Running into your competition at the bank: Best friend or worst enemy?

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a mixed bag, and I know you all have vastly different opinions on here regarding your "competition." I personally do not care about competition (In all the territory I have covered in the city and the burbs, I don't have a whole lot), so long as I am getting fresh boxes from the bank each time. The way I see it, every CRHer does it different, has a different bank roll to play with, holds a different threshold for the effort to do the hunt, different reasons to hunt, different skill and technique levels, and likely does not do the same exact territory that you are covering. Sure they are taking silver from circulation which inevitably will drain the supply, but these people probably have a whole lot more in common with you than most people you encounter in your day to day life. I am pretty confident on this one, actually. It is crazy to me when I read about heated confrontations over CRHing. If there is ever an issue, there are plenty of banks everywhere (at least in the city and burbs where many of us live). If this hobby is so important to you that you need to act aggressively to stop others from hunting, GET A LIFE :) This is fun, and a little friendly competition is okay. Play nice, :love8: we all have more in common than you think!

WB

Upvote 0

theproph

Oct 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankfully my town doesnt know what CRH is yet. Whenever I go to the banks to get large amounts of dimes/halves they always look at me funny and wonder what Im doing. When I started every bank I went to asked what I was doing with such large amounts of coins and that they have never had someone who gets as much coinage as I do. I just tell them Im a collector of sorts. Its a good indication Im the only one doing it in my town.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke the CRH seal in this town, and over the years I see more half boxes in the vaults that are not mine. who cares, as long as the banks keep ordering me my boxes. Whenever I run into a fellow CRH, I ask him what he's been finding lately and start up a nice conversation

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I spray paint my clad edges silver and write not silver on the obverse or mark them up. 3 people have gotten my dumps.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't mind if you want to order boxes but stay away from my CWRs :laughing7:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Within 5 years of consistent roll hunting, I have only once run into competition. It was a non-account holder at one of my banks that poached a box of halves that I'd ordered. I didn't actually see him, but the teller relayed the story. He came in, bought 10 rolls, went out to his car to search, brought them back in, and asked for more. The teller shooed him off. Sheesh.

As matter-of-fact, I have never even run into anyone else dumping coin, period.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When the ladies are changing the bags I ask if there are more people dumping large amounts of halves. There are quite a few on my stretch of highway. I get a receipt every $250 so when they have to change a bag I can plead that it wasn't me bringing in all these coins.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've met a few. One guy was a total jerk. Another guy was secretive (fine) but we had a good conversation and he gave me his card (nice).

Last weekend was funny though.

I was dumping dimes at a bank in not the nicest part of town, running a smaller amount and covering up the total. This guy comes in with literally a laundry hamper filled a few inches with half dollars. Not covered or anything. He just walked in and started pouring. He was very nice and we exchanged pleasantries, but LOL, dude, that sounds like a good opportunity to get robbed/followed, being that obvious.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Haven't seen anyone in five years but hear about them from many of my regular banks. I do see their dumps everywhere as they crap all over the state. The tellers seem to hate them and often ask me for halves to top off their dumps so they can ship them out. As for friend or enemy - the real competition is the tellers and if you treat them like an enemy forget it. If you do it long enough you will even outlast the tellers as they turnover frequently due to the low pay.

Maine_Jim

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read all of these post but am not sure what you are doing. Are you looking for silver coins? I use to be a manger at a food retailer and checked all the rolls in the safe to get the silver but didnt think everyone was doing it.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to buffboy a few times in ac. When i was dumping in the coin counter. And i saw one other guy,He ran off like a scared rabbit.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
TimZim said:
I talked to buffboy a few times in ac. When i was dumping in the coin counter. And i saw one other guy,He ran off like a scared rabbit.

Lol nice dawg

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen two hunters at my banks.. Both times we grinned at each other and went about our ways..

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard of a CRH who used to do a large volume in my area, but apparently he no longer hunts. It still kinda sucks because he might have sucked up a lot of the silver. There is one more CRH in my are who does very small volume. One bank told me that he comes in and gets around $100 worth at a time. Another bank had $70 in CWR halves and told me that another man had already searched them. Another bank had $90 in CWR quarters that had a black sharpie line down them. I think that it is all the same person.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I killed a CRHer in Texas just to watch him die....

-Johnny

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never ran into another hunter at any of my branches, I did have one guy that they told me saw my boxes on the counter one day and asked about them, he ordered once or twice and never came back for the last boxes, I bought them with my regular order and they were good boxes for me too! That was months ago though. another branch told me a little while back, that some guy keeps coming in to ask if I dropped off any halves and if I did he buys them some times, Weird. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread