How I got silver from another person at the coin counter today for free

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has worked for me several times and I am just sharing what I think is a decent piece of advice on getting more silver in your pocket when you notice another customer at the coin counter has it and doesn't know or care.

The story:

Teller is helping another customer to dump their coin jug as I wait in line to use the coin counter. Teller says to customer "here are coins the machine is rejecting, they are silver, the machine doesn't take em." Customer continues to put the silver dimes in her pocket. Prior to the ticket print-out for her dollar amount I ask the customer "Excuse me, do you have a bank account here? Customer says "no." Me: "I will let you cash your ticket via my bank account for those three silver dimes you just put in your pocket. Customer replies "Sure, I was just going to give them away as change anyway." Customer saves the 6% fee on her 400+ dollars in coin, I got $7.35 for free. Win-win for you and the other customer. This has worked once before, and is a great win-win for you and the person dumping the coin. The bank didn't seem to mind too much on this one. I hope this works for you too!

Upvote 0

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Customer says "yes". then what do u do?

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think in that case, I would ask if I could have the silver (yes, for free). If they say no, I would offer a buck a piece for each coin. Its amazing how many people use the machines at my banks that don't actually have an account.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried that once, the person said that I couldn't have them and didn't care about the fee.

She then gave them to the teller in exchange for new dimes.

I was next in line behind her and bought them from the teller.

Adamkir

Aug 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
TheMastermind said:

I truely hate few but that is a real nasty lowlife IMHO

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
If she did have an account, I would of offered her a buck a piece for them.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried that once, the person said that I couldn't have them and didn't care about the fee.

What a moron! It really goes to show you how dumb and ignorant the average person can be. Glad you still grabbed them up anyway!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread