollars. The Chase just down the street had some and the Capital One did but someone had recently picked up the few they had. They have a coin counter near the front door and do not get many halves at the tellers, they told me.

So what do you think the teller a Wells Fargo is trying to throw me off the sent or what?

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...or one of those retired folks cleaned that WF out. Happens to me all the time, one bank has none. They might be messing with me, might not. No way to really know.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know.

One of my dump banks told me there was a guy coming in asking for lots of half dollars a few times a week, but wouldn't take the ones I was dropping off. I told them they needed to tell him it was a bunch of rolls that a little old lady brought in; they told him and he took all of them from the vault; hasn't been back since. :laughing7:

vetarun

Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed the same thing and was going to post about it. Some banks say we never get them and ones across the street always do. I think they have members that they save them for. I don't know.

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know.

One of my dump banks told me there was a guy coming in asking for lots of half dollars a few times a week, but wouldn't take the ones I was dropping off. I told them they needed to tell him it was a bunch of rolls that a little old lady brought in; they told him and he took all of them from the vault; hasn't been back since. :laughing7:

I cannot believe it I was so excited I just new I had found the motherload when that teller told me an old lady brought in all those rolls.

lambo1

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot believe it I was so excited I just new I had found the motherload when that teller told me an old lady brought in all those rolls.

before you received the old lady counter intel, how did you know that the rolls were dmped rolls? If its a joke then I get it. but In general, how can you tell if rolls are dmped coin rather than good coin? Yep you guessed it I'm new here. Thanks guys

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lambo1 said:
before you received the old lady counter intel, how did you know that the rolls were dmped rolls? If its a joke then I get it. but In general, how can you tell if rolls are dmped coin rather than good coin? Yep you guessed it I'm new here. Thanks guys

Well if you see black lines or x's on the wrappers they are probably dumps.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I would worry about buying the coin counter bags. I don't know of many guys who take the time to rewrap a whole box of halves. I buy all the customer wrapped coins at a couple banks. I am willing to take the time to check them out. The reward is worth the risk in my opinion. Last night I spent $280 in CWC and pulled a lonely '67 out. I think it's more exciting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread