Competitive hunting

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I don't know if I've got any coinroll hunting competition where I live, but I have found out why it's hard to find silver dollars and the like. I was talking with a friend of mine recently, talking about coin collecting, as I'd heard from his wife that he did it. He said that he gets lots of silver dollars from the banks, as well as other coins. They even save them for him. The kicker is that he work's for an armored car company and gets them when he stops at the banks and businesses. I'm definately in the wrong business. It doesn't sound like he does coin roll hunting, but on the other hand I'm not going to mention it to him either. He's got enough of an advantage as is. I only had a little while to talk with him, so I'll talk again and ask which banks he stops at. Definately makes it harder to get the good ones when they are being saved for someone else.

Upvote 0

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Back when I was coin roll hunting, I was doing it by myself for awhile. Then I showed my friend what I was doing and showed him what I had collected so far. He's the most competitive person I've ever known, so naturally he wanted to do it as well. He turned it from a fun activity where I can have fun, to a competition between the two of us and it got less and less fun. Plus I was getting twice as many coins from the banks, and they didn't like that. Keep the secret, it'll be better in the long run.

I'm not trying to sound whiny or dark here, just giving my opinion! :P

OP
OP
B

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I agree with you completely. The last thing I want to do around here is start a coin roll hunting stampede. That would get old awfully quick. I'll just sit back & catch what I can without revealing how I get them.

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
First rule of Coin Roll Hunting Club....

You don't talk about Coin Roll Hunting!

(Except on Treasure Net)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
WOW that's gotta be pretty cool getting silver dollars held for you. Your friend is pretty lucky. In fact any of you that have tellers and others helping out. That's really awesome to find good peps out there willin to help out so much.

Congrats to all of you that have friends helping.

Postalrevnant

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
J.J. haven't seen you post for awhile. Welcome back. Ditto on not talking, at least to anyone in the same area. I've mentioned it to some out of state friends but I don't think they tried it. I know at least one person in my county is hunting but I think they are small time at least I hope so. Maybe the fact that they are getting all my discards is slowing them down. :D

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
goldinmypan said:
J.J. haven't seen you post for awhile. Welcome back. Ditto on not talking, at least to anyone in the same area. I've mentioned it to some out of state friends but I don't think they tried it. I know at least one person in my county is hunting but I think they are small time at least I hope so. Maybe the fact that they are getting all my discards is slowing them down. :D
LOL... I know that if all I was getting was the rejects from some of the hunters here that I would be totally discouraged!
HH,
Bob

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
There is a teller where I dump my halves who saves them for her grandfather :) he isn't liking me most likely :)
Best Regards, Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread