Lets talk Ikes

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
bigscores said:
You gotta keep your shoulder to the wheel, things will eventually turn... My area sucked for about a year and has been decent ever since.

Agreed, your sample must be large enough to get a good reading from. You can't do a few boxes and say "ok my area is no good.". I believe you need to do 50 boxes of dimes before coming to any conclusions. I did 100 boxes last year and 100 boxes this year an had many stretches of 10-15 skunks in a row. I have about 200 keepers total so I wound up averaging right at 1 per box. dimes are tough, but with persistence, they can add up, plus, they are easier to dump than halves.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
BlackOut said:
Agreed, your sample must be large enough to get a good reading from. You can't do a few boxes and say "ok my area is no good.". I believe you need to do 50 boxes of dimes before coming to any conclusions. I did 100 boxes last year and 100 boxes this year an had many stretches of 10-15 skunks in a row. I have about 200 keepers total so I wound up averaging right at 1 per box. dimes are tough, but with persistence, they can add up, plus, they are easier to dump than halves.

I've done about 20 or so.

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
boristhespider88 said:
Hopefully it will. The only thing I've done really good with is nickels. I have a hard time doing a lot of coins at one time because my hands break out. I'm bad with nickel even though those are my favorite, but all the other coins irritate my hands after awhile so volume is hard for me. I wear glasses and dimes make my eyes hurt even though the silver is pretty easy to spot.

Man, I gave up on nickels because they killed my eyes date checking them, dimes for me are much easier to score on if you just edge check them. You seem like a good fella, I'm rooting for you to score some nice bling.

I love dimes, but I hit pretty good on halves so I have to go where the money is. No time or capital for dimes although recently I have considered squeezing some in

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
BlackOut said:
Man, I gave up on nickels because they killed my eyes date checking them, dimes for me are much easier to score on if you just edge check them. You seem like a good fella, I'm rooting for you to score some nice bling.

I love dimes, but I hit pretty good on halves so I have to go where the money is. No time or capital for dimes although recently I have considered squeezing some in

Thanks. I will probably keep trying but nickels are still by far my favorite. I like doing nickels because they are big enough for me to date check and I just lay down in the floor and dump a roll at a time down and look through them. I love finding goodies in the boxes. I've found 2 proof nickels, 9 buffalos, and 19 war nicks in about 15-20 boxes.

Oh, and a magician nickel.

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
boristhespider88 said:
Jack squat lol.

Wow, no wonder you lost faith. Were they all shiny new ones or just plain skunks? I think my longest dry spell was 17 so you have me beat. I still say you should try more, dimes are definitely out there, they are just so watered down by the billions of post 64 clad which has been added circulation the last 50 years, you just have to claw through them.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
BlackOut said:
Wow, no wonder you lost faith. Were they all shiny new ones or just plain skunks? I think my longest dry spell was 17 so you have me beat. I still say you should try more, dimes are definitely out there, they are just so watered down by the billions of post 64 clad which has been added circulation the last 50 years, you just have to claw through them.

I usually do if my bank doesn't have a nickel box laying around, but I haven't found anything good in dimes through a bank... now my job... that's a different story. I had a week that I worked and I found a silver dime each day for 4 days in May. The other days that week I found a war nickel and a silver quarter. I didn't work the other day. I know they are out there, I just have a hard time finding them.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A tip on nickels that helps me out, I let them out of the roll slowly while moving it from say right to left so they lay out partially on top of one another in a single line, but so I can see half of each one. Look for the quality of the strike. Older nickels have a greater relief in the detail, newer dimes look just like a painted line outlining the artwork. I only check the high relief coins. Sometimes If I have a lot of nickels to search, with a brief glance I can pick out buffaloes and war nickels, and the rest just get returned. same thing with pennies, sometimes I do what I call "speed wheats." when I do't feel like the drudgery of looking for errors, I just start dumping out pennies like crazy and pickout the wheats

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverForBrains said:
A tip on nickels that helps me out, I let them out of the roll slowly while moving it from say right to left so they lay out partially on top of one another in a single line, but so I can see half of each one. Look for the quality of the strike. Older nickels have a greater relief in the detail, newer dimes look just like a painted line outlining the artwork. I only check the high relief coins. Sometimes If I have a lot of nickels to search, with a brief glance I can pick out buffaloes and war nickels, and the rest just get returned. same thing with pennies, sometimes I do what I call "speed wheats." when I do't feel like the drudgery of looking for errors, I just start dumping out pennies like crazy and pickout the wheats

Yeah this is how I do nickels, I only need to date check maybe 10 coins per roll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions