Is CRH on the verge of a big breakout?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of those hobbies that not a lot of people know about, kinda the way we like it! ;D But so many people are getting into it, including some who don't even know about this forum, is it possible we might see some 30-second spot about it on a local news show? This isn't a new idea by far, but so many are getting into it and loving it that I have a feeling somehow it'll get some wider exposure, news-wise. Is this likely?

Upvote 0

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
I think your right. It's getting a lot of exposure here lately. In fact, I saw an article about coin roll hunting in the January, 2007 issue of Lost Treasure the other day. It wont be long before there's no more silver to find. I don't understand why it's there in the first place. How many people see them before we do? Why don't the banks and reserves pull out the silver? Would it be worth it to them to pull it out? I think so. Let's enjoy it while it lasts. HH to all.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
All of the bank's in my area's tellers all look for silver in coins turned in if they get a chance to. Since my wife was a teller she told me at times when it gets kinda slow some of the tellers will pull the bag from the machine and look for silver any coin type.

It does seem to have some good exposure. And I would wager to say that since many tellers are pulling out the silver, sooner or later those boxes are certainly gonna get slimmer and slimmer. So even if the CRH's aren't cleaning them out, if the teller's are ensuring that they don't make it back to the armored cars then our supply will certainly diminish.

I just hope I will be able to CRH and get some more halves before any of our fears come to bear. More exposure, or the government deciding to pull em and take the silver out.

After all sure would love to get a few more Walkers LOL :)

Postalrevnant

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
When I was a kid, I was at a friend's house and her dad had a big bucket of pennies and he was going through them looking for wheat pennies. That was the first I had ever heard about it. It's nothing new. It may be getting more popular, but I don't think it'll ever get huge...just more spread out...

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
WE ARE NOT ALONE

WE ARE NOT ALONE
I have came across others in my area, if I could justput a tracking device on them I could be one step ahead of them. and then again I have ran into oh we save these for a certain customer. Got to love this hobby some times you do good and sometimes well you just have a thrill of the hunt.
Best Regards, Ray

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I personally would rather there NOT be a "big breakout", as that means more silver for US!
;)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lots of competition in my area for halves. It's certianly nothing new here. But, my town also has the largest coin club in the state of Indiana, so that could also be a reason.

But it is certainly nothing new by any means. My grandpa used to do it back in the day. He said when he was like 10 years old he would empty out the coke machines as a part time job and pull out any good coins and take them to the coin dealers. This was back in the 1940s.

Then when the fed released silver dollars into circulation he cherrypicked the best ones for his collection and returned the rest to the bank.

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi,

SHHHH! Let's keep it quiet:-)

Let's put it this way, I haven't been approached by Katie Couric or Andy Rooney yet :-)

Have Fun,
Bill

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Within an hour of my town in every direction you can find rolls of halves with different markings on them that have all been searched. And the banks that don't have the searched rolls respond with this: "Someone was just in here yesterday asking for them as well."

Gotta stick to boxes I guess.

I just got my dad interested as well. He searched $300 worth of Brinks rolls and found 2 40% and a gold plated 76. He also ordered more from the bank. Addicting to say the least, haha.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SSSSHHHHHH!!!!! We don't want everyone to know!!!! ;D I was in the bank the other day picking up my box of halves and there was another guy in there with bags of coin for deposit.He saw me getting my box and asked what I do with them,I told him the truth and he said he knows a few guys that do the same thing.Then he handed me his card,it turns out he was a coin dealer.He asked what I do with the silver and I told him ebay and the amount it usually bring per roll.Then he said ,that is about what they pay without any fees and I should come in to his store and check it out.So i'll give it a shot the next time I have more rolls to sell.
Anyway,nothing good lasts forever,so we might as well enjoy it and take advantage of it while we have the chance.I do it for extra income,if I could, I would save them for a rainy day in the future.Maybe when I hit the lottery,i'll buy a whole truckload!! :) :) Good luck and H.H.-diggummup
PS-I mark all my rolls too.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone gets Coins magazine, there are at least two articles in the current issue talking about roll hunting. In particular, they mention that getting rolls of halves has the best chance of finding silver. Our time may soon be up!

Scott

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not going to worry about it too much. When I first got into this hobby only 8 short months ago, I was spending pretty much every free minute and all my folding money on collecting and sorting through halves. Now I go when it's convenient and I occasionally keep folding money in my wallet - sometimes for days at a time ;) !

I'm fairly sure that while there may be a short term increase in roll hunters, there will be some that try it once, get skunked, then quit; some that try it for a while and then have difficulty getting rid of the coins they don't keep and quit; some that give their returns to coinstar and get tired of losing the 10% fee and quit; and then a relative few that keep at it.

If the price of silver drops dramatically, I'm confident a lot of 40%'s will find their way right back into bank vaults, probably rolled together and waiting for one of us to find them. Of course, if silver rises dramatically, there will almost certainly be a news story (or series of stories) about this hobby and we'll all be competing for whatever's left. But that will make for exciting stories amongst those of us in the forum - when we find that little backwoods bank that gives us loads of silver.

At the very worst, I think it will be a temporary craze and then things will get back to the way they are now. Remember how many flags you saw in the months just after 9-11? Pretty much every car and house proudly flew 'Old Glory'. Now how many do you see?

Of course................. I could be wrong, but at least I HOPE that's all that happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread