Odd coin found in roll of penny, need help with ID.

Kaynos

Sep 13, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 374
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 2,053
Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
1973 Greek 50 lepta, worth only a couple cents.

Last edited:

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy seeing the odd coins and learning what they are. So, thanks for posting it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with some of these members. You'd think they'd be gracious and friendly rather than snide and rude. Oh well...

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due Diligence.

Unless you are a Young Numismatist, you are expected to be able to do certain things. Googleing the letters on a coin, easily gave up the answer. You ask a basic question, you will get some snark. you will also get the answer, most of the time.

If the post was prefaced with "I looked everywhere, and couldn't find it" that is different.

The coin is neat, and rare for US penny rolls, that's for sure.

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree in principle... But it's cool to see pics of the weird coins and to try to guess what it is. I'd actually like to see more of what people are pulling from rolls. I've gotten some weird stuff myself. Fortunately I can read the letters on my coins. (I speak the russian too.) I understand cyrillic letters can be tricky...

I've been coin collecting for nine days. This site is pretty cool and the info is awesome. It would be cool if I can contribute to that knowledge base and help some new collectors. Most of my friends think my coin collecting weird so it's nice to be around other weirdos. Simply googling stuff is way less fun..

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't blame them for asking. He had a point with the letters. How would you type something like that in? I loved that he posted a pic of the coin (which was very nicely done, btw). as a coin collector, I consider it my pleasure and honor in helping someone who is new to this, in identifying coins. If this is as simple as looking it up in books that I have or typing out what it is, it doesn't hurt to help someone out. And you get back what you give. I have had other people help me with identifying coins, with educating me. I thank them for their help and pass along this new-found knowledge.

Hugs and Smiles,

Love Garoulady

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone asks a basic simple question which could be easily researched, I think it's better to not respond then to be snarky. People are looking for answers, not a scolding.

OP
OP
K

Kaynos

Sep 13, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like garoup lady said, i only asked it cause i could'nt figure out what to type in google. I'm no greek.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem is you can Google about anything. The answers found here were probably googled.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Not trying to bust anyone balls or anything but I just googled "1973 50 aenta coin" and it came up with the answer as the first result. I do like seeing the coins though, always interesting to see the coins of other countries.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a social site, almost everything can be looked up elsewhere, so be social, or go google yourself.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How come whenever someone posts a picture of the side of a roll of halves and says, "Find the silver" no one says, "FIND IT YOURSELF N00B!"?
Thanks for sharing, OP.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think this should be a site for "experts" only. Let's encourage folks who share our interest in this hobby. If you don't want to answer a question then don't - no one is making you. Many years from now the beginner who was encouraged early on will be answering questions for a new crop of beginners. Hopefully everyone will continue to ask and answer on this board - that's the point of social media. Best to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread