Lets talk Ikes

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people on here have said they've been able to do it. I know when I was at West Point, the bank always had a large amount on hand before graduation (it's tradition for a new officer to give one to the first person to salute them), so they must have been ordering them from somewhere.

ZSandmann

Oct 23, 2012
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I believe they can be ordered but they have to be specially called in and you may not find a bank willing to do that.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't even imagine trying to dump those at a bank.. Ouch. I haven't even tried to check with local sources. I do have one LCS that would give me $1.05 for each Ike that I turn in.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i imagine if they can be ordered they are likely rarely searched. Albeit you have to weigh each one.

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, you are hoping to find morgans/peace dollars mixed in with them, not 40% ikes. Also try calling the FED? or the mint?

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Identify-Silver-Ike-Dollars-from-Clad?ugid=10000000001398584 said:
In 1973, 74 and 76, the government issued two different S Ike dollars. One was Copper-Nickel clad, and the other was 40% silver. In the holders or out of the holders, these look nearly identical. Most people cannot tell a silver Ike from the clad Ikes. I know a trick, and I will share it with you - but only you. Put each coin side by side. Lay a kleenex tissue on top of them. The silver coins will shine right through the tissue. The clad will not. It is absolutely apparent. You will know the clad from the silver. Since the silver Ikes are three times the price of clad Ikes, it is critical to know the difference.

Is it true that 40% ikes and clad ikes look nearly identical?

Clad ikes look just like clad kens afterall and most 40% kens look different than clad kens. Are 40% ikes that different from 40% kens?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
No, silver Ikes look like 40% half dollars, although in my experience they look more white. In just about every 40% silver Bicentennial set I've looked at, the edges of the Ike (along with the half and quarter) looks much more like a 90%er than a 65-70 40%er. 65-70 40%ers in SMS and proof sets look almost identical to clad, in my experience the same is certainly not true about the '76-s silvers, they've all stood right out looking like 90%ers with a dark stripe through the centre.

I haven't seen enough '71-'78 Ike silver edges so I can't really be a judge on them, but on the '76ers it stands right out. Of course, the point of hunting Ikes isn't to just get the 40%ers but instead pick out the Morgans, Peace (Modern commemoratives!) and silver eagles.

I'd be confident to edge/sound check Ikes like halves. No need to weigh.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching Ike's is no different than edge checking Kennedy's if you only want silver.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Inform the teller you will not leave the bank until they order you ikes.

Forkeh

Greenie
Oct 30, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never asked for a box; I don't know if it's possible. But, bank tellers and cashiers are usually more than happy to let you buy them out, they don't like dealing with dollar coins.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a roll (20) of Ikes. Spot the 40's. Hint: there are two. Shouldn't be too tough for you fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-1020919768.jpg
    image-1020919768.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 167

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a roll (20) of Ikes. Spot the 40's. Hint: there are two. Shouldn't be too tough for you fellas.

10th from left and the right ender? I don't know. I would actually check every single one of them for proofs and 1972 Type II.

The first one from the left looks like it would bring a premium, the rim looks pristine.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boristhespider88 said:
10th from left and the right ender? I don't know. I would actually check every single one of them for proofs and 1972 Type II.

The first one from the left looks like it would bring a premium, the rim looks pristine.

Piece of cake!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread