Lets talk Ikes

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love me some Ikes. All the tellers around here know I will take whatever they get in the way of Ikes and Halves, so generally speaking, I get almost all of the Ikes that are cashed in around here. I've found a dozen or so '72 T2's, a handful of FEV's, 2 40% ikes, and something like 200 or so "keepers", which I define as '71's and '72's in 63 or better, and '74's and later in 64 or better. Oh, I also keep every T1 bicentennial I come across, their mintage is a fraction of the T2 Bicents.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been stacking 'em and plan to sell on craigslist for a small profit. I can only find 'em over the counter so to speak though, no one will order me bags. If you can get bags, I would search high volume like halves

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
SilverForBrains said:
I've been stacking 'em and plan to sell on craigslist for a small profit. I can only find 'em over the counter so to speak though, no one will order me bags. If you can get bags, I would search high volume like halves

Problem is
Dumping them. How would you
Get rid of them? Dumping high volume of halves
Is tricky enough...

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Problem is
Dumping them. How would you
Get rid of them? Dumping high volume of halves
Is tricky enough...

Why would you want to dump Ikes? Those are the easiest coins to get a profit on.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boristhespider88 said:
Why would you want to dump Ikes? Those are the easiest coins to get a profit on.

Not around me... no premium. Not worth the 5% after fees on ebay.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boristhespider88 said:
I can't sell local either. I put them on eBay and have made a good bit. My first 12 or so I made about $35 bucks on.

I'd love anything over face for mine. I've got about 400 to dump this Friday.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd love anything over face for mine. I've got about 400 to dump this Friday.

I usually put them on eBay for FV plus an ounce or two over what it would cost me to ship. The most I did in a lot was 10 of them, and they (shipping + Final Value) went for a little over $23. I do a few of the nicer ones individually, but I usually always put them in lots of 5 or more.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It turns out even better when people get in bidding wars. I had a 1971-D in pretty rough shape go for $4.14. People are strange like that sometimes.
*shrug*

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boristhespider88 said:
I usually put them on eBay for FV plus an ounce or two over what it would cost me to ship. The most I did in a lot was 10 of them, and they (shipping + Final Value) went for a little over $23. I do a few of the nicer ones individually, but I usually always put them in lots of 5 or more.

Eh that aint worth my time. Packaging, shipping, feedback and complaint management for $5 extra? Ehhh....

BTW that '71-D was probably a Friendly Eagle Variety.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
bigscores said:
Eh that aint worth my time. Packaging, shipping, feedback and complaint management for $5 extra? Ehhh....

BTW that '71-D was probably a Friendly Eagle Variety.

I didn't show the reverse. Plus the coin was practically destroyed. It had been sitting in a bucket full of cigarette butts and rain water for 3 years. I only look for the '72 Type II and '76 Type I. And I am off work right now being full time college student so every buck I can make counts for me.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Ikes are great to leave as tips, I've spent hundreds - and a friend spends some in Jamaica where the locals love 'em. I've listed on Craigslist with nary a bite...along with 17 rolls of BU Bicentennial quarters, no bites there either, as people hoarded millions.

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
I'm with bigscores, not worth my time and effort for the minimal profit I might make. I would like to search some, but getting rid of them quickly would be key for me. I currently do 15-30 boxes of halves a week and could not have my funds tied up while I was dickering around on eBay or Craigslist with a bunch of Ikes.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't do much volume (halves AND dimes are dry here), plus, I have college classes Monday - Friday, so when I'm not studying, I'm putting stuff on eBay. I'm surprised at the crap people will buy on there. I've sold two circulated rolls of bicentennials on there for about $35. I know it's not for everybody. I've wanted to spend them before, but the one time I tried, this girl looked at me like I was an idiot.

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
boristhespider88 said:
I don't do much volume (halves AND dimes are dry here), plus, I have college classes Monday - Friday, so when I'm not studying, I'm putting stuff on eBay. I'm surprised at the crap people will buy on there. I've sold two circulated rolls of bicentennials on there for about $35. I know it's not for everybody. I've wanted to spend them before, but the one time I tried, this girl looked at me like I was an idiot.

I'd be doing the same thing if I were in college, definitely a good way to score a few extra bucks. I've spent some, one time some ghetto chick at a gas station gave me a hard time. Let's just say that she got a full education on just what legal tender means. After that, I got outta there before her boyzzz came after me lol. That was on a road trip for work through jackson, Mississippi.

Just how much of a sample have you taken to determine dimes are dry? I know halves are dry in your area because I watch the "J" guy on another board and he had a helluva run last year cleaning your area out.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd be doing the same thing if I were in college, definitely a good way to score a few extra bucks. I've spent some, one time some ghetto chick at a gas station gave me a hard time. Let's just say that she got a full education on just what legal tender means. After that, I got outta there before her boyzzz came after me lol. That was on a road trip for work through jackson, Mississippi.

Just how much of a sample have you taken to determine dimes are dry? I know halves are dry in your area because I watch the "J" guy on another board and he had a helluva run last year cleaning your area out.

I've just stopped with halves right now. I was finding some silver, but I've never found a proof in a box (I have a coin book to fill with them) and I've never found a 90%er either. I was finding silver dimes in coin rolls at work, but I've done several boxes of dimes and haven't found jack.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boristhespider88 said:
I've just stopped with halves right now. I was finding some silver, but I've never found a proof in a box (I have a coin book to fill with them) and I've never found a 90%er either. I was finding silver dimes in coin rolls at work, but I've done several boxes of dimes and haven't found jack.

You gotta keep your shoulder to the wheel, things will eventually turn... My area sucked for about a year and has been decent ever since.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
bigscores said:
You gotta keep your shoulder to the wheel, things will eventually turn... My area sucked for about a year and has been decent ever since.

Hopefully it will. The only thing I've done really good with is nickels. I have a hard time doing a lot of coins at one time because my hands break out. I'm bad with nickel even though those are my favorite, but all the other coins irritate my hands after awhile so volume is hard for me. I wear glasses and dimes make my eyes hurt even though the silver is pretty easy to spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread