Transporting boxed coins

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, newbie question here,

I am about to get my first box of halves and I was beginning to worry since the box is really heavy and bulky and I am not as strong as I would love to be. Also it's one thing to carry a box of nickels quite another to carry a box of halves. I am wondering from the bank to the credit union how are other CRHrs transporting their boxes. I was thinking maybe dufflebag or luggage but that would make more than a couple of people's interest perk up. Any help would be appreciated.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Upvote 0

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you do...don't utilize an entourage of black-trenched hired hands to help haul your load. There's no telling what might transpire...

cheers,
cc

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
well nothing screams easy prey than watching someone carry out a big box of coins, something I really, really, don't want to advertise. Hence why I am asking for advice from some of the more seasoned CRHrs. Luckily where I am going, it is a small parking lot, like only 6 spaces and I think I can do a quick in and out to my car.

On a good note, I have at least 6 different ways I can get home, 12 if I take the long way home by taking dirt roads. So yeah on that part of the problem.

Hugs and smiles,
Garoulady

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I was embarrased to ask for CRW's the first time... so I took my duffel bag in, and handed the teller a note. "Please give me all your CRW's". Talk about over-reaction...! Geez.
The above post was a joke. It did not really happen. I have never approached a teller with a note. I do NOT know what a dye-pack is. Bank robbery is wrong, kids...!

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well nothing screams easy prey than watching someone carry out a big box of coins, something I really, really, don't want to advertise. Hence why I am asking for advice from some of the more seasoned CRHrs. Luckily where I am going, it is a small parking lot, like only 6 spaces and I think I can do a quick in and out to my car.

On a good note, I have at least 6 different ways I can get home, 12 if I take the long way home by taking dirt roads. So yeah on that part of the problem.

Hugs and smiles,
Garoulady

Looks like you've put some thought into all this, which is good! I'm banking on you finding a workable solution. I wouldn't worry too much about the trip to the car. A box (heck even a roll) is heavy enough to cause damage to any perps, even if all you do is drop it on their feet...

peace,
cc

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use this cart, but it's gone up in price a lot recently... you can get one at a hardware store cheaper.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a folding hand cart from hd or sears for under $30 i carry 4 boxes at a time its allmost 100lbs now i use a hand cart most of the time.

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
The long, flat, single stack half dollar box is approximately 13 1/2" long, 2 1/4" high and 6 1/2" wide. Don' t have the dimension for the cube-looking double stack box.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a padded backpack for my pickup which is two boxes plus whatever CWRs are available. I dump using the black canvas tool bag from harbor freight. 11" Tool Bag

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuck box under left arm, walk out door with hand in pocket where car keys are(and a nice hide-away). Be aware of your surroundings, when you get to the car take your hand off the hide-away and
grab your keys.

That easy.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet! I actually found 2 bags on amazon. One I can use for transporting coins and the other really nice one I will use as a BOB (bug/out/bag). Thanks CurlysGold for the link and idea. the tool bag gave me a ton of different ideas and I get free shipping through amazon. Not bad.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry 4 boxes at a time and make 2 trips. Yes they are heavy but it's easier to me than using a cart.
One time they insisted on wheeling them out in a chair so I did not have to carry them. Weird.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Four boxes of halves or four boxes mixed? I haven't found a bank that will let me order more than two boxes.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are some collapsible carts you can buy online or at a local freight store like northern hydraulic, I don't have the links hand but they have been posted here before. Or just ask the merchant teller to borrow one of their carts, I do that sometimes if I am dumping more than 6 bags at a time.

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use a folding hand truck and wheel the boxes in. Nobody pays attention to me. And I spread out where I return them so not to drive the people at my regular bank crazy. And lately the boxes have literally sucked big time. Lots of new 2000 halves and only 1 or 2 40% for 4 boxes.

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four boxes of halves or four boxes mixed? I haven't found a bank that will let me order more than two boxes.
4 boxes of halves at a time (8 per pick-up), it's tuff to open the car door I need one of those fancy cars that you push a button and it pops the trunk for you. Or the new one where you waive your foot underneath the trunk and it opens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread