Filing a complaint with the CFPB gets your US BANK account Terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau about a month ago with issues I ran into at a US Bank branch. After about a month, I finally was contacted and this is what I was told:

2.png 3.png
1.png

This is what I wrote to the CFPB:
(I left some out for Privacy Reasons)
sent.png

So for filing a complaint about being charged for money, I get my account suspended. Also an FYI, I did return coins there after they started to charge me, but did not dump when I was having them as a pickup bank. Also the mention of $300 4 -6 times a month is completely false as I do not travel there that often in a month. Also asking if the box was brand new coins and trading in for others that weren't brand new is true, however the teller had told me in advance they were new and I asked if I could get circulated and if they didn't have them that was fine. The bank obviously knew what was going on, and only than did I decide to dump on them after being charged $.15 a roll for Cents or nickels (before I started halves).

I had my Father talk to a Branch Manager he knows well and she is going to get back to him. From what she describes it is very unlikely my account could be prevented from being terminated, even if I did not use them for coins. I have not been to this bank branch since August, and just now they are choosing to do this. I have been cashing in amounts of coins, once or twice a week, at a different branch under my account and expierenced no issues.

Currently awaiting response from the Branch Manager regarding this. I will still use US Bank as my Dump bank as my Father is an account holder and the bank I cash in at takes dumps from another CRHer too.

This is what America is coming to. We bail the banks out yet they can't trade paper for coins. I plan to take $1000.00 (YES ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS) of Brand new 2012 Pennies to this branch directly to the teller who started all of this, and pay my $1 fee and show her my appreciation.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
wow

just

wow

MrSchulz are you a teen too?

Yes I am. Turning 16 in 3 weeks. Been a customer with them for almost a year and this?!

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...i dont think you actually bail the banks out...since u paid no tax..

just kidding!

after reading all 4 pictures, I found that you werent making concrete strong points in your complaint letter, and from what you said, I think if you received new boxes you should just deposit them in another branch/bank and never to request exchange for others on the spot. But if you already asked them beforehand for circulated ones if possible then the bank needs to get it straight....

Someone in this branch obviously did not like you and elevated this up when you decided to complain, well I guess its live and learn my friend.

Time to move on and ditch the unpleasantrys.

Last edited:

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You broke a tenant of roll searching, you pay...

Don't dump where you eat. :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is America, please point out where in our Constitution or our Bill of Rights where it says our banks are required to give hobbies free or discounted service so people can coin roll hunt just because they have a personal account at the bank

alligator69

Aug 31, 2012
Treasure_Hunter said:
This is America, please point out where in our Constitution or our Bill of Rights where it says our banks are required to give hobbies free or discounted service so people can coin roll hunt just because they have a personal account at the bank

What this man/woman said. You should be grateful that they allowed this at all. Just open an account with another bank. Problem solved.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What this man/woman said. You should be grateful that they allowed this at all. Just open an account with another bank. Problem solved.

All man here, not a woman, but my wife is....LOL

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
inconspicuous [ˌɪnkənˈspɪkjʊəs] adj: not easily noticed or seen; not prominent or striking

In the future, at another bank, if you ask for a box, and they deliver you a box, just smile, say thanks and leave. Wait until you get into the car, or get home, to open it and see what you got. Lame box of new coins? Re-wrapped dumps...? Welcome to the club. Go somewhere else to dump them. Rinse / repeat.

Opening boxes or rolls at the counter and asking for replacements...? Even if you told them ahead of time, this is just improper CRH etiquette. Kinda like sitting in the bank lobby going through the box. We are all fortunate to be able to order boxes, and dump without fees. This, however, usually requires a bit of grace and subtle diplomacy. (Eminem is the exclusion to this rule).

Experience comes from making mistakes. Learn from them. This is not what America has come to. You are not entitled to be a PITA (in the eyes of the bank) merely because you have an account. They reserve the right to close your account for any reason. Seems you gave them a few reasons. Be a rebel and dump all the cents you want on them. Pay your fee. I doubt this will cause anyone at the branch any inconvenience, and just might turn any sympathetic tellers against you.

I lived in Okinawa for a year, courtesy of the U.S. government. Learned a Japanese proverb: deru kugi ha utareru – ‘the nail that sticks out gets hammered down’. Don't be that nail. U-S-A ! U-S-A ! Good luck, and HH...!

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE:

They are terminating my fathers account too when he had nothing to do with this as all coin was ran through my account.

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

It does not say anywhere in the constitution we are entitled to a free hobby. It's the fact of waiting until after I filed a complaint to do this.

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Change banks

It's past the point of "just changing banks". I really didn't care how it affected me, but they are pulling this on my dad when he was not involved and nothing was ran though his account is completely wrong. I know they can close the account whenever they want its just... ugh.

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fourth paragraph is the killer of your mistakes. You can't waste their time by allowing you to search the coins at the counter and then exchanging them for rolls that you prefer.

I'm surprised you didn't ask to sit at a desk and have them serve you coins while you searched through all the coins in the bank. Or maybe you did.

In this hobby you must take the good with the bad ... and most of the time it is bad.

You must take into consideration that banks are businesses and our hobby is not making them money in any way whatsoever. So we have to restrict our actions to the minimum amount of disruption possible.

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The fourth paragraph is the killer of your mistakes. You can't waste their time by allowing you to search the coins at the counter and then exchanging them for rolls that you prefer.

I'm surprised you didn't ask to sit at a desk and have them serve you coins while you searched through all the coins in the bank. Or maybe you did.

In this hobby you must take the good with the bad ... and most of the time it is bad.

You must take into consideration that banks are businesses and our hobby is not making them money in any way whatsoever. So we have to restrict our actions to the minimum amount of disruption possible.

I DID NOT search them at the counter or at the bank. The teller stated they were all brand new coins, and I asked if they had circulated ones (same as asking for CWR's) and she said they had none. It's simple as that, I didn't go and open the rolls at the tellers desk.

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't file a complaint next time...? They determined that you and your hobby were costing them money. It was conspicuous to the bank that you are a coin roll hunter. They told you to pay to play. Should have left it at that and gone somewhere else... I think filing a complaint was the nail in the coffin. Lame that your dad is dragged into it, though. Collateral damage, unfortunately.

Yes, filing a complaint, which you have a "right" to do, can have negative or unintended consequences. What did you think was going to happen? Don't you think the people at the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau have a background in banking and/or finance....? Just reading the bank's position on the matter (some of which you dispute) would make me want to close your account, too. Tread carefully, young CRH warrior...! HH

Last edited:

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I DID NOT search them at the counter or at the bank. The teller stated they were all brand new coins, and I asked if they had circulated ones (same as asking for CWR's) and she said they had none. It's simple as that, I didn't go and open the rolls at the tellers desk.

Apparently when you complained, they went back to the branch to investigate and the teller divulged this info, so apparently your actions from many months before were memorable to her and not as innocuous as you believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread