94$ in halves - first time, absurd results

skyet

Nov 22, 2006
south jersey!
I only found this forum a week ago, but have been reading nonstop. Today I decided to take some cash and go looking for halves. First stop at my local bank, the woman emptied out their little bank coinstar type thing for 93.50$ in loose halves. Driving away, I pulled out a handful and saw lots of silver rims.

Here are the results. It's all downhill from here :P

97!! 65-70 40%'s
4 64 90%'s
2 franklins (48d, 62)
1 45 walker with rim hits
1 1912 (edit 1912d) BARBER

82 71 and up.

Digital camera batteries are dead, but will try and get a picture up :) So exciting, excellent hobby.

Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Wow! Yeah, that's a really good amount you've got there, and as far back as a 1912 barber!

BTW, welcome to the forum! ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
wow! you dont see many barbers being found in the rolls! great stuff!

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
WOW :o :o :o :o :o :o

I have been through several thousands of dollars worth of halves and have not found a Barber!

Your hooked, there is no help for you now but to keep searching ;).

HH
Mr.T

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything over 5% I consider a good return. 50% silver ratio is amazing.

Congrats

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yowza, the hat trick in half hunting (Franklin-Walker-Barber) in your first visit!! Astounding! Congrats!

OP
OP
skyet

skyet

Nov 22, 2006
south jersey!
Yeah. I really couldn't believe my luck. At first I thought I was mistaken, that 65's-70's weren't reaaally silver because I was finding just so many. My girlfriend was also pretty jealous, as she is the manager of a coin and jewelry store, and felt the Barber find was kinda wasted on me :)

Anyway, today I went to another branch of the same bank near my home, and bought their coin machine's halves (around $730), and found... 4 40%'s. Better than nothing, but after yesterday's success I was really in no rush for a reality check.

I also went back to the bank I got the 105 silver coins from yesterday with the intention of buying every last coin in their machine. Unfortunately, the teller said that they only really sell the halves out of the machines, because they just have rolls of the other stuff. "it's the same as in the machine" :( I would VERY much like to get my hands on any and all change in the machine that may have come from the same source, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

I have one more question while I'm at it -- when looking for new banks that may have halves, do you all usually just call ahead and see if they have rolls in their vaults or whatever, or just go out and hit them all anyway?

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
skyet said:
Yeah. I really couldn't believe my luck. At first I thought I was mistaken, that 65's-70's weren't reaaally silver because I was finding just so many. My girlfriend was also pretty jealous, as she is the manager of a coin and jewelry store, and felt the Barber find was kinda wasted on me :)

Anyway, today I went to another branch of the same bank near my home, and bought their coin machine's halves (around $730), and found... 4 40%'s. Better than nothing, but after yesterday's success I was really in no rush for a reality check.

I also went back to the bank I got the 105 silver coins from yesterday with the intention of buying every last coin in their machine. Unfortunately, the teller said that they only really sell the halves out of the machines, because they just have rolls of the other stuff. "it's the same as in the machine" :( I would VERY much like to get my hands on any and all change in the machine that may have come from the same source, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

I have one more question while I'm at it -- when looking for new banks that may have halves, do you all usually just call ahead and see if they have rolls in their vaults or whatever, or just go out and hit them all anyway?
I do a google of an area I want to hit and type in say "Banks Detroit Mi" google maps that is. This really helps out on hitting on the new areas and I never call ahead, might give someone an idea :P
Best Regards, Ray

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
skyet

skyet

Nov 22, 2006
south jersey!
I hit some more banks friday on my way home from work. Lots ($60+) of loose halves, and around 520 from 5 banks.

About 4 or 5 40%'s from the loose, and when we opened up the rolls later, pretty good results overall. A total of 22 40%'s, 3 64's, and 1 52 franklin.

So yeah, completely addicted :( I'm heading back to the local branch that gave me 97 40%'s and the barber/walker/2 franklins on saturday. I have devised a hard luck story about collected coins that got accidentally traded into the coinstar by either my girlfriend. I can't let other change that was possibly brought in by the Barber and infinite silver person to go unsearched :) I am pretty certain that if I appeal to the branch manager she will relent and let me buy our their coinstar. Wish me luck!

skyet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread