CC Hunters CRH Log

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC Hunter's CRH Log

Thought I would add one more log to the site in case folks want to see how another CRHer is doing. I'm admittedly a low-volume CRHer of halves. I'll check my change, coin machine reject trays, etc. for other coins worth keeping, but my efforts have been focused on halves. I just started this a little over a month ago, although I've collected coins for much longer.

Here are my results:

Type Amount # Coins 40% 90% Total Ag
Box $500 1000 0 0 0
Loose $2 4 0 0 0
Loose $4 8 0 1 1
Loose $2.50 5 0 0 0
MWR $30 60 0 0 0
Box $500 1000 0 1 1
Loose $0.50 1 0 0 0
MWR $30 60 0 0 0
Loose $6.50 13 0 0 0
MWR $10 20 0 0 0

Totals $1,085 2171 0 2 2

So, two '64 Kennedys to show for my efforts so far. I'm picking up another box this Friday from a different bank. The boxes seem like a lot of effort for little gain these days, so I may focus more on halves that banks have on hand (MWR, CWR, loose); we'll see.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The formatting went out when I posted the table. I'll try to fix it later.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be easier than the table:

Boxes: 2 $500 boxes searched, 1 90% Kennedy half found
MWRs: 7 $10 rolls searched, all skunks
Loose teller halves: $15.50 searched, 1 90% Kennedy half found

Total of $1,085.50 searched, 2 90% Kennedy halves found.

I'm not counting the halves I kept to fill out an album, including some NIFCs and a 1976 clad proof.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! 90%s are great, you can make $12 on them compared to $4.50 on 40%s, so they are almost three times as valuable.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a new box of halves on Friday and went through it over the weekend. Results: four 4 40% halves, plus two clad proofs ('87 and '03) and at least one NIFC I didn't previously have.

My previous totals omitted a box (a skunk I was trying to forget about, no doubt). Here's the updated silver total reflecting the missed box and Friday's box:

Boxes: 4 $500 boxes searched, 1 90% Kennedy and 4 40% kennedy halves found
MWRs: 7 $10 rolls searched, all skunks
Loose teller halves: $15.50 searched, 1 90% Kennedy half found

Total of $2,085.50 searched, 2 90% and 4 40% Kennedy halves found.

No big silver numbers, but the low volume hasn't put me out much either.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's nice that you were able to pull silver. It seems we both average about the same. Have you come across loose MWRs? I had a pair of boxes last week from Brinks that had loose rolls in there. The boxes were sealed and stamped but it felt shady to me.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny you mention that. I thought that the crimping on a lot of rolls was sloppier that I've seen in my other boxes, and I think the other boxes all came from the same source since they were identical in terms of yellow and white String rolls and brown and yellow flat String boxes. One of my other boxes even had the same "4015" stamp as this box.

I wouldn't say the ends were as loose as the rolls I re-wrap (I unroll the crimping on one end, push the coins out, put the skunks back in and just fold the loose ends over), but they definitely were not "tight" crimps. I was wondering whether anyone tries to re-crimp ends short of a clean machine crimping. Not sure why anyone would bother.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless the couriers are stealing our silver!!! j/k I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed. We talked once before and you're in the DC/NOVA area right?

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little more CRHing around my office yesterday. One bank had no halves, one had one clad and another, which always seems to have a few MWR at each teller window, sold me three MWRs. The MWRs at this particular bank are always skunks, but I like to tell myself that I am working through a box they had. The rolls are indentical to the yellow and white String rolls that come in my boxes.

So, I'll add $31 to my searched total.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box of halves late last week. The head teller is used to me know but seemed to take a long time retrieving the box from the back. It seems to always take a long time even though I think I'm the only one who orders halves at this branch and the place is not that busy - not sure what she is doing. Anyway, while I was waiting another teller asked what I was doing with all those halves. I told he about collecting, etc. and she asked me if I ever find silver. I told her "hardly at all, but there's other coins I need to complete my collection, etc.". She said that in all her time at the bank she has only seen one silver coin - a beat up quarter. She said she kept it because it was silver and went on to talk about how silver coins look and sound different - guess I won't be finding any customer silver at this branch.

Anyway, the latest box was a terrible skunk. No silver, one clad proof and nothing else of interest at all.

Updated totals:

Boxes: 5 $500 boxes searched, 1 90% Kennedy and 4 40% kennedy halves found
MWRs: 10 $10 rolls searched, all skunks
Loose teller halves: $16.00 searched, 1 90% Kennedy half found

Total of $2,616 searched, 2 90% and 4 40% Kennedy halves found.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to try some coins other than halves and picked up a bunch of CWRs from a friendly branch last Friday. I probably will continue to focus on halves but will delve into other coins that are CWRs from time to time. Results as follows:

Quarters: $60, all skunk (was even shorted by the inclusion of a "no cash value" token and a UK 5 pence)
Dimes: $55, one Rosie ('60)
Nickels: $24, all skunk
Pennies: $17. I'm not really into pennies but wouldn't mind finding Indians or old wheats. I found about 10 wheats (none older than the 30's, I recall) and 20-25% of the pennies were copper. At least 3 penny rolls had a clad dime in them, so it helped me with being shorted on quarters.

All in all not very exciting. If I ask a bank for CWRs I'll continue to take all they will give me, but probably won't spend too much time searching nickels and pennies going forward - I'll just dump them. I'll search the dimes and quarters for the timing being, but my focus will be on halves. Picking up another box today.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walked around the neighborhood of my office today looking for halves that branches might have on hand. No luck finding any until I went to a branch that always seems to have some MWRs on hand. Someone on this board previously said that I am probably just working my way through a box the branch had. Anyway, these MWRs have always been skunks. Today was no different - two rolls with no Ag, no NIFCs, no proofs, nothing. Oh well, didn't take much time or money. I have a box order that's been delayed by the storm but should be in by tomorrow. Updated totals for halves:

MWRs: 12 $10 rolls searched, all skunks
Loose teller halves: $16.00 searched, 1 90% Kennedy half found

Total of $2,636 searched, 2 90% and 4 40% Kennedy halves found.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandy disrupted some coin deliveries and I did not end up with any boxes last week. I try to do a box per week (low volume, I know, but that's how I roll). As a result of the storm, I will receive two boxes this week. If those boxes make me happy I may up my volume going forward, but I don't feel like searching through multiple skunk boxes each week. For me that would be too depressing.

Tried to make up for the lack of boxes by hitting up tellers for halves. One teller told me that someone had just come by and cleared her out of $8.50 in halves - bad timing for me! When I started this I didn't think I would have a lot of competition, but now it's very clear that people are searching for silver at almost all of the banks I go to (and, if not, the tellers are).

No luck finding any halves at other branches on Friday. On Saturday I found a teller who just started the job. He had $3.50 in halves (all clad) and I spied an Ike in his tray ('74 D, also clad, I believe). All in all last week was a bust for silver. In addition to the Ike, I picked up some wheats (oldest was '29), lots of copper pennies, and some state/national park quarters that I didn't have yet. To keep up my spirits I bought a silver quarter ('36) off ebay - overpaid for it but then used $2+ "ebay bucks" against it and end up getting the quarter for $4.

Looking forward to my two boxes this week. Current totals:

MWRs: 12 $10 rolls searched, all skunks
Loose teller halves: $19.50 searched, 1 90% Kennedy half found (I may have forgotten to record some loose halves here and there that I found in small amounts, but they were clad).

Total of $2,640 searched, 2 90% and 4 40% Kennedy halves found.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far November has been a bust. Searched a Sandy-delayed box yesterday and was completely skunked. As bad as the box before it - no silver, proofs, NIFCs or anything else of interest. Picked up a MWR at a branch that always has them and was skunked on that (as I always am on the MWRs from that branch). I have another box due in Friday, although my last box from that branch was also a complete skunk.

All the boxes I have ever searched are of the same type: flat String boxes with yellow and white String rolls inside. Sometimes the boxes are stamped with a date or four-digit code, sometimes not. I know one bank I get boxes from uses Brinks. I don't know the other bank's source yet but believe it may be Dunbar. In any event, I am generally searching a lot of coins that were probably already searched and dumped, but I guess that's standard procedure these days.

Updated totals:

Boxes: 6 $500 boxes searched, 1 90% Kennedy and 4 40% kennedy halves found
MWRs: 13 $10 rolls searched, all skunks
Loose teller halves: $19.50 searched, 1 90% Kennedy half found (I may have forgotten to record some loose halves here and there that I found in small amounts, but they were clad).

Total of $3,150 searched, 2 90% and 4 40% Kennedy halves found.

Hats off to you guys who search multiple boxes per week. I just don't have the time to do the running around picking up and dumping. Hopefully my low volume approach gets me at least 1 silver per box, although I am below that average now.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting to pick up a box of halves at the end of the week.

In the meantime, I picked up a bicentennial Ike from a teller tray during a coin dump this morning. A coin machine in one of my dump branches that I have used many times before was having a fit with halves today. It couldn't take more than a few dollars without seizing up and then spitting some halves into a reject tray. The machine was making terrible noises. After a long while I had only dumped about $80 so I called it quits and went to another branch where the machine worked just fine.

I tried a new branch and scored a grand total of one clad half. I also picked up some CWRs this afternoon (10 rolls of quarters, 1 dime roll, 2 nickel rolls). All the CWRs were a bust, although I scored some state and national park quarters needed for my sets of those. I also picked up my first Panama quarter Balboa. Apparently it's worth exactly 25 cents, but I'll hold onto it as a novelty.

I think the branch I get most of my CWRs from takes in coins from downtown merchants and is not as likely to receive a collection dump as a bank in or near a residential area, in my opinion. Anyway, my first CWRs yielded a Rosie, so I am hooked. The CWRs don't tie up much cash to begin with and can be dumped very easily. I'm not yet convinced that it's worth my time to search boxes other than halves when looking for silver, but I'll keep trying the CWRs in case I hit a collection dump.

HH

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quarter Balboa is at home and I forget the exact year, but I did some research and learned that they were silver until '66. This one is later than '66.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The quarter Balboa is at home and I forget the exact year, but I did some research and learned that they were silver until '66. This one is later than '66.

No, they were silver until 1962. There were none minted from 1963 to 1965, and they made clad quarters starting 1966.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread