Funny story about a bank trying to turn me away. ( beware wall of text!)

theproph

Oct 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the wall of text ahead of time!
I have a little story concerning a bank I attempted to open an account with and make them a dump bank. For starters I called this bank a week earlier and asked if they charge a fee to members to process coins, they say that that service is FREE OF CHARGE. I also chose this bank because my father in law owns a business in town that has an employee (Ill call her Jane) that works Sunday mornings for him who also works at this bank and is pretty high up on the employee chain. After I called the bank I talked to Jane and asked if her bank would mind if I processed roughly $2,000 in loose change per week, she says no and that it won’t be an issue. Jane tells me its better to bring it in loose versus wrapped so they don’t have to break open the rolls. Jane also said the tellers are usually complaining about everything especially when they are bored so itll give them something to do (the coin machine isn’t self serve). So I say great Ill open an account.

I walk in and very nicely ask a teller who do I need to speak to to open an account with this particular bank The teller waves over someone at a desk and she comes up and introduces herself to me, I do the same, and then we head to her desk to talk about open a savings account. I tell her right off the bat that Im interested in opening a personal savings account but I have a unique problem where I need to process roughly $1,000-$2,000 worth of coins per week and that Jane said it shouldn’t be an issue. The lady helping me looks at me puzzled and asks where all the coins are coming from. I tell her Im a collector and leave it at that. She then tells me “For something like that Id think we would have to charge you some sort of fee for making us run our coin machine.” I then state that I called ahead of time and asked if there were any fees to process coins and the head teller said no and Jane also said there isn’t a fee. The lady helping me then says she has to talk to someone so she runs off to discuss this situation with someone higher up in the bank, it took 20min before she returned! She finally comes back and tells me I have to open a business account in order to process that much in loose coins per week. She then goes on to say “Its really expensive to setup a business because you have to go through the state and pay fees plus lawyer fees blah blah blah (trying to scare me away and make it seem like a lot of work).” Guess what? Jokes on her because I actually have an LLC setup already for a side business I do and I tell her that. She looks at me blankly like damnit, that didn’t scare him away. She then leaves again to talk to the same lady she spoke to before which takes another 10min! She comes back and says ok that’s fine but there will be a $30 fee on the account each week! I say Ive never heard of that before and stand up and thank her for her time and politely leave.

So now Im pissed because they obviously made up some :censored: policy so they didn’t have to deal with me. If they already had this policy in place that would have been fine with me but it doesn’t take 30min to relay that policy to the lady helping me. I then go to my father in laws business to help him with some merchandise orders and I tell him about the :censored: I went through at the bank because he has had his business account at the same bank for over 20+ years, plus he has purchased 3 houses and 6 cars over that 20 years with this bank and he has never been impressed with them. The only reasons he uses them is because his brother in law worked there for a number of years before he retired. My story pisses him off as well so he asks how much in loose change I have right now, I tell him roughly $1160. He gets a huge grin on his face then goes back to his office and comes back with a deposit slip. He tells me to take every cent I have to the bank and tell them to process the coins through his business and he will cut me a check when it hits his account. I laugh and tell him its fine Ill find a different bank but he tells me no and insists I do it. He finally talks me into it so I go home and grab all $1160 worth of change and head to the bank. I call him and tell him he is probably going to get an angry call soon and he said “Good if they cant do this for me they don’t deserve my business.” I walk in, the same lady that pushed me away 45 min earlier is looking at me puzzled now because Im walking in with a huge canvas bag full of coins. I plop in on the counter and say I need to process this and deposit it into this account and I give her the deposit slip. She then attempts to lift the bag which she cant so she slides it onto her rolling chair and says they will process it and deposit it into the account. I say thank you very much and that I appreciate it and I walk out. My father in law then tells me that this is how Im going to process all of my coins until they hit him with some :censored: fee and when that happens he is going to go raise hell and pull his account and take it to another bank that his son is a board of directors at since he hates this bank anyways. My father in law deposits roughly $600,000 per year through his business with this bank and he is a fairly well known member of the community so they most likely wont piss him off to the point he pulls his account. I normally wouldn’t deposit $1200 at a time because of the weight of the bag. I usually will do $700 max a couple times a week. This was going to be my 2nd dump bank because I wanted to up my total amount searched from $2000ish per week to $3500 and spread out the burden between 2 banks. Also my town is small, population of around 30k and only 11 banks so its hard to find a good place to dump, I have no problem getting the coin, just dumping it. I did get my 2nd dump bank and my father in law is willing to take on the bank if they have a problem, he even said he will take my coins in for me once in awhile to show face and make them realize this is going to be a weekly thing. In the end I think I won even though I hate causing problems. My other dump bank (where my brother in law is on the board of directors) loves me and I always chat with them during and after I dump and they know they usually have to change the bag of halves when I come in which has never been a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glorious. Who do those tellers think they are? Glad you got your justice. Banking is all about customer service, and those :censored: better take a deep :censored:!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be careful that there isn't an investigation as to why your father in law and investigate why he's depositing more cash and cutting you a check for it, that could be suspicious, especially to the IRS.

OP
OP
T

theproph

Oct 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like my father in law said, its their :censored: job to process money and when they refuse to process money they are refusing to do their job. Having a policy is one thing but taking 30 min to make up some censored policy to scare me away crosses the line.

OP
OP
T

theproph

Oct 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be careful that there isn't an investigation as to why your father in law and investigate why he's depositing more cash and cutting you a check for it, that could be suspicious, especially to the IRS.

Im actually on the payroll for his business because I do his ordering and fill in when employees are sick so it makes it look a little less sketchy. Also he has a cash business so he will deposit anywhere between $500 - $10,000 per day so its not going to look weird since everyday is different. Some years he will make $400k, others upwards of $800k so we have a lot of leeway.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
You could open an account pay the fee and do Timzim's volume every week. $30,000 in halves every week might change their mind. They would be begging you to bring in 1-2k every week!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions