td bank penny arcade, anyone use?

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used one but I m pretty sure it is not a high end model which means it is very loud, slow and counts are not the best.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use penny so much that I am now giving tips to the tellers on the best way to use her..LOL.. I am normally miscounted about a dollar every time.. It is just something I have to deal with.. Also I have had a couple times where it has even shorted me five bucks, but nothing more.. I have also found numerous silvers in the reject tray..

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use penny so much that I am now giving tips to the tellers on the best way to use her..LOL.. I am normally miscounted about a dollar every time.. It is just something I have to deal with.. Also I have had a couple times where it has even shorted me five bucks, but nothing more.. I have also found numerous silvers in the reject tray..

If your finding silver in the tray who cares about a couple bucks!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you something for sure it counts better you. In 1000th of the time whats that worth? I can take it apart and put it together again. Penny is very good.

Walla183

Sep 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All TD banks here limited the bags to $100 for halves. Good for other denominations

OP
OP
D

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
does dime bag hold 1k? i was thinking why search dimes... when i can just run them through the machine and let it do the work for me :)

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does dime bag hold 1k? i was thinking why search dimes... when i can just run them through the machine and let it do the work for me :)

The dime bags hold 500$ I dump 750 in dimes at a time, this way they normally only have to change the bag once..

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet sweet Penny. She has given me many oz of silver in reject trays over the months, not to mention the over $50 I have pulled from her tubes. Oh Penny, you know how I like it when you give it up so easily. Shhhh... I won't tell anyone :3some:

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you something for sure it counts better you. In 1000th of the time whats that worth? I can take it apart and put it together again. Penny is very good.

Why would you need to count them? If I buy a box($500) and I take out 2 silver coins? The math is pretty simple. Personally I keep a little clad on hand and I just toss 2 more clad in the bag with the rest of the box and. Got 500...

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a region that TD Bank recently expanded into so the old branches have old coin counters that are slow and mix denominations, while the new branches have the regular Penny Arcade with the touch screen with the Penny character, and a Talaris / De La Rue Mach 9 inside. Most of the old machines do not work properly with halves because the coins won't feed out of the hopper into the chute inside the machine. The new machines only put $100 or $300 per bag of halves, but the tellers usually just keep reseating the bag until each one has $500. The $100 limit is because if the halves bag fills more, it blocks the reject tube. I have gotten a few dollars in change from previous customers this way, as well as steel Canadian coins off the magnet in the removable limiter at the top.

I have heard these machines often miscount dimes as pennies, so if you are returning dimes I would use an old, slow "rail technology" coin counter. As for halves, both seem perfectly accurate to me. I'm not sure about cents, but I return a lot anyway since even if I am shorted a little it is worth it for the time saved.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to, still do on occasion for mixed bags and quarters/nickels/cents.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
The old machines usually reject dimes and quarters,not always halves (silver) , dimes are very often counted as pennies and halves are rarely counted wrong. I think most people who say halves are counted wrong had machine rolls that were light. I have used dozens of different td machines hundreds of times to come up with this theory.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure why people have such a hard time with using these machines. I have never been shorted, and have dumped thousands into the penny arcade. I have found a few silver quarters, dimes, and even a franklin half. I would also say i have got somewhere between 75$ to 100$ of other peoples money because they do not let the machine finish counting. I will turn it on and before i dump my coins in hear a bunch of coins being counted. I get excited before using one because you never know what your gonna find in the reject tray! boxes of dimes get gobbled up very quickly in those machines as well.

OP
OP
D

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
still undecided to use or not... would have to sign up for an account too

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use them but like everyone else says, they barely hold any halves so if you dump a box you will piss off the tellers by having them change it multiple times, not to mention they are very loud :headbang: . i would just dump in smaller quantities and with more frequency. i find the count very accurate

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
One other theory I have about td is that on a rare occasion the teller on purpose blocks the reject tube with a half bag that wasn't cut short. I have long since made it a practice to either fill the bag on purpose or just ask to check for my "rejects" . My usual practice is to dump 90 dollars at any given branch as to not fill it up.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help me to understand the tubes. Are they visible or reachable without doing something suspicious like running your hand up inside the machine, or do you need TD to open the machine for you to see the tubes? I don't use TD and am just curious. I always check reject trays at banks and coinstar, but haven't found anything in them. I have found coins on the belt inside the counters that spin around (which open from the top) and elsewhere around the machine (on the floor, on top of the machine, etc.), but am not familiar with the tubes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread