Quick question on dumping etiquette

theproph

Oct 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started CRH this month. I have started by buying $200 worth of dimes from 2 different banks, ordered 2 boxes of halves and 2 boxes of dimes from my bank and am going to start dumping at my fiancees bank since they just put in a brand new coin counter that's really fast at sorting.

My question is how much do you guys dump at a time? Is there a dollar/coin amount that you deem too much per dump? Currently I have $700 in dimes and $100 in halves that I need to dump and am wondering if its better to dump small amounts over time or just dump a large amount once? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Out of $750 in dimes Ive found 3 pre 64s. Skunked on halves so far.

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I dump all at once, I have about 500-600$ in coin (AT MAX) and have dumped it all at once. Nothing wrong with it :) Just don't cause to much trouble, if the bags keep filling, take a break.
Happy Hunting, Welcome, gratz on the dime finds :)
Wickaboag

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
i just buy the half dollars, open them at the bank. Use the bathroom. Then return the clad right then and there. Then I go wash my hands...

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really isn't a definite answer to your question. Every bank is different. Even different branches of the same bank on the same street can have different rules. I have a dream dump bank that has told me on numerous occasions that I can bring in as much as I want, as often as I want, and it will never be a problem. Thats been going on for around 3 years now and so far no problems whatsoever, and I have dumped up to $1600 at a time. On the other hand, I once lost a dump bank after just a few weeks of dumping ~$500 weekly, and I'd even gotten "permission" from the branch manager to dump up to $1000 weekly before I began.

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I just "relieved" myself of $1800+ today. I have a good relationship at my bank or else I wouldn't go that high.
Hers a good tip that I always do. If you have young kids take them along. Trust me it works, I always tell them they are searching coins to fill up books (which they do) and the tellers think it's a great idea.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
kevinbomb123 said:
I use TD for my dumps,only because i have quite a large balance and any sign of resistance i can/have made phone calls to higher ups who resolved the issue/issues.

$i usually dump $1000 in halves + $1000 in quarters+$200 in nickels.

They have to change the bags 14 times.

I dump tuesday and thursday.

Lmao 14 times... Nice!

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lmao 14 times... Nice!

Currently the machine is programmed to fill a halve bag at $100......i've heard people on this forum say it can be programmed for $500.

Quite a bit of plastic waste,i help carry the bags to the vault door but no further the $100 halve bags weigh like 8 pounds.....lol there coinloks too so they can take $1000 no problem.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
kevinbomb123 said:
Currently the machine is programmed to fill a halve bag at $100......i've heard people on this forum say it can be programmed for $500.

Dawg some banks by me take 100 dollars at a time some 200, others 1000.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most I have dumped at one bank in one visit is $4,500, all halves. Their machine has 4 bags and all denominations are mixed so they only had to change the bags twice.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add i used to do a $1000 bag of ikes every week but i was never finding anything so i stopped......now those had to be counted by hand by the tellers,now i just order ikes to spend.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quite a bit of plastic waste,i help carry the bags to the vault door but no further the $100 halve bags weigh like 8 pounds.....lol there coinloks too so they can take $1000 no problem.

the halves on my bank counter is $1000

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish the coin counter at my credit union would take halves. So I plan on turning in a little bit here and a little bit there in rolls, since I don't know of any other coin counters in town that is not a coinstar. wish me luck. I get my first box of halves tomorrow. Yeah!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish the coin counter at my credit union would take halves. So I plan on turning in a little bit here and a little bit there in rolls, since I don't know of any other coin counters in town that is not a coinstar. wish me luck. I get my first box of halves tomorrow. Yeah!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Why don't you open another bank account at a nearby bank and just deposit the halves into your account after you check them?

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that there is no one right answer, but I personally wouldn't dump in the $1000 range unless I previously cleared it with the branch.

I would love to dump some of high numbers I see here but I am currently only using one bank for dumping (although I move around between branches). If the branch has a machine that takes halves I dump anywhere from $100 to $300+. If the branch does not have a machine I bring up to 10 rolls to the teller (but usually closer to 5 or 6 rolls). I'm trying to stay under the radar so that I don't lose this one bank as a dump. A couple branches have set their machines not to take halves, so I don't want to do anything that would cause the other branches with machines to do the same thing.

This is a little time consuming but I am keeping my CRHing for halves

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I minimize my dumps so I dont anger my new connections :)

Last edited:

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually work at a large local credit union and we have a self service coin machine which consists of the following

12 Bags Total

Pennies - 3 --$50 ea
Dimes - 2 --$1k ea
Nickels - 2 --$500 ea (I think)
Quarter - 3 --$1k ea
Halves - 1 --$1k
Dollar Coin - 1 -$1k

This is a great guide. Once a month I bring my ladies gift cards for coffee since they are emptying the bags because of me. I know it's their job but I want them to know that I appreciate it.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dump about $1000 per visit when it is a giant bin that is filled, $500 or less when it is bags. The bins can hold about 4k so I no scare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread