What is the deal with being so secretive about CRHing anyway?

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's face it, it is a tedious hobby that is not for the weak of heart. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and I will COINtinue to CRH, but for me, personally, it is intensive. If you are serious about silver, you are dedicating time and energy to finding it (of course, making the occasional dream find that makes it all worth it), but I don't see why people are threatened by revealing the hobby. Most people that know I CRH, even when they do see me make a decent find, are amused, but don't go and CRH. Sure, maybe you might create some competition, but I think spreading the knowledge of silver and it's value is good karma, as it makes people think about intrinsic value, and opens their eyes to some truth about sound money, but back to the point. Most people don't want to dedicate their time to this hobby, only a select few. Sure, educating tellers means you might not get silver from them, but it also might mean they will give you more silver. I have tellers that know about silver give me coins fairly often, and they know the intrinsic value as well, not just "I know its worth a lot." So I just feel like it is not the biggest deal to be truthful and informative to bankers. Just my 2 Lincolns...

Upvote 0

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's you cookie, now go away

image.jpg

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anybody know what “business” Death&Taxes is doing? Apparently he’s not saying.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody know what “business” Death&Taxes is doing? Apparently he’s not saying.

From what he says in his posts, he is a "retail" seller on ebay and a wholesale seller to LCS.

He doesn't say exactly what he sells, but the list of possibles is long enough that it isn't immediately obvious. Some possibles are Varieties and Errors (ie WAMs, small dates, No-FG, doubleds, CUDs/Chips, Die Cracks, Struck-Thru, Clips, Rotated, etc). There are some readily-findable and well known cent varieties that sell and there are a lot of die issues with modern quarters (cuds, chips, and cracks) that might sell.

The gist of it is that it takes time and effort to learn what there is a market for and then aligning that market with what can readily be found at face value. If that element of "work" is something that you enjoy, you can parlay your hobby efforts. If that element of work ruins the hobby experience for you, then it's just work. If your biggest thrill from the hobby is net monetary gain, I don't doubt at all that DnT's method is the way to go and, AFAIC, there's nothing wrong with that.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a guess, but it is only a guess. However, I am not saying either in case I should decide to try doing what my guess is some day. If my original guess is wrong, I so have a few secondary guesses as well. The only thing I'll say is something he already said and that is he worked in a coin shop for a couple years and has knowledge of what to sell and whom to sell it to. Industry knowledge of those items greatly enhances your chances of success.

If my guess is correct, and lots of people started doing it, I can't see it being sustainable.

If it was purely hobby related, I would have no problem sharing, but with "business" concepts that have a limited market and no barrier to entry I have learned the hard way that I need to keep my mouth shut if I ever want to think about trying them myself.

If you are trying to find ways to make a "business" out of your hobby, I would suggest doing your own research and possibly even thinking outside of the box. You may come up with the same concept or you may come up find a new niche that is completely different. The key factor in any business is to buy/find/produce items that others want to purchase that you can make money on. Whether the amount of profit for time/money invested is enough to make it worth your while, that is a separate question completely as everyone values their time differently.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fair enough Gman, thanks for your reply!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread