What is the deal with being so secretive about CRHing anyway?

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's face it, it is a tedious hobby that is not for the weak of heart. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and I will COINtinue to CRH, but for me, personally, it is intensive. If you are serious about silver, you are dedicating time and energy to finding it (of course, making the occasional dream find that makes it all worth it), but I don't see why people are threatened by revealing the hobby. Most people that know I CRH, even when they do see me make a decent find, are amused, but don't go and CRH. Sure, maybe you might create some competition, but I think spreading the knowledge of silver and it's value is good karma, as it makes people think about intrinsic value, and opens their eyes to some truth about sound money, but back to the point. Most people don't want to dedicate their time to this hobby, only a select few. Sure, educating tellers means you might not get silver from them, but it also might mean they will give you more silver. I have tellers that know about silver give me coins fairly often, and they know the intrinsic value as well, not just "I know its worth a lot." So I just feel like it is not the biggest deal to be truthful and informative to bankers. Just my 2 Lincolns...

Upvote 0

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I don't advertise too much mostly because I don't want someone to get ideas and try to break into my house....

But most of my close friends and family know I CRH. None of then have jumped on the bandwagon yet. Most people don't have the time or interest required.

HH

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
Essentially, I don't want to create another "me" in my area lol. No one in my area CRHs on a large scale like I do. I know this because of my relationship with my tellers (I quiz them frequently) and the fact that no one else dumps large amounts of halves into the machines here. I only care about the halves, and if someone else began doing large amounts of halves here, I would be afraid of the pressure it would put on my dump banks/ machines. Additionally, I'm a greedy sob, and want it all for myself ha!

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having multiple CRHs in an area dilutes the counter bags. If I'm taking the time to check 4000 coins I want the odds to be in my favor. I don't want to sift through someone else's dumps.
I don't advertise too much mostly because I don't want someone to get ideas and try to break into my house....
HH
There is the risk of having thousands of dollars in your pocket, car, or in your bags. Advertising this to the world is dangerous to your well being and to your bankroll.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having multiple CRHs in an area dilutes the counter bags. If I'm taking the time to check 4000 coins I want the odds to be in my favor. I don't want to sift through someone else's dumps. There is the risk of having thousands of dollars in your pocket, car, or in your bags. Advertising this to the world is dangerous to your well being and to your bankroll.

I get the multiple CRH argument, but seriously, few and far between. As for the carrying thousands, It is a bank after all, anybody walking in or out may or may not have thousands. When I see people with bags of coin, I am not thinking they are big money.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
As mentioned above, it comes down to personal security. Tellers love to gossip. They'll be flapping their gums in the checkout at Publix, hair salon, etc. Many people are oblivious to the world around them. I've seen hunters nonchalantly carry their boxes to their car as if they are boastful in their efforts of carrying lots of cash. Stupid. These same people often go straight home.

I've advocated in the past for hunters to break up their routine. Mix-up their pick-up/dump days. Perhaps skip a week. Avoid the same route home. Etc. Be alert - stay alive; if you don't, you may die. People die every day for lesser amounts - don't be one of them.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main competitive concern as I see it is turning the teller into a CRH. I'm less worried about others taking up the hobby. If the tellers are clued in (and I think many of them are by now), they will use their advantageous position to grab the silver for themselves, whether it comes directly into their hands from a customer or whether they scour the vault and other tellers. If you clue in tellers at a branch that is not a dump bank, you have potentially ruined that branch as a source for MWRs, CWRs and loose coins (I assume you could still order boxes that the teller won't go through).

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before Silver hit $40.00 an oz a year or so ago, there were posts from just about everyone averaging 10 - 20 half dollars per box and funny thing is it was a 50/50 split between 90% and 40%.
Prior to that year when silver was in the $18 - $20 dollar range, boxes would be loaded. Check out some posts from a couple of years ago and you will see that comparing then with now
the finds are almost gone compared to the volume searched then versus now.

If TimZim did the volume two years ago that he is doing today he would have easily reached his 1,000 oz goal, probably by mid May or a little earlier than that. CNC did alot of volume and
his posts(If you care to research) will give you an idea of what it used to be like. Look up some of Rich's posts, you will be amazed.

If you tell five people about CRH and they in turn tell five people each and those five tell five people each you are already at 125 people that are new to CRH. Post about it on You-Tube and
you now have exposure to literally millions of people that could take up this hobby. Sadly I believe that this hobby may have another year or two at the most, before it is gone for good. You
will probably always get CWR but ordering boxes from banks will cease to exist. The banks are tired of dealing with people who are rude, demanding and demeaning and down right obnoxious at
times. If you don't think it is happening, look at the majority of the posts that are appearing on this board now. If that doesn't open your eyes then you need to see a doctor.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clip... Sadly I believe that this hobby may have another year or two at the most, before it is gone for good. You
will probably always get CWR but ordering boxes from banks will cease to exist.

I think that you're right. I didn't know anything about CRH'ing and tried to buy just $10 worth (for coin magic) and it was a real hassle just to get a single roll. But, when I did get that roll it contained a 1968 Kennedy. That got me excited about the possibility of finding more, but since then I've only bought one other roll (no silver). I could probably order boxes upon boxes but I like to treat CRH like scratch tickets. Every once and awhile I might try my luck at $10 worth...

good luck with your hunting,
cc

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe what Freedom says (without going back to read the old posts). Precious metals are all over the internet, radio, etc. I'm one of those folks that came to CRHing only recently, after seeing one of the YouTube videos that others here may curse (I don't know what the Youtube poster gets out of it). I've been collecting silver coins for quite a while, but it never occurred to me to look at banks until recently. I wish I got into this earlier (way earlier), but it is what it is.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But most of my close friends and family know I CRH. None of then have jumped on the bandwagon yet. Most people don't have the time or interest required.

HH

Getting robbed sucks. I tend to keep quite, unless my family or best friends are around.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned above, it comes down to personal security. Tellers love to gossip. They'll be flapping their gums in the checkout at Publix, hair salon, etc. Many people are oblivious to the world around them. I've seen hunters nonchalantly carry their boxes to their car as if they are boastful in their efforts of carrying lots of cash. Stupid. These same people often go straight home.

I've advocated in the past for hunters to break up their routine. Mix-up their pick-up/dump days. Perhaps skip a week. Avoid the same route home. Etc. Be alert - stay alive; if you don't, you may die. People die every day for lesser amounts - don't be one of them.

Food for thought. Thanks for posting this. I do know how to spot a tail and have not noticed anything as of yet. I have noticed other merchants walk out with 5 (sometimes 6) figures in their large cash bags, and have not heard of any of them getting robbed in the parking lot. What I have personally worried about some idiot thinking I am carrying gold to the car, that would make it worth the hit. I do agree, cautious wins the day.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been collecting silver coins for quite a while, but it never occurred to me to look at banks until recently. I wish I got into this earlier (way earlier), but it is what it is.

And that is the issue we are currently facing. I would hap-hazard a guess that 99% of the population never equated "Precious Metals" to half dollars/quarters/dimes in a bank, they always thought about rounds/bricks/old Coins that haven't circulated in years and are in plastic tombs with a funny number assigned to the coin. By word of mouth/internet/advertising, EVERYBODY and their
brother knows about silver, especially all the older tellers who already knew and the youngsters that are taking their place now as they retire. Like I said, in less than two years this hobby
will be gone as we know it. jrf has already hit 100 straight skunk boxes in his area. I remember his experiement where he did 80 boxes in one fell swoop and nothing to show for it. I would expect
that TimZim's finds will start slowly decreasing over time. Look at his first posts and compare them to how he is doing "Post Marking", his fines are slowly decreasing and will continue to do so as
more and more hunters join the party.

Loose lips sink ships and this ship is taking on water as we speak.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I talk to my co-workers about finding weird coins and all and tell them I will buy them from the tills so their tills won't be off, then I buy it out of my own till so mine won't be off. In the past it has been everything from a canadian toonie to mexican money. Just the other day a co-worker came to me wondering about her 1989 50 cent piece. I looked at her and told her it was worth only face value. She told me about a 1879 US coin that her fiance had given her for lunch money. I gasped and told her right away not to use it. I pulled out a 1900 morgan and a larger SE and asked her which one it looked like. She wasn't totally sure and pointed to the Morgan. I told her if it was what I was thinking it could be worth at least 40-50 dollars. She's bringing it in thursday. If its what I am thinking, I plan on buying it from her. she was thinking about taking it to a pawn shop. I told her that they ain't a coin shop and would try to rip her off, something I wouldn't do.

But I have just gotten into CRH and I still talk to my co-workers about coins in general. No one in all 30 cashiers are even interested in it. I have known these ladies and guys for years and would know. I can never understand the whole CRH secretness either. I won't be able to buy $1000 boxes of halves like the highend gamers do and that's fine by me. A couple of coins every few boxes is ok. It's the hunt more than the prize that I like, though don't get me wrong, finding a walker or kennedy once in a while would be nice. I use it as a form of therapy against late night eatting. The CRHrs diet to a thinner you! LOL =) so far I've lost 10 pounds. Not bad in two weeks.

I just ordered my first box of halves. Now I just have to wait for it to come in. :;rubs hands together:: I can't wait. My 13 year old neice is coming over next weekend. she'll help auntie go through them. hahaha.

Smiles and Hugs,
Garoulady

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that is the issue we are currently facing. I would hap-hazard a guess that 99% of the population never equated "Precious Metals" to half dollars/quarters/dimes in a bank, they always thought about rounds/bricks/old Coins that haven't circulated in years and are in plastic tombs with a funny number assigned to the coin. By word of mouth/internet/advertising, EVERYBODY and their
brother knows about silver, especially all the older tellers who already knew and the youngsters that are taking their place now as they retire. Like I said, in less than two years this hobby
will be gone as we know it. jrf has already hit 100 straight skunk boxes in his area. I remember his experiement where he did 80 boxes in one fell swoop and nothing to show for it. I would expect
that TimZim's finds will start slowly decreasing over time. Look at his first posts and compare them to how he is doing "Post Marking", his fines are slowly decreasing and will continue to do so as
more and more hunters join the party.

Loose lips sink ships and this ship is taking on water as we speak.

I completely agree. We CRHs will soon join the list of extinct species in a few years. I was introduced to CRH by a youtube video so I have mixed feelings about it. It is not a hobby for everyone, most people will find it tedious or boring but even if a few people join the hobby in a small town you can easily get the banks to prohibited ordering boxes or dumping coins. This happened to me in two banks of America here in Miami, too many people asking for boxes and we are a big city. There are a finite number of silver coins left out there, the more people that join the less you will find. I believe that at least 90% of the silver half dollars that were in circulation are already being in CRHs hands. From time to time you find a nice box here and there but the amount is going down by the day at least in regards of half dollars don't know about dimes etc.
[h=1][/h]

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe what Freedom says (without going back to read the old posts). Precious metals are all over the internet, radio, etc. I'm one of those folks that came to CRHing only recently, after seeing one of the YouTube videos that others here may curse (I don't know what the Youtube poster gets out of it). I've been collecting silver coins for quite a while, but it never occurred to me to look at banks until recently. I wish I got into this earlier (way earlier), but it is what it is.

I love those videos. If I can't find silver, i am esctastic that at least someone out there is finding it. Like winning the lottery. As long its not a millionaire winning it, I am happy someone is finding it. I check those videos every week to see what people are finding. I don't know where they live and who they are, which is perfectly fine with me and I prefer it that way, I just want a scope of whats being found in what boxes. If people are finding alot of halves, I go to dimes. If dimes I go back to halves.

Love and Peace,
May ya find silver at the end of the rainbow,
-Garoulady

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pertinent story-

Just this morning I was able to make some cold calls on banks in the area, one of them had $350 in rolled halves that someone just brought in. I went over there and bought them, they were obviously re wrapped machine rolls. I bought them anyway because the older teller seemed pissed the guy dumped them on her. Anyways...I got home to find that only 2 of the rolls were searched, the rest were intact, and one roll gave up a 65. Some people order a box and go through half of it, when they fail to find anything the dump the coin. Its only obsessive compulsive freaks like us who will go through box after box in hopes of finding some silver. What keeps me going are the big scores that happen once in a while. Some people can not envision this happening, so they quit.

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree.
i disagree. Theres still alot of baby boomers out there dying leaving bags, rolls, drawers, etc full of silver coinage that thier kids are to stupid to know what it is. Thats went down a little with the estate sale companies but as a rule if it goes into someones hand one days its got to come out cause no one takes it to the other side. There will also be silver in circulation, even if the big boy MWR companies cull because there will always be CWRs. Will the ratio be good enough to warrant it? Thats a personal opinion but chances are the ratios might be much lower but still there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread